Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 10,999 times

Advertisements

Where are all the Puerto Rican communities in Ohio? Can someone tell me the name of the cities or neighbourhoods where there is plenty of us? Or at least a mixed community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Cleveland area.

Lorain, a half hour west of Cleveland or so is about 1/3 to 1/2 hispanic, overwhelmingly Puerto Rican. Although I don't think Lorain is considered that great.

West side of Cleveland, Tremont and other neighborhoods, has a major Puerto Rican population. The Cleveland area is unique in the midwest in that Puerto Ricans are a much larger hispanic group than Mexicans. Cleveland also has more Italian Americans than Polish Americans.

From an ethnic perspective, Cleveland is more east coast-like. In addition to the fact that the east suburbs of Cleveland were founded by Connecticut transplants in the 1800s

But I digress. Basically Lorain and west Cleveland.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
While not on the scale of the Cleveland area Puerto Rican community, the University of Dayton seems to have a large percentage of students being Puerto Rican recently, and some of them are starting to stick around after graduation. I'm not sure if there is one particular neighborhood that they are moving to, however.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Campbell, Ohio outside of Youngstown has a ton of Puerto Ricans.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Cincinnati sharonville and west side is mostly hispanic.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM

364 posts, read 715,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Smack yourself! Those aren't Puerto Ricans out there. An overwhelming majority of the Hispanics you see in those areas are Mexicans. Hell, there is barely even a visible Hispanic population in Cincy and the Puerto Rican population is virtually nonexistent.

Outside of the Cleveland area and a few pockets here and there throughout NEO, there are not many Puerto Ricans in Ohio.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Mostly?? Mostly would suggest at least half.

In both areas, I am sure it is not anymore than 20% hispanic.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM

189 posts, read 399,722 times
Lorain, where I grew up. I'm Puerto Rican myself. The city itself is a dump, but there is a lot of cultural pride among the local Ricans. Most of the Puerto Ricans live on the southside, which has unfortunately deteriorated a lot in recent years. The biggest waves of migration came during and after WW2 as a lot of people arrived from the island to work at our large steel mill. Living conditions were fairly good back then, as a lot of my older relatives have retired and own large and very beautiful homes, but the newer generations haven't been so lucky as the local industries have all but vanished.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
The Puero Rican's in Campbell outside of Youngstown came here during that time period to work in our mills also. Campbell is known for it's Puerto Rican's, Greeks and Italians.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Smack yourself! Those aren't Puerto Ricans out there. An overwhelming majority of the Hispanics you see in those areas are Mexicans. Hell, there is barely even a visible Hispanic population in Cincy and the Puerto Rican population is virtually nonexistent.

Outside of the Cleveland area and a few pockets here and there throughout NEO, there are not many Puerto Ricans in Ohio.
Actually, in the Fairfield-Forest Park-Springdale-Sharonville area of Northern Cincinnati, the Hispanic population is very mixed between those of Mexican, Central American, South American and Caribbean ethnicity. These communities have a combined population of around 80k and Hispanics probably make up about 10% of that population now and are continuing to grow steadily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio