Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
1) Current or former Ohio location:

Akron

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

Too much trash is moving into the area. In the last 2 years the Chapel Hill area is looking like Cleveland, and the cops are useless.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

SE Ohio OR PA, we have not decided yet...but it WILL be in the next 6 months!

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

NC or Florida

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

Our doctors (they are the best!) and some family.

6) Anything else you want to say?

Ohio has been home for 50 years, but with all the trash moving in and sucking up any type of local resource they can it is just not for us anymore. The NE Ohio area use to be a great place to live, but no more. Car thefts, murders, B&E's, all have increased in the last 2 years in my area 100 fold. It seems like everyday a neighbor has had his car keyed, or broke into, or has been approached for $$ in his own driveway, etc.

If you have kids, and you love them, get out of this area NOW!
I wouldn't make N.Carolina a second choice if I were you. They graduate idiots out of thier schools. And most places are stuck in the 60's when it comes to the equality of the races. And I should know, my Ex-wife was a moron and she was a high school grad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I wouldn't make N.Carolina a second choice if I were you. They graduate idiots out of thier schools. And most places are stuck in the 60's when it comes to the equality of the races. And I should know, my Ex-wife was a moron and she was a high school grad.
YUP, take it from an Ohioan that moved to NC and ran screaming out of there.
If the previous poster you were responding to thinks that trash moving in is sucking up all the local resources, he/she better be prepared for thousands upon thousand upon thousands of illegal Mexican immigrants in the state of NC (# 3 in the US) and not to mention the worst milk one could ever hope to drink. I have not been able to have a bowl of cereal since I've moved to NC and now SC. Don't know what it is but their milk is horrible...along with their food.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
YUP, take it from an Ohioan that moved to NC and ran screaming out of there.
If the previous poster you were responding to thinks that trash moving in is sucking up all the local resources, he/she better be prepared for thousands upon thousand upon thousands of illegal Mexican immigrants in the state of NC (# 3 in the US) and not to mention the worst milk one could ever hope to drink. I have not been able to have a bowl of cereal since I've moved to NC and now SC. Don't know what it is but their milk is horrible...along with their food.
So thats what they did, they put the stupid in the milk . Please Mrs. P stay away from the milk, it'll make you like one of them!!!! Get out of the Carolina's while you have all your faculties about you!!! Move to Montana they love smart people up there. Besides, beautiful people live in the beautiful states.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 AM

98 posts, read 314,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I lived 8 years in NC before being transferred to Ohio, NC is a far better place than Ohio. Good high paying jobs in the larger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh, clean neighborhoods, fantastic weather, Raleigh has been rated high as far as those cities with people having advanced degrees, shall I go on? What does Ohio have to offer anyone? Dirty run down neighborhoods, low paying jobs, crime ridden cities, and 6-8 months of winter. The only good thing is people use Ohio's universities for education then leave the state for better opportunities across the board, it's called brain drain. So that would make Ohio have more idiots with the left overs.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
I lived 8 years in NC before being transferred to Ohio, NC is a far better place than Ohio. Thats your opinion

Good high paying jobs in the larger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh (we Have them too), clean neighborhoods (gott'm), fantastic weather, I love all 4 seasons, great for growing good strong crops.

Raleigh has been rated high as far as those cities with people having advanced degrees, shall I go on? Please do, I need a good laugh .

What does Ohio have to offer anyone? Dirty run down neighborhoods, low paying jobs, crime ridden cities, Not everywhere. I saw lots of old run down parts of NC (country and city) when I was there and they still treat anyone thats not white like trash.

and 6-8 months of winter. We're not Alaska/ 4 month and that depends on how close to the lake you live or the snow belt/ still good for the crops. The only good thing is people use Ohio's universities for education then leave (not to NC or SC if they're real smart ) the state for better opportunities across the board, it's called brain drain (its called OTFLMAO). Then why does Ohio have some of the best Hospital and research centers in the country?

So that would make Ohio have more idiots with the left overs.
For the most part our schools are harder to graduate from, if you don't want to take college prep then you can attend a vocational school. Fayetteville, Dunn and a few other schools graduate the kids just to get them out of thier way. My Ex was a high school grad and she couldn't convert fractions to percentage, percentage to decimals and decimals back to fractions again. And she had the gull to ask me if the great lakes were man made. Now thats dumb, she had no idea how to work BASIC algebra. We're not perfect, just far better that NC and SC both put together.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Lol no need to get offended if someone doesn't like our state.

I'm from and live in Ohio, but I can't say West5548 is making horrible accusations.

Eastbound, I wouldn't say Ohio has 4 months of winter. It's more like 6, seriously. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either, I'm just saying, West wasn't pulling that number out of his butt, it's pretty much true.

Also, I wouldn't say Raleigh is full of dummies. Raleigh has North Carolina State University in it's city, and it's in the Research Triangle, surrounded by University of North Carolina and Duke University. Hardly dummies graduating from there. Plus, graduates of those places are staying in the Raleigh area since it's a nice area.

I'm just saying. Now is West correct on all his/her accusations? No. I wouldn't say all of Ohio's cities are crime ridden and dirty. Ohio isn't the armpit of the United States. I don't mind living here. In my opnion, it gets a bad rep. But, just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean we should attack one of their cities. Seriously, Raleigh isn't full of dummies. When Duke and UNC and NCSU graduates populate a city, it's far from dumb.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

Columbus - former location

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

Two reasons: a job, and the fact that I wanted to live someplace new. I didn't dislike Columbus, but there's so many more interesting places out there to live in than a city like Columbus. I was looking for something bigger with more culture and less of a small-town mentality.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

I live in Washington, DC now. Pretty much for the reasons I stated above. I love DC, but don't know how long I will be here. Would love to give Chicago or San Francisco a try, or perhaps something overseas (such as London or Sydney).

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

At the time I moved, Chicago and Boston.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

N/A

6) Anything else you want to say?

Ohio is neither as bad nor as good as people think it is. It's a decent place to be, and a fine place to grow up. It's got things to do, and it's affordable. But it doesn't excel at anything, and no part of it is particularly unique or overly interesting. Columbus has some lovely neighborhoods and its charms, but it's nothing special. It's average, all around.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM

146 posts, read 336,119 times
What do people consider to be "winter"? I think we have maybe 3 months of Winter. Basically December 1st, through March 1st. (Although January 1st is more like it) Yes, sometimes we'll get a snow squall in late November, that is still fall. Sometimes it gets below freezing in March, that is still spring. I remember living next to a football recruit in the dorms that was from Chippewa Falls, Wi. He thought Ohio had 3 seasons, winter not being one of them.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
What do people consider to be "winter"? I think we have maybe 3 months of Winter. Basically December 1st, through March 1st. (Although January 1st is more like it) Yes, sometimes we'll get a snow squall in late November, that is still fall. Sometimes it gets below freezing in March, that is still spring. I remember living next to a football recruit in the dorms that was from Chippewa Falls, Wi. He thought Ohio had 3 seasons, winter not being one of them.
I guess it depends where you live like someone stated earlier. I live relatively close to the snow belt. We get snow from November-April pretty much. Although not much in November, sometimes none at all, and same goes for April. However, when it's technically still Fall in November, it feels absolutely freezing at times, and same goes for April when it's techinically still Spring. Yeah, it may be "technically" a different season, but it's still freezing just like Winter, so I guess that's why I personally say Winter is about 6 months long. Again, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying lol.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
I lived 8 years in NC before being transferred to Ohio, NC is a far better place than Ohio. Good high paying jobs in the larger cities like Charlotte and Raleigh, clean neighborhoods, fantastic weather, Raleigh has been rated high as far as those cities with people having advanced degrees, shall I go on? What does Ohio have to offer anyone? Dirty run down neighborhoods, low paying jobs, crime ridden cities, and 6-8 months of winter. The only good thing is people use Ohio's universities for education then leave the state for better opportunities across the board, it's called brain drain. So that would make Ohio have more idiots with the left overs.
I live 2 miles from Charlotte...I took a 10,000.00 pay cut. Same job, exact same industry. Charlotte is crime infested, I wouldn't even go to South Park Mall anymore. Charlotte has changed...much for the worse. Nice weather, ok neighborhoods that people can't get their houses sold in...same thing.
Unemployment as high and usually higher than Ohio. But you are right the weather is better, but they lack so much more, especially in the arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio