Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times

Advertisements

^^ I agree with just about everything you say.

Especially with the non-chain restaurants. You can go to 100+ AMAZING (that's right amazing) eateries in and around Cleveland and the innerburbs without of thinking about (or even seeing) a chain restaurant. Thats one HUGE thing I miss about being away from Cleveland for the time being...the culinary scene.

And don't get me started on what there is to do in and around Downtown Cleveland!

Residents have been painfully growing slow in downtown population..however, it has be at about 10% annual growth for the past couple of years with all the conversions and a couple new buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
As an Ohio native who no longer lives there I think you make some good points, but there are a couple things I would have to disagree with:

1. Cleveland has plenty of non-chain restaurants to choose from. Yes, if you stay in the burbs you will be surrounded by an abundance of generic chain places, but Cleveland's neighborhoods and inner suburbs have a good amount of mom & pop and ethnic restaurants to choose from.
Cleveland Independents - Independent, locally-owned restaurants in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio

Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 PM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
Cleveland Independents is just the tip of the iceberg. If non-generic things are important to you, then living in Stow is certainly the wrong place to be. You could live in an exurb of any large city and have the same complaints. I have been to many other cities and have felt there are few that give you a more unique experience than Cleveland. Places like Atlanta, Houston, and Charlotte feel especially "generic" to me. As I've said, to each his own, and there will always be things some people like about any area that others don't and vice versa, but I would hardly call living in Northeast Ohio "generic" (of course unless you're in a boring exurb, which will be generic anywhere).

Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Thanks for the link and it's interesting because some of my favorite places are even on the list! (Angelo's Nido Italia, Bo Loong, Etna, #1 Pho, La Strada...)

That just even proves my point more. But great link, I need to try a few of these places now!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

57 posts, read 173,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Cleveland Independents is just the tip of the iceberg. If non-generic things are important to you, then living in Stow is certainly the wrong place to be. You could live in an exurb of any large city and have the same complaints. I have been to many other cities and have felt there are few that give you a more unique experience than Cleveland. Places like Atlanta, Houston, and Charlotte feel especially "generic" to me. As I've said, to each his own, and there will always be things some people like about any area that others don't and vice versa, but I would hardly call living in Northeast Ohio "generic" (of course unless you're in a boring exurb, which will be generic anywhere).
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to start a Stow vs. Cleveland debate. Overall I've found most places that are smaller family owned places are for the most part not that good. Take Crooked River Grill - Used to be a nice family place but has gone downhill to the point that the food and especially service is horrible. Paragons - same thing. In Stow I'm left with Moe's, Applebees, TGI Fridays - All places I try to avoid. Don's cafe in Stow is the only good one left!

Atlanta and Houston (BTW I used to live in Houston) are so damn big that you can basically find whatever you wanted down there. Some nice Italian, a nice park, some nice BBQ, a good concert - You can live your lifestyle and still be happy. Where are those things in Cleveland? When I ask about Italian restaurants around here, 99 percent of the people will say "Oh, there's an Olive Garden right down there"! Where is the good nightlife nowadays? There's a reason that the best parts of the Flats from the Mid-90s are in a landfill somewhere.

Also, someone mentioned the Rock Hall and the Science Center - which are nice places, but honestly how often can you go to those? Once a year? Once every two years? Try taking your family ever other weekend to the Rock Hall. You'll be broke and your family will hate you!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM

42 posts, read 103,919 times
Some move out and some move in ---That would be in each and every state. Were all trying to find eden. But you know where that eden is ? Its family and friends .

Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSG View Post
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to start a Stow vs. Cleveland debate. Overall I've found most places that are smaller family owned places are for the most part not that good. Take Crooked River Grill - Used to be a nice family place but has gone downhill to the point that the food and especially service is horrible. Paragons - same thing. In Stow I'm left with Moe's, Applebees, TGI Fridays - All places I try to avoid. Don's cafe in Stow is the only good one left!

Atlanta and Houston (BTW I used to live in Houston) are so damn big that you can basically find whatever you wanted down there. Some nice Italian, a nice park, some nice BBQ, a good concert - You can live your lifestyle and still be happy. Where are those things in Cleveland? When I ask about Italian restaurants around here, 99 percent of the people will say "Oh, there's an Olive Garden right down there"! Where is the good nightlife nowadays? There's a reason that the best parts of the Flats from the Mid-90s are in a landfill somewhere.

Also, someone mentioned the Rock Hall and the Science Center - which are nice places, but honestly how often can you go to those? Once a year? Once every two years? Try taking your family ever other weekend to the Rock Hall. You'll be broke and your family will hate you!
Head up to Cleveland and try out some places in Little Italy, Tremont, Ohio City, Downtown, Lakewood, the Heights...among others. I'm confused if you don't think you can find good restaurants in Northeast Ohio, although maybe you don't get out of Stow much? I agree that Stow is about as lame as it gets and many of the people that live there have a lame mentality to go along with it. Some of my Akron friends call the locals Stowbillies LOL.

Downtown Cleveland has about as many bars and restaurants as any other metro area of its size, plus all the sporting events. You bring up the downfall of the flats (which is slated for redevelopment) but the fact is Cleveland's downtown nightlife is in the Warehouse District and E. 4th Street Area. There are also good neighborhood bars on the west side. Actually, even Akron's downtown nightlife has seemed to have improved in recent years.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:

Nice Italian? Little Italy has tons of authentic Italian restaurants.
Nice Parks? Shaker Lakes, Rockefeller Park, Botanical Gardens, etc.
Good concerts? Every year top artists come to TCA and The Q.
Nice BBQ? Okay, I'll pass on that one since I don't know. Hot Sauce Williams, maybe?

BTW #1: Atlanta has Moe's everywhere.
BTW #2: I agree with you about the Rock Hall and Science Center, not a big draw for locals.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Where are those things in Cleveland? When I ask about Italian restaurants around here, 99 percent of the people will say "Oh, there's an Olive Garden right down there"!
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other in this debate, but just wanted to let you know that reading the line about people saying there's an Olive Garden when asked about an Italian restaurant cracked me up!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other in this debate, but just wanted to let you know that reading the line about people saying there's an Olive Garden when asked about an Italian restaurant cracked me up!

Ah, you must be Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio