Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM

211 posts, read 544,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say?

Leaving Ohio and why??????????????????
I lived there for three years and it is the most poluted, dirty, factory leaking state I know of. There are no jobs there, everyone is on drugs
and umemployment, stealing copper wire and steel siding off of houses.
There is no leader ship there and no one seems to care.

Pennel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Lebanon - BORING AS HELL
LOL. The only thing I miss about Lebanon is being able to walk down to the antique shops and browse away a Saturday afternoon. And the awesome Goodwill store. I furnished my entire apartment from the Lebanon Goodwill, and still have most of the stuff.

Lebanon's great if you can break into one of the cliques, but that's not easy to do. The only clique I ever broke into in nine years was the non-clique of the Catholic church, which is kind of like an outpost in town. And everyone else in Lebanon thinks you're "funny" -- or that you're going to hell -- if you're Catholic.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 32,302 times
Default Ugh, wish I could move -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Findlay
I hate this boring state. Never liked many of the people too.
Alaska, because I'm the adventurous type and like the cold.
WV, I always loved that state, hard to find a job though.
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:Not old enough to move quite yet

6) Anything else you want to say? nope
Man I hate main America -_-

Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 32,302 times
Default Screw Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
If the world was ending today I would stay in Ohio because we still have 20 more years of life left (thats how far behind we are). The weather stucks, people that I know or meet hate to go on vacations...only thing everyone wants to do is eat or throw a party where they eat. After 5pm here in Cinti there is nothing to do. Never met so many uneducated and undereducated people. VERY CLOSEDMINDED to people who are different. JMO
I completly agree with you. Unfortunatley, that's just Ohio for you.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
Thank You for having this fill in the blanks, I honestly don't get what is so great about Ohio, sure the country landscape is nice, but that's all it's got going for it. The weather here just really stinks and that's the big decision factor for wanting to leave and not stay when my company moves. So many people up here want to leave and go to a state with a better climate and can't say I blame them one bit.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that Ohio is very dirty in my opinion and it's even more dramatic in the winter because there is no vegetation to hide it. The day I came up here to pick out a house I could not believe how many neighborhoods are just literally collapsing, it's like no one cares. Garbage litters the streets, buildings just falling apart or sitting empty in what looks like forever. I then thought to myself "Why am I doing this". It gets very depressing here and I can't seem to shake it and the long winter only makes it worse. I look at the relocation packet I got on Columbus and the pictures and I have to say they pretty much lie in it because the pictures and data they provide are not what this place looks like or is like. I guess when your desperate to attract people you have to do all you can.

One comment, Charlotte NC today on the news over 160 different types of gangs identified. I wouldn't move there to save my soul.
The reasons the gangs are taking over? They view NC (especially the Charlotte metro area) as "soft on crime" and it is absolutely true.
Crime is WAY WORSE in Charlotte than Columbus....perhaps you may wish to do some research before moving to Charlotte. I have to work there, but as soon as my shift is over, I lock my doors, and drive home to SC across the border.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:01 AM

7 posts, read 29,955 times
I've lived in Dayton, Lebanon and Wilmington. I really don't like it here much at all. I am from Minnesota and would go back in a flash if I could. But we have jobs here so we stay. If not MN, I would choose Oregon or Wisconsin.

Why do I miss MN? The great outdoors, lakes, fishing and forests in MN. Boating in the summer, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing in the winter. OH does not seem to be as nature oriented. Nor does it seem to be very active. Although there are not many bugs in Ohio, so that's a plus.

Also, I am a moderate to liberal and where I live it is very Republican and just doesn't fit for me. I have met some great people, but people seem to be tense here.

Although everyone complains about the weather here, I find that the winters are quite mild, but no sun for months on end. The summers here are way too hot for me, with brown grass all summer.

We are here for a while more, but I won't stay here to retire.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKA View Post
I've lived in Dayton, Lebanon and Wilmington. I really don't like it here much at all. I am from Minnesota and would go back in a flash if I could. But we have jobs here so we stay. If not MN, I would choose Oregon or Wisconsin.

Why do I miss MN? The great outdoors, lakes, fishing and forests in MN. Boating in the summer, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing in the winter. OH does not seem to be as nature oriented. Nor does it seem to be very active. Although there are not many bugs in Ohio, so that's a plus.

Also, I am a moderate to liberal and where I live it is very Republican and just doesn't fit for me. I have met some great people, but people seem to be tense here.

Although everyone complains about the weather here, I find that the winters are quite mild, but no sun for months on end. The summers here are way too hot for me, with brown grass all summer.

We are here for a while more, but I won't stay here to retire.
Sounds like you would like Northeast Ohio much better.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 17,137 times
Massillon,Ohio

Sick of jobs leaving, prices going up,and close-mindedness.Also the fact that the schools here don't teach you one darn thing that you didn't already learn in or before the 4th grade. Also that they are obbsessed with H.S. football, nothing else is more important, not a darn thing!

Erie County PA because it seems like a good place to live and has more oppurtunitys.

In.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

Finding a place in Erie County PA (we are going to check it out at the begining of the month)

6) Anything else you want to say?
This area of ohio is boring. They don't care about their people. Unless your on the football team and even then if you screw up somehow the whole town will hate you even if they don't know you. Seriously, one of my friends was on the team, I didn't go to the game that night, but I had to talk a group of 40 year olds from going and destroying his house. Ya. That's messed up. In school all they cared about was the players. The teachers didn't have time to answer questions or actually teach because they were to busy talking sports. It was a waste of my time.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Quote:
Yeah, for me too, bad fit here on the political/values side.

Quote:
I had someone call it "The Dayton Gloom", those gray winters. They arent that severe, as you note, just cloudy. I havnt noticed brown grass that much, compared to California, where things really do die off and stay dead until the rainy season. Summers can get hot here, but not as hot and humid as Kentucky...yet they linger, like we have been having here in Dayton the past few days.

I'm looking forward to some early Fall cold snaps!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
I moved away from Ashtabula about 8 months ago to come to Colorado. It is so awsome here! The only downside is that it's considerably more expensive than Ohio. I get paid twice as much though, so it's not that big of a deal.

Be warned though, if you ever move here, the vehicle registration fees SUCK. They treat cars as real estate and base them on the size, age and original selling price. Imagine the stroke I almost had when I got plates for my '02 Dodge Ram. It cost me $189!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio