Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 05:27 AM

16,924 posts, read 12,475,636 times

Advertisements

1) Current or former Ohio location:
Lived in Westpark 15 years
2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
Left 2005 to get an actual full time job with health insurance
3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
FL then NJ
4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
The above locations were not choices. That is where I found good employment with health insurance. A choice would be Dallas TX maybe, Good economy combined with insanely low housing prices. In NJ $100K income is the bottom of the middle class. No Im not kidding.
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
NA
6) Anything else you want to say?
Part of me will always like parts of Cleveland area. Metro Parks, Danny Boys, Des Essenhaus etc. I wont miss: Crappy economy, awful City of Cleveland schools, police etc.

Last edited by ottomobeale; 04-01-2008 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 31,974 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

50 miles north of columbus
weather, lack of jobs and hate the big city
west texas, better jobs, better weather
Colorado or maybe utah
nothing
6) Anything else you want to say?ohio isn't terrible it just isn't for everyone

Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Wow! Ohio must really suck! My best friend's boyfriend is moving away from Cincinnati too!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-05-2008 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,288,858 times
I guess there is sort of a pattern to this thread that suggests such a conclusion isn't there ?!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 128,012 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Toledo area

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Weather and cost of utilities!!!

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Well in a perfect world it would be Hawaii..hey who wouldn't pick paradise?? Other than that I loved Texas, spent a month there and the people are wonderful. My son also went to a really amazing college in Colorado Springs for 4 years. Once you view the Rampart Range you don't want to go back to Ohio that is for sure!!! I would be happy running a B&B in Colorado Springs, or Manitou Springs. No However traffic on Academy Blvd is just so NOT fun! But then it was parents weekend every time we were there or Graduation. Guessing 1000 sets of parents, grandparents, friends ect tends to make traffic miserable.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:N/A

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:MONEY!

6) Anything else you want to say? Someone needs to keep the utility company's from price gouging so people can afford to heat their homes! Politics is also lame but that is anywhere you go. I remember Toledo being much better when I was a child than it is now.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM

480 posts, read 1,909,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Akron

Job loss and marriage - my fiance was here in the DC/Baltimore area anyway and the company I worked for had a foot and a half in the grave

See above

NC or SC

N/A

Stop the nanny state bull****, throw out the Yoon-Yuns, get some better leaders (in BOTH parties) and stop being busybodies and you might get people to move back

Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 PM

14 posts, read 47,490 times
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: grew up in Warren now live in Cortland

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: people (please don't get me started) no opportunities, it's turned into a real ****hole, schools are going down hill, no real reason to stay

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Kila Monatana, it's opposite of what Cortland is

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Montana, Montana, Montana

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Have to sell the house and pack, that's about it. Already have the property

6) Anything else you want to say? Just wondering if your Gucci and Prada keeps you warm at night? Does your Lexus tell you it loves you? How's your 2nd mortgage doing? Meanwhile, when was the last time your kids talked to you? Have you ever been praised for your child's manners? When when was the last time your child told he/she loved you? I have all the money for anything I want. But............ I have so much more VALUE for my last 3 questions.

That's really about it. I want to go to a place where family and morals are what really count.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 96,693 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Miami Township Dayton, OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Escape the cold dreary weather and find my own place in the world not where my parents decided to live before I was born.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: The Carolinas are my wife and I's primary region of interest. For the great weather, they still have 4 seasons, and we're both southern at heart so we're looking forward to the southern way of life.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: TN and maybe the panhandle of FL

We're both finishing our degrees me in middle childhood educattion and my wife her masters in chemical dependency counseling so in 2.5 years we're selling the house and moving south for good.

6) Anything else you want to say? I agree with somebody else who posted that they weren't going to be the person that bad mouths Ohio once they're gone but I think Ohio has served it's purpose for me in my life and it's time for me to find my own spot. I'll always love Ohio and the Buckeyes (GO BUCKS) and we may change our mind in a couple years if the economy picks up but I doubt it. I'm sure we'll miss Ohio when we move but we're looking forward to a new region and new adventures.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,129,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post

Here is how it was for me.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Akron, Fairlawn, Wyoga Lake

I left because of declining job opportunities and the generally depressing looks of the Northeastern Ohio cities as population dropped and factories closed. Add to that the horrible winters and lack of sunshine, it was an easy choice.

Moved to Abilene, Texas. The economy was booming, and it has over 300 days of sunshine a year.

I also looked for jobs in Amarillo and Albuquerque, but I was offered one in Abilene first.

Already in Texas.

I loved the people I knew in Ohio. I was afraid that my job would disappear, and it has since I have left. I was afraid that if things got worse it would be harder to get out (sell house, etc.) I moved at a good time, and I would have been unemployed had I stayed.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,701,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I loved the people I knew in Ohio. I was afraid that my job would disappear, and it has since I have left. I was afraid that if things got worse it would be harder to get out (sell house, etc.) I moved at a good time, and I would have been unemployed had I stayed.
I hear ya. My former employer in the area recently announced to their employees that they are closing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio