Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Sure, if Reagan was a pathological narcissist with fascist tendencies. As for Trump's chances, I have rarely gone wrong overestimating human stupidity, so I unfortunately can't say his chances are 0%.
So well said. My fears as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So well said. My fears as well.
Besides the idea of Trump actually winning, a growing fear of mine is that it's maybe already too late to stop the regression that is going on nationally. Things are getting bad out there. I have people asking me all the time here about what's wrong with America. Why are they going crazy? People are worried, and they are getting worried all over the world. Whether or not Trump wins may not ultimately matter. Something has been set into motion that will be difficult to stop.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Whether or not Trump wins may not ultimately matter. Something has been set into motion that will be difficult to stop.
This is true. The USA (and the world, really, the internationals you reference should probably also look in their own backyards) is headed for a steep decline in the near future. Hopefully we will learn from it and still be in good shape for the long term, but that remains to be seen.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is true. The USA (and the world, really, the internationals you reference should probably also look in their own backyards) is headed for a steep decline in the near future. Hopefully we will learn from it and still be in good shape for the long term, but that remains to be seen.
If your point was that there are plenty other countries with problems, no disagreement. However, the US' recent embrace of insanity has huge implications for all of us everywhere, just because the US is so involved in everything and remains a world leader. There are worse leaders than potential Trump around the world, including multiple in Africa alone, but they just don't have the power and influence to affect significant worldwide issues.

My other point was the door has been opened now to be freely expressive of ideas that have been losing favor for decades.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,515 times
Quote:
Besides the idea of Trump actually winning, a growing fear of mine is that it's maybe already too late to stop the regression that is going on nationally. Things are getting bad out there. I have people asking me all the time here about what's wrong with America. Why are they going crazy? People are worried, and they are getting worried all over the world. Whether or not Trump wins may not ultimately matter. Something has been set into motion that will be difficult to stop.
if you were honest with yourself you would agree that 'things bad out there' started within the last eight years..maybe government will be better run as a business by folks that actually had a job and accomplished something..

Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
if you were honest with yourself you would agree that 'things bad out there' started within the last eight years..maybe government will be better run as a business by folks that actually had a job and accomplished something..
George W. Bush involved us in poorly executed and reasoned foreign military adventures that have a present value cost of over $2 trillion dollars. He did nothing about illegal immigration until late in his second term. His poor policies shifted the federal government from a cash budget surplus to a massive deficit.

Bush and the Republicans have been idiotic climate change deniers with disastrous results, especially for Ohio with all the radioactive fracking waste water injected under our aquifers under high pressure under non-transparent policies championed by Kasich and Ohio Republicans.

While supporting hefty foreign military expenditures, the Republicans have blocked gasoline tax increases to fund badly needed infrastructure repairs. As a consequence, the no-tax Republicans in Indiana and Ohio instituted a massive hidden tax in the form of the Republican Toll Road with ever-escalating tolls on the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road, likely to inevitably zap the strength out of the northern Ohio manufacturing economy, to the detriment of all of Ohio.

If the Republican House had passed the immigration bill that passed the U.S. Senate, the U.S. now would be well on the way to controlling illegal immigration, including verification of IDs of all employees.

The Republicans have championed the highest drug prices in the world by a large margin in the U.S. by blocking negotiated prices with drug companies, unlike any other nation in the world. It puts our economy at a massive competitive disadvantage.

The Congressional Republicans blocked increased funding for cyber protection, resulting in disastrous intelligence intrusions into government data.

Yeah, it's all Obama's fault. NOT!

Your championing business folks who championed the policies that created the Great Recession, guys like Romney who enriched himself moving American jobs overseas, of the business folks who furiously are moving their corporate headquarters overseas to avoid U.S. taxes. These are the guys who bankroll the Republicans.

It's no surprise that Trump's popularity largely stems from attacking these Republican "business folks."

Last edited by WRnative; 03-10-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Okay, let's play. Name specific policies implemented by Obama (who I assume you mean in your 8-year reference) that have actively made things worse in America. No talking points, no assumptions, just actual policy. And then give reasons, based on studies or whatever you can find, that show that these policies have been detrimental to the performance of America socially, culturally and financially. I await your response.

Government is not always the answer, but nor is it never the answer. When the Cuyahoga River was on fire, was it the people of Ohio that fixed that problem? Was it state government, even? Or was it the national Clean Water Act?
When you drive home from work on a highway, who is responsible for building it? The people of Ohio? State government that is self-financed? Or did the federal government play a defining role?
If you know a bi-racial married couple, which entity is responsible for getting rid of anti-miscegenation laws? Hint, it wasn't ultimately the states, especially in every state south of Mason-Dixon.

There are a million examples where the federal government did what no one else could or would. I despise this nonsense that all government is somehow evil or bad, while its opponents take advantage of every single advantage it created. It is an organization run by human beings, so there will be mistakes made, even terrible ones, but it is the height of irrationality to declare it a burden to civilized society despite the reality that civilized society exists because of it. If it were left up to the people, there would still be segregation, our national parks would be paved over and corporations could poison us with complete immunity.

Running government as a for-profit business is probably the worst idea ever, if for no other reason than it assumes that private interests have the best interests of all citizens when they clearly wouldn't. They would have the interests only of those who can pay, and considering all the anti-big government sentiment by conservatives, turning government into a business would actually make access even worse, and create an even bigger lobbying paradise for those who have the biggest pockets. Maybe you just haven't thought this through.

As for Trump, he's not even that great of a businessman judging by his many failed ventures. It's really not that hard to turn millions into more millions, provided you have been given millions to start with. He wasn't self-made. He's an American joke, a cautionary tale of how things can get out of hand when you don't bother to look behind the curtain and question what is real. No thanks.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:00 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Default Tea Party Republicans ditch Kasich

Tea Party Republicans detest Kasich, according to the Quinnipiac Poll:

<<There is a divisive gender gap among Ohio likely Republican primary voters as men back Trump over Kasich 44 - 29 percent while women go to Kasich 36 - 31 percent.

Cruz gets 38 percent of Ohio Tea Party members, with 33 percent for Trump and 14 percent for Kasich. Kasich gets 32 percent of white, born-again evangelicals, with 29 percent for Trump and 24 percent for Cruz.

Voters 18 to 44 years old go to Trump over Kasich 41 - 24 percent. Trump gets 38 percent of voters 45 to 64 years old to Kasich's 35 percent. Kasich gets 38 percent of voters over 65 years old to Trump's 33 percent.

2016 Presidential Swing State Polls Poll - March 9, 2016 - Trump Buries Rubio 2-1 In Flor | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...arty/81487810/

http://plunderbund.com/2014/07/26/te...-and-jobsohio/

Last edited by WRnative; 03-10-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
If your point was that there are plenty other countries with problems, no disagreement. However, the US' recent embrace of insanity has huge implications for all of us everywhere, just because the US is so involved in everything and remains a world leader. There are worse leaders than potential Trump around the world, including multiple in Africa alone, but they just don't have the power and influence to affect significant worldwide issues.

My other point was the door has been opened now to be freely expressive of ideas that have been losing favor for decades.
Africa? I mean, Putin has been in power since 2000. That's Russia. Certainly can mess with the world, and has for centuries.

You should always be allowed to freely express any and all ideas, even detestable ones. I contend that the trump phenomenon has come about through both the shortcomings of right and left.

Time to lie in the bed.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Africa? I mean, Putin has been in power since 2000. That's Russia. Certainly can mess with the world, and has for centuries.

You should always be allowed to freely express any and all ideas, even detestable ones. I contend that the trump phenomenon has come about through both the shortcomings of right and left.

Time to lie in the bed.
So America needs its Putin? The world would be better? America would be better?

Blaming Trump on liberals... JHC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio