Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 8,551 times

Advertisements

I could take up writing political agitation pieces. Muhuhahahah! Hey, you know what? I do miss Cuyahoga National Forest. I used to love going on the trails off of 80 by Hudson. I heard from my Ohio friends that the trees are gorgeous this Fall. I also miss Lake Erie as I sat by it many times during rain showers and storms in Lakewood's Edgewater Park. At any rate, that's what I enjoyed about the place. It is my contention that there were too many annoyances to put up with in Ohio that caused me to experience a lot of resentment, and that's not healthy! Moreover, I think it's important to use mental scales when evaluating a place you live in versus a place you think may be better. If the cons exceed the pros, there's a problem which necessitates corrective action. That's my philosophy anyway and it's apparently worked well. My wife keeps commenting that I'm much happier and easier to live with now. Bonus.

I'm curious about a particular anomaly I've noticed in Ohio frustration threads: Ohio defenders infest these places. It's weird. It's like...North Korean flunkies who vigorously defend Kim Jong Un and the ideal State he rules. I don't get it. Do these people sit in their cavernous parents' basements and search for these discussions? I mean, it reinforces the notion that Ohio is a weird and depressing place. Maybe John Kasich has State employees surf Ohio bashing forums to perform some type of damage control? It's a theory... At any rate, it provides me a lot of amusement to ponder throughout my day.

Last edited by Colorado_rules80; 10-30-2014 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Clarity of content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_rules80 View Post
I could take up writing political agitation pieces. Muhuhahahah! Hey, you know what? I do miss Cuyahoga National Forest. I used to love going on the trails off of 80 by Hudson. I heard from my Ohio friends that the trees are gorgeous this Fall. I also miss Lake Erie as I sat by it many times during rain showers and storms in Lakewood's Edgewater Park. At any rate, that's what I enjoyed about the place. It is my contention that there were too many annoyances to put up with in Ohio that caused me to experience a lot of resentment, and that's not healthy! Moreover, I think it's important to use mental scales when evaluating a place you live in versus a place you think may be better. If the cons exceed the pros, there's a problem which necessitates corrective action. That's my philosophy anyway and it's apparently worked well. My wife keeps commenting that I'm much happier and easier to live with now. Bonus.

I'm curious about a particular anomaly I've noticed in Ohio frustration threads: Ohio defenders infest these places. It's weird. It's like...North Korean flunkies who vigorously defend Kim Jong Un and the ideal State he rules. I don't get it. Do these people sit in their cavernous parents' basements and search for these discussions? I mean, it reinforces the notion that Ohio is a weird and depressing place. Maybe John Kasich has State employees surf Ohio bashing forums to perform some type of damage control? It's a theory... At any rate, it provides me a lot of amusement to ponder throughout my day.
Most people get it wrong. Being happy is not about the place, but the state of mind. People work themselves up over silly things and then let those things change how they see their lives... and subsequently they start resenting the place they're in. No doubt there are plenty of people in Colorado at this very moment who can't wait to leave for some "greener pasture", but it's all relative. People who focus on the negative will find things to complain about, no matter where they live. Your move likely didn't actually solve any problems, and it's likely that, sooner or later, the newness of the place will wear off and you'll simply find new problems.

Some people love Ohio. I know I do. If there's a phenomenon where some Ohioans defend a state they love, then there's an even greater phenomenon where former residents love to troll the Ohio forum and bash it and exclaim how awesome their lives are now that they moved. I guess maturity hasn't caught up with them. The truth is that the vast majority of people who move away end up coming back. I guess they realize that there is no such thing as a perfect place to live, and that ultimately, Ohio was not that bad after all. There are 2 1/2x more people in Ohio than Colorado. Apparently, Colorado simply isn't all that attractive in comparison. I know my hometown of Columbus has a net positive domestic migration from Colorado.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'll be honest...the people in Ohio are as much a problem as anything else. Of course that's a broad generalization, and it varies by town, but at least in the Rust Belt areas there are hordes of bitter people who are upset the world changes (without them, apparently) and it's everyone else's fault but their own.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Ohio has been a State for much longer than Colorado and is ranked 7 in population, which explains the population level disparities. This is true all throughout the North East. Anyway, here's a scenario: "hey everyone, let's get the entire family together and have our annual vacation in Ohio this year!" Oh, look... nobody says that, ever.

"Hey, family let's go to Colorado this year!" This is uttered by millions...world-wide. There's your proof game, set, match. And frankly, you implying that I'm immature is absurd and focusing solely on the negative with respect to Ohio is also absurd. I've lived from Montana to the Netherlands and Ohio took the taco as far as misery is concerned. That's my experience. There are vast differences regarding where one chooses to live. Think Thailand vs. Myanmar. Think Mississippi vs. Oregon. How you can state that this is a matter of personal maturity is mind-boggling.

If I were to drop you off in Detroit as your new resident city, you'd be plotting your escape as soon as I kicked you off of the bus! Rightly so! Detroit's in a world of hurt, and I wouldn't guess your reasons for leaving that disgusting crater of a town had anything to do with your maturity! You'd leave because it looks like some army took artillery to the city and never bothered rebuilding it. It's the same situation from Gary, Indiana to Buffalo, New York. The Rust-Belt is scar tissue on our nation.

Also, where do you get the stats that nearly everyone who leaves returns to Ohio? Where do you come up with such a statement? It's anecdotal, but All of my Ohio friends were making plans to get the hell out and many of them have! No one could drag us kicking and screaming back to that place.

I tried to make Ohio work for me. I really did. I didn't want to go through yet another interstate move. They suck and cost 3 times more than what has been budgeted (usually). Having to make a new circle of friends is a slow process and having to integrate to a new office culture is anxiety producing. No one in their right minds would go through this if they weren't desperate to escape what is a perceived unbearable situation. Who would inflict such work and stress on themselves if the present locale weren't awful? Why have so many left Ohio? Perhaps the grass is greener on the other side?

Denver is not perfect, but for me, it's damned close! I've only been here a little over a month but I love it. The Front Range inspires awe in me every time I look West. People on the street smile and greet me. It's a sunny and friendly place. Fact.

I'm linking an article about Ohio's population growth (45th in the nation). The only thing that saves Ohio from negative growth is that 50,000 foreigners have relocated to the State. God only knows why, and we'll see how long they stay before they kick the dust from their heels on the way to other places! The data used in the article is from the US Census.

Ohio ranks 45th for population growth; gain in foreign migration one plus area | cleveland.com

Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 PM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
^^^^As a Colorado native, reading this thread has made me realize how far downhill my home has gone since you've moved there. It definitely used to be cool, I don't know what happened.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
^^^^As a Colorado native, reading this thread has made me realize how far downhill my home has gone since you've moved there. It definitely used to be cool, I don't know what happened.

Thanks for your hostility. The entire thread is about why a person left Ohio. I chimed in. Said my peace. I really appreciate your candor in the matter. I hope you live a long time in your beloved Rust-belt. No seriously, knock yourself out. And while you're at it, how about a psychological examination?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'll be honest...the people in Ohio are as much a problem as anything else. Of course that's a broad generalization, and it varies by town, but at least in the Rust Belt areas there are hordes of bitter people who are upset the world changes (without them, apparently) and it's everyone else's fault but their own.
Can't disagree, but that's what I was referring to by attitude rather than the place. There are miserable people everywhere, even in many places that would be otherwise considered "paradise". If you want to make it work and be happy, you'll find a way.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Thanks for your hostility. The entire thread is about why a person left Ohio. I chimed in. Said my peace. I really appreciate your candor in the matter. I hope you live a long time in your beloved Rust-belt. No seriously, knock yourself out. And while you're at it, how about a psychological examination?
Sure. Here you go with the psych exam as requested. I guess what I'm saying is, that when I grew up there, we knew Colorado was great but didn't feel so insecure about ourselves personally to try and integrate the geographic location into our identities to make up for our personal shortcomings. No need to lord it over the rest of the world, parts of which are truly suffering. Just be thankful for where you're at and what you have, wherever it is.

Enjoy Denver as long as you decide to stay.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 PM

quote=Colorado_rules80;37080393]
Quote:

Ohio has been a State for much longer than Colorado and is ranked 7 in population, which explains the population level
disparities. This is true all throughout the North East. Anyway, here's a scenario: "hey everyone, let's get the entire family together and have our annual vacation in Ohio this year!" Oh, look... nobody says that, ever.
While that's true about statehood, the population continues to grow. If it was truly that miserable, people would be leaving and there would be population loss. Even if Ohio stopped growing completely, it would take at least half a century if not much longer for Colorado to catch up, and that's assuming it will even continue to grow at current rates, which is highly unlikely.

I've never heard that about Colorado, either. However, Ohio does significantly higher tourism revenues than Colorado, on the order of $20 billion higher ($15 vs. $35). Look it up.

Quote:
"Hey, family let's go to Colorado this year!" This is uttered by
millions....world-wide.
Not according to tourism dollars, they don't. It's not even close.

Quote:
There's your proof game, set, match.
Indeed.

Quote:
And frankly, you implying that I'm immature is absurd and focusing solely on the
negative with respect to Ohio is also absurd. I've lived from Montana to the
Netherlands and Ohio took the taco as far as misery is concerned. That's my
experience. There are vast differences regarding where one chooses to
live. Think Thailand vs. Myanmar. Think Mississippi vs. Oregon. How you can
state that this is a matter of personal maturity is mind-boggling.
The maturity comment was about you basically coming here to troll and trash Cleveland and Ohio. Happy people don't generally feel the need to do that. They're too busy... you know, living in what they claim is such a fantastic place. If it's so perfect, why are you indoors, still talking about Ohio?

Quote:
If I were to drop you off in Detroit as your new resident city, you'd be
plotting your escape as soon as I kicked you off of the bus! Rightly so!
Detroit's in a world of hurt, and I wouldn't guess your reasons for leaving that
disgusting crater of a town had anything to do with your maturity! You'd leave
because it looks like some army took artillery to the city and never bothered
rebuilding it. It's the same situation from Gary, Indiana to Buffalo, New York.
The Rust-Belt is scar tissue on our nation.
Detroit has significant problems well beyond just about any place in the nation. There are still people who are happy living there, and there are still positives, like the incredibly cheap housing. The point is, it's about attitude.

And many former Rust Belt cities and states are getting some great press in recent years on their revitalization. Cincinnati is growing again and Downtown Cleveland is booming. This isn't 1980. Things have changed and continue to change.

Quote:
Also, where do you get the stats that nearly everyone who leaves returns to
Ohio? Where do you come up with such a statement? It's anecdotal, but All of my
Ohio friends were making plans to get the hell out and many of them have! No one
could drag us kicking and screaming back to that place.
I get them from having actually looked at migration for all 50 states vs. Ohio. They're freely available from the US Census. Between 2005 and 2013, Ohio's domestic migration from Western states, which includes Colorado, improved by nearly 750%. In regards to Colorado specifically, for the 2012-2013 period, the latest years available, Ohio gained about 500. So you can see why I have my doubts about Colorado being the more attractive state.

Quote:
I tried to make Ohio work for me. I really did. I didn't want to go through yet
another interstate move. They suck and cost 3 times more than what has been
budgeted (usually). Having to make a new circle of friends is a slow process and
having to integrate to a new office culture is anxiety producing. No one in
their right minds would go through this if they weren't desperate to escape what
is a perceived unbearable situation. Who would inflict such work and stress on
themselves if the present locale weren't awful? Why have so many left Ohio?
Perhaps the grass is greener on the other side?
See, this is the fundamental disagreement I have. Living in Ohio is, rationally, not even close to being "unbearable". It's a hyperbolic statement at best. It's in the US, and conditions can only realistically be so bad economically and socially. It's not the 3rd World. Even you tacitly admit that it has to do with perception more than reality. You wanted to live elsewhere. Fine. But you can't sell the idea that all the problems had to do specifically with location, because that's just not a logical claim whatsoever.

Quote:
Denver is not perfect, but for me, it's damned close! I've only been here a
little over a month but I love it. The Front Range inspires awe in me every time
I look West. People on the street smile and greet me. It's a sunny and friendly
place. Fact.
Believe me, mountains don't matter. I currently live in a place with mountains everywhere, and they were cool for about 5 minutes. Every new place is exciting at first... until it's not anymore. It's like when people think that living near the beach would be paradise, until they move there and realize that they don't have the time or money to actually go to the beach very much. And then it's just one more place you never go... not that that stops you from telling people how awesome it is living by the ocean. It's basic human psychology. We like to feel superior even when we know it's not true.

Quote:
I'm linking an article about Ohio's population growth (45th in the nation).
The only thing that saves Ohio from negative growth is that 50,000 foreigners
have relocated to the State. God only knows why, and we'll see how long they
stay before they kick the dust from their heels on the way to other places! The
data used in the article is from the US Census.

Ohio ranks 45th for population growth; gain in foreign migration
one plus area | cleveland.com
[/quote]

Population growth has no bearing on quality of life. It's just something for people to crow about. Ohio was once growing by 2 million a decade. Booms end, every single time. It's what you have left when you're not the popular kid on the block that really matters. Ohio is a great state with a rich history... it's just too bad you didn't see it.

But regardless, domestic migration, as mentioned above, is gradually improving. Ohio was losing about 45,000 domestically per year as late as 2005. That had declined to 15,000 last year. It's heading in the right direction, so it's only a matter of time.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 10-30-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 02:00 PM

350 posts, read 848,359 times
Quote:
Denver is not perfect, but for me, it's damned close! I've only been here a little over a month but I love it. The Front Range inspires awe in me every time I look West. People on the street smile and greet me. It's a sunny and friendly place. Fact.
Ha! Funny... my wife is a Colorado native who couldn't believe how much friendlier Ohioan were. (Northwest Ohioans at least). Then again she didn't think she was superior. You can have Denver... I wouldn't live there if doubled my pay. I never understood how mountains off in the distance make everyday life in an otherwise overgrown, characterless, brown and gray city so much better... but if it works for you... great! But why come on and attack people who find different benefits of living somewhere else.

Side note... it drives me nuts how people compare entire states by only comparing two specific cities. That's not comparing states at all... just two cities that happen to be in different states. This is a common tactic throughout these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio