U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 8,900 times
Default Kiwatha Street

Sorry I haven't got back to you all sooner, but had some serious health issues (heart) to get fixed. Yes I am still going to move to Youngstown, wouldn't miss it for the world. It has one of the greatest treasures, (Mill Creek Park) in the USA, in my opinion. I am also very happy to see so much involvement, and pure desire by so many citizens to improve their city. As an outsider so far, I can only say Hooray, and can't wait to get my hands dirty helping this cause. I for one, am sure of the outcome if everyone keeps steady foreward momentum going. You all have been very kind in responding to my email and I hope to see you all soon in Youngstown. Also glad to see the Idora accepted into the Neighborhood Plan by the city. Many good things coming to Youngstown, The Chevrolet Cruz will be a big one as it gets rolling, a large economic stimulis. I still think Kiwatha Street is a very special circumstance on the southside, and am looking foreward to many years there. STAY POSITIVE, BE HAPPY, LOOK AHEAD, NEVER BACK, AND THINGS WILL WORK OUT FOR THE BEST, ALWAYS...

Thanks Very Kindly,
Fred Wolf

Last edited by fhwolf; 10-08-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-09-2008, 04:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Sorry to hear about your health, but glad you're recovering. I wish you luck with your further recovery, and your move to the city.

Unread 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM

3,166 posts, read 6,059,600 times
Fred,

Glad to hear you are doing better! Let us know when you get to Ohio or if you have any more questions.

Unread 10-14-2008, 01:05 PM

25 posts, read 24,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Ok, let's say I'm a representative for the City of Youngstown. My initial questions would be:

- What industry is the business in?
- How many people are you going to employ?
- How large a lot would you use?

Ok here is one for ya........
Walmart wants/wanted to build a new store/super store on the north side... belmont ave. The mayor tells walmart that 25% of the employees have to come from youngstown.
Why would you want to alientate walmart? and secondly, who cares where the employees live?.... I am sure it would be in the youngstown/warren area.

Unread 10-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcatoh View Post
Ok here is one for ya........
Walmart wants/wanted to build a new store/super store on the north side... belmont ave. The mayor tells walmart that 25% of the employees have to come from youngstown.
Why would you want to alientate walmart? and secondly, who cares where the employees live?.... I am sure it would be in the youngstown/warren area.
Why did Walmart choose to make it a problem now? The same contract for water service has been in use for 20 years. Walmart didn't have a problem with the contract when they built the Austintown store. Why is it this mayor's fault that they have a problem with it now?

The mayor sat down with Walmart and worked everything out, anyway.

Unread 10-15-2008, 05:26 AM

I wasn't talking about water service.....
but it's good to hear that things have been worked out
.... my point was.... why does the mayor have to attempt to dictate to any business trying to start up here.
Jobs are jobs and this area needs jobs
Thanks
T

Unread 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM

The "best effort to hire 25% from Youngstown" thing is a clause in the standard water service contract. It's been there 20 years.

I think it's possible that the mayor wasn't even aware it was in the contract until it the media informed him it was causing a huge problem.

Unread 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM

J,

I didn't know that... thanks for the information.
It explains things.
Thanks again
T

Unread 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM

492 posts, read 784,939 times
fred, kiwatha is a nice spot very close to mill creek, but also a very dangerous area. so, if one were to move to youngstown city, that would be one of the few places that would make sense. i do hope that your house has a garage.

the whole thing with this topic is that it seems to be inspired by the current "movement" of feeling positive about youngstown. while it is true that people who feel positive will work hard to change things; this movement is still small, confined to the internet, and dedicated to taking credit for future gentrification rather than actually doing something tangible. the natives, and probably will since the area is used to, and expects, slightly more efficent corruption over honest incompetence.

meanwhile, there are only low-paying jobs left in the area....

Unread 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
the whole thing with this topic is that it seems to be inspired by the current "movement" of feeling positive about youngstown... ...this movement is still small, confined to the internet,..
It's also still new. IMO, what they are doing is mostly talking about things that are going on in the city that residents can be proud of. Occasionally, the bloggers will also discuss some of their own ideas. For too long, everyone just focused on the negative aspects of Youngstown.

Quote:
and dedicated to taking credit for future gentrification rather than actually doing something tangible.
What makes you say this? Can you point to a specific blog entry that illustrates your point?

Phil Kidd--the creator of Defend Youngstown--is now working for the city as the downtown events coordinator. Thanks to him, there was a weekly farmers' market, free outdoor movies at the Chevrolet Center, the "Downtown Dash," Jonesfest, and a number of other new downtown events. That seems pretty tangible to me.

Quote:
meanwhile, there are only low-paying jobs left in the area....
Jobs are tough to find. But they exist. I've said this before--maybe in this thread--but I moved to the area because I found a job here before I found a job back home in the Canton area. And, if you do have a good job, this is a great area to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio