Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 PM

58 posts, read 228,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone --

I'm new to this forum and will soon be new to Northeast Ohio. I am relocating later this year from the Chicago area. My work location will be in Painesville, but I have no idea where we should live.

I am married with 2 young children...a 5 yr old boy and a 2 yr old girl. My wife and I are in our late 20's.

I okay with a little bit of a lengthy drive if that's necessary (~30-40 miles). I currently drive 1 hour to and from work each day, so the drive doesn't matter that much. The most important things to me are schools, crime and the availability of social life.

So far I've read about Jefferson and Ashtabula, but I also think it might be nice to live close to Lake Erie. Any help/guidance/advice this forum could provide would be much appreciated.

OPSMAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
I hope you like snow........Can you say lake effect snow . That area gets pounded with snow every winter.

Nice country setting all around the Jefferson area. Don't know about the schools though. Social life, in the summer you have Geneva on the Lake just NW ~20 miles, big summer party town. I look forward to my Harley trips up there every summer.

Other than that Jefferson is a little ways from civilization from what I remember. Ashtabula would be the closest about 15 - 20 minutes north.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,791 times
Smile Jefferson

Hi,

Ok, hope this helps, I know that it was hard when we were deciding where to settle so these are just my observations and opinions. We're also married, your age, and have a 2 year old, son so many of the things we're looking for are similar.

Jefferson is a cute little town. We're actually moving there in a couple of weeks ourselves from PA. It's small and quaint but big on family. There seems to be a lot of activities for young families year round. The school district seems very capable and I've met many of the teachers already. I've not heard a complaint about any of them, which is unusual when I have researched schools in the past. lol The teachers are personable and really seem to involve the parents, which I liked.

I also am from a large city and I wasn't sure about living out in the boondocks, but I've found a lot to keep myself and my son busy. Not to mention that it's not a far drive to Ashtabula ( about 15 minutes ) for additional resources and Cleveland is only about an hour away for major purchases, entertainment, and an international airport. My husband also drives daily ( various Cleveland Metro areas ) but he's found that it's not bad with 11 and 90 being so close.

Jefferson Church of the Nazarene is an awesome church. They have a lot of activities for families and individuals of all ages. I've been attending there for a few months even though we do not live in the area yet. They are warm and welcome everyone, even if you aren't of the Nazarene faith. There are many young children in the church and activities for them to socialize together, which I love for my little guy.

Snow, snow, snow. Being from Chicago you're probably more used to it than I am ( Las Vegas, NV ) but so far it hasn't been too bad and we've managed to survive. lol The kids love it though.

Ok, so that's my nutshell opinion of Jefferson.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuppermama View Post
Snow, snow, snow. Being from Chicago you're probably more used to it than I am ( Las Vegas, NV ) but so far it hasn't been too bad and we've managed to survive. lol The kids love it though.
Ya, this year has been non typical as far as lake effect snow goes in NE OH. We have not seen a fraction as what we usually get in a normal winter. That makes me sad because I love the snow .

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Ya, this year has been non typical as far as lake effect snow goes in NE OH. We have not seen a fraction as what we usually get in a normal winter. That makes me sad because I love the snow .
sad? sad? You're funny. I'm happy with what we have right now, thanks, lol. I'm looking forward to summer, as a matter of fact.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Actually I wish I lived just a little farther north. Usually the real heavy LES never quit makes it to us here in Cortland....... We are right on the edge of the snow belt.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Poor opsman, he asked about Jefferson and now he'll get to read a whole conversation on white stuff, lol. I hope it doesn't scare him away, lol.

And if you want more snow, move up here. (Try Jefferson, lol.) They're calling for 10-12 by tomorrow night. You can have all you want.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm all excited.........big snow tomorrow . It was the highlight of my day when they changed the weather watch to a warning. Wooohoooooo.

Actually we're preparing for a moving to Kila Montana. Real snow country there . Right next to Blacktail Mnt Ski resort. They have been getting 4" - 6" a day every day for the last week just after a blizzard dumped on them.

Just as soon as things settle down out there a bit next month, we're heading out to purchasing one of a half dozen 10 acre lots I have had my eye on for some time. Starting on a new house this summer. Can't wait !!!! If all goes well, we'll be in MT within a year and a half. Then I got to try unloading property around here .

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Guys, snow is relevant (I guess..) but helping the OP is even more!
Yac.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,699 times
Jefferson and Ashtabula are more rural. If you're interested in a more urban area, you could try some of the eastern suburbs of Cleveland. With the notable exception of East Cleveland, most of them have good school districts and lots to do. Depends of what type of environment you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio