U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Where there is too much snow!
5,813 posts, read 7,178,991 times
Reputation: 2413
OK, if your still adding to it. Doesn't that make you guilty of continuing it and keeping it alive as well? LOL
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 3,817,344 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
OK, if your still adding to it. Doesn't that make you guilty of continuing it and keeping it alive as well? LOL
I was thinking that after I had posted, and I am thinking about it again after I post this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 4,680,536 times
Reputation: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
Perhaps it would be best for Ohio to mandate a Living Wage rather than a minimum wage. I don't know anyone who can survive and raise a family on 7.50 an hour.
I dont believe its the govts job to set wages. if you cant make more than min.wage dont have kids.

I left Ohio in the 80's because I couldn't find a job that paid enough for me to raise my family. I had to go where the money was

life is about choices ...good and bad and because you make a bad one why should govt force someone to pay you more

follow the money....I did and now I am retired and I returned to Ohio to the place I wanted to live all along.......now I can
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Where there is too much snow!
5,813 posts, read 7,178,991 times
Reputation: 2413
We would love pull up stake and high tail it down to Alabama. Not near as much snow and ice as we get up here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH for now
31 posts, read 39,934 times
Reputation: 32
I found this thread searching for other folks who were leaving Ohio and why and where they were headed to...nothing more than that! I didn't pull it up to bash Ohio! def wasn't my intent
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
 
2,844 posts, read 2,028,439 times
Reputation: 3499
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I dont believe its the govts job to set wages. if you cant make more than min.wage dont have kids.

I left Ohio in the 80's because I couldn't find a job that paid enough for me to raise my family. I had to go where the money was
Looks like you didn't follow your own advice, how come?


Quote:
life is about choices ...good and bad and because you make a bad one why should govt force someone to pay you more
A suicidal wage slave has two big "choices" in his life - to sell his/her arse to employers or to starve. 99.99% of wage slaves are not suicidal. Therefore, wage slave' life is all about multiple strategies of selling his/her arse, it's not about choices, freedom and the rest of BS.

Since, a tiny minority of folks in this country owns bulk of resources/land/production capacity etc. they simultaneously hold wage slave' meal tickets in their hands i.e. significant chunk of "free" market participants act under pressure of their survival instinct. This one of the most freedomless arrangement one can imagine, it greatly skew "free" market table (not speaking of wages) towards owning class and their managerial caste. Therefore, it is not a mortal sin for a government to try (halfheartedly) to level the table. But since it's not a secret who owns government in this country, you shall not worry about leveling the field too much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,152 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Willoughby/Eastlake Area

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: jobs, general economy, the sun never shines, most of the area immediately surrounding Cleveland is dangerous and ghetto, everything is expensive, gas bills run higher than car payments, schools aren't anything to brag about, and the theory about us having 4 seasons?? Not in the snow belt! We have "hotter than hell" and "colder than Alaska," those are the only 2 seasons. Oh, and the people are terrible. I'm probably terrible too but only because it's hard not to be when everything around you makes you miserable.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Houston. There's jobs, it's close to the gulf (which beats the hell out of looking at that ugly, polluted lake), it snows very rarely, the majority of "southern" people I have met have a generally happier disposition which is contagious

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: NC or SC

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Finishing our lease on our apartment and saving money for our fresh start! (I do hope I can find a Browns Backers gang in Houston! That love will never die!)

6) Anything else you want to say?
I'm sure there are people who would come here and love it. But I think they're the kind of people who also love to live in Alaska or other harsh environments. It definitely does not appeal to the masses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
7,494 posts, read 4,660,942 times
Reputation: 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontxbound View Post
I'm sure there are people who would come here and love it. But I think they're the kind of people who also love to live in Alaska or other harsh environments. It definitely does not appeal to the masses.
So you're seriously going to compare Ohio's winter to Alaska? You're right, extreme environments do not appeal to the masses. That's why Alaska has 600,000 people and Ohio has over 11 million. Ohio does not have an extreme climate. Not in the winter. Not in summer. Not anytime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
7,494 posts, read 4,660,942 times
Reputation: 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatclassygirl21 View Post
I found this thread searching for other folks who were leaving Ohio and why and where they were headed to...nothing more than that! I didn't pull it up to bash Ohio! def wasn't my intent
Come on, what'd you think was going to happen? Been nothing but bash the state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Twinsburg, OH
458 posts, read 632,071 times
Reputation: 202
Houston Tx bound,

Let me first start off by saying I hope you find happiness in your new home and wish you nothing but luck in your future endeavors. On the other hand, a lot of the information that you provided is inaccurate. I am not sure if this is just rash reaction because you are not happy living in the area or if you truly believe that what you said was true.

Quote:
2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: jobs, general economy,
Quote:
3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Houston. There's jobs,
Cleveland's unemployment: 8.5%
Houston's unemployment: 8.3%
National Average: 9.1%

There is barely a difference between the two areas in terms of unemployment, and both are better than the national average. When you say that Cleveland has no jobs, more people are working in Cleveland than many other parts of the nation.

In fact, Cleveland was rated to have the 7th hottest job market.
The War for Talent is on: Monster Identifies the Hottest Markets for Job Seekers | Business Wire

Houston did not make the list. Sorry.

Quote:
most of the area immediately surrounding Cleveland is dangerous and ghetto
Where exactly? Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Lakewood, Fairview Park? No.

Quote:
Not in the snow belt! We have "hotter than hell" and "colder than Alaska," those are the only 2 seasons.
Quote:
I'm sure there are people who would come here and love it. But I think they're the kind of people who also love to live in Alaska or other harsh environments. It definitely does not appeal to the masses.
Average Highs (Cleveland):
May: 68.6
June: 77.4
July: 81.4
Aug: 79.2
Sep: 72.3

This is hotter than Hell? Its humid, but if you think Northeast Ohio is hotter than hell, then you're in for a surprise in Texas.

Average Highs (Cleveland):
Jan: 32.6
Feb: 35.8
Mar: 46.1
Nov: 48.7
Dec: 37.4

I'm sure that when you said colder than Alaska you were joking. Sure, we get more snow than a lot of other places but does it constitute harsh environments? Not even close.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top