Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to or around warren, ohio because of a job transfer. What is the area like there? We have looked at houses online there and the prices seem reasonable, but how are the taxes? We have three kids, is there alot to do? How are the public schools? What is the best area to live in arround lordstown and warren? I know that I asked alot of questions, but we want to make sure that we are making the right choice for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Oleary,
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Warren area. If you don't mind, where will you be working?

Also, there are a few threads about the greater warren area on this forum..........I think they may be helpful to you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ohio-info.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ng-warren.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...hborhoods.html

Maybe we could help you better if we knew what kind of area you are coming from, maybe what your family likes to do for fun, and perhaps a price range for homes. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I've lived in the warren area my whole life (29 years) so hopefully i can help you out.

Cort

Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times
We would be moving from upstate New York, right by the Canadian border. My husband works with General Motors and the plant here is closing. Ohio is one of the places we put a transfer in for. It also seems the most likely for us to get called there. There isn't a whole lot to do up here and we are looking to be able to offer our kids more. They are 11, 6 and 4. I would like to be able to expose them to some culture. We definitely don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere like we are now. But we also want to be able to afford to live comfortably. I guess we want the best of both worlds. We have also considered living in PA. I guess it really depends on the property taxes. Let me know what you think. I have been reading your postings and they have been informative.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM

This thread may actually help you more than the others i posted http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ea-please.html

Also, i'm biased toward Cortland since i grew up there. Here's a thread about it:http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...land-ohio.html

I would also recommend, Champion Township (44481), Liberty Township, Bazetta Township 44410, and Howland Township (44484).

Most other areas are fine too. Niles and Girard are smaller than Warren, but have an similar feel to them. Places like Bristolville, Fowler, Vienna, Southington, West Farmington, Kinsman, and anything north of Cortland have more of a country feel. Most of these rural areas have decent to good schools, but they are very small.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your search!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:51 PM

There are plent of things to do in the area, i know i put them in a thead somewhere, but i can't find them now..........here are some off the top of my head:

Welcome to MahoningValley.Info, all about Youngstown, Ohio, Mahoning, Trumbull & Columbiana Counties - About the Mahoning Valley

Eastwood Field

www.eastwoodmall.com

Mill Creek MetroParks

www.butlerart.com

Chevrolet Centre

Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens Rental In akron

We are also an hour from both cleveland and pittsburgh, so those cities offer a lot for both kids and adults..........

cleveland.com: Everything Cleveland

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Property taxes in PA are some 4 times higher than Ohio's. I have family in PA, lol this is how I know so.

Warren offers quite a bit for its size. And if I have heard and read correctly, GM Lordstown is doing well with the Cobalt and G5, and I also heard there might be more coming to the plant. It is always a sight to see when you drive by.

Warren has a nice little downtown, Niles (suburb) offers the largest mall in the country (area). Also, the southern suburb of Youngstown (Boardman) offers even more shopping. Cleveland is about an hours drive with the large city entertainment. NE Ohio offers a lot. If you move to NE Ohio, or wherever you end up moving to, best of luck to you and your family.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
The General Motors plant is on Route 45 in Lordstown. Lordstown has a bank, a Dairy Queen, a factrory outlet for cabinets, and a traffic light. That's about it. Newton Falls would be a small town to the West, if you like small city living.

I live 10 miles South of GM on 45. I have lived in other parts of the Country, but I grew up here. The very best of country living and a very quick ride to work would be Ellsworth Township. It is about 7 miles from Gm to the center of Ellsworth.

A bigger town with things to do, and kids to play with would be Canfield, which is located 5 miles due East of Ellsworth on 224.

Everything around here is flat. The roads are laid out in big squares. They are separated by cornfields and trees. When you look for houses, have your agent search by school districts. I would highly recommend Western Reserve, Canfield, and South Range. I would stay away from all Warren schools. Don't confuse Warren Western Reserve with Berlin Western Reserve. They are a million miles apart.

Austintown and Boardman schools aren't terrible, but they are getting too big. Jackson-Milton is a decent school, but they are having some financial trouble. They may end up getting blended into the surrounding school districts, of Lordstown, Austintown, and Western Reserve.

Don't misunderstand about Niles having the largest mall in the Country by area. The Eastwood Mall is very small. They just own a lot of land.

Google Earth is your friend. The pictures are about 5 years old. They are very good quality for Mahoning County.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
This is our County website. Search by address, or name of owner. It will tell you exactly what the property tax is, and which school district it is in. There is a wealth of information there.

Mahoning County, Ohio

Trumbull County has a similar website.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,640 times
I was born in the area but moved out to Orlando, Florida. My sister's husband lives in Lordstown and her husband works at Gm. Her husband graduated from Lordstown and here and I from Newton Falls. She is allways talking about how much better the schools are in Lordstown. Each grade has like 50 students and they are so small the don't have football.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,199 times
I was born in Warren I haven't been there for 20 years. My aunt that lives in howland has told me warren has went down hill for jobs and the schools are pretty rough. If your looking for the best chili sauce and hotdogs in the world you must go to the Hotdog Shop. Wish I had more I could tell you about Waren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio