Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I've lived in many states and spend decades in Columbus and Cleveland. Decided to move to NC 7 hrs ago and never looked back. Best thing me and my family ever did. There are many transplants from the north here and I can tell you I have yet to meet anyone that doesn't absolutely love it here and would never move back to the north. So yes, the grass can be greener on the other side.
So within 7 hours of moving you already came to that conclusion? I would personally at least give it a few weeks or months before making that statement lol.

Or did you mean 7 years (yrs)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:15 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
So within 7 hours of moving you already came to that conclusion? I would personally at least give it a few weeks or months before making that statement lol.

Or did you mean 7 years (yrs)?
Wait until you get tired of the traffic, mosquitos, heat, high cost of living, 40 degree and rainy winters and backwards politics (yes, they can get worse than Kasich... they just draw less attention as Teatardation is business as usual down there)

Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Most people seem to move because of the weather difference. The quality of life is similar and the cost of living is actually more expensive in NC vs Ohio, which contradicts a popular myth.

Let's say you make $50,000 a year in Columbus. Here's the percentage of how much more you have to make to maintain the same standard of living in various NC, Sunbelt, and Western cities that seem to be popular right now.

Winston-Salem, NC: +0.5%
Raleigh, NC: +6.7%
Durham, NC: +4.9%
Wilmington, NC: +7.3%
Charlotte, NC: +1.3%
Myrtle Beach, SC: +3.5%
Charleston, SC: +6.9%
Columbia, SC: +9.1%
Atlanta, GA: +3.8%
Savannah, GA: +1.6%
Richmond, VA: +13.5%
Virginia Beach: +21.4%
Montgomery, AL: +7.8%
Austin, TX: +3.8%
Houston, TX: +0.2%
Miami, FL: +15.2%
Jacksonville, FL: +1.0%
Orlando, FL: +6.3%
Tampa, FL: +0.5%
Denver, CO: +12.2%
Tuscon, AZ: +4.8%
Phoenix, AZ: +9.4%
Las Vegas, NV: +10.7%
San Diego, CA: +43.7%
LA: +48.1%
San Francisco: +78.2%

There were only a few big cities I could find that were cheaper, mostly in Tennessee (Memphis, Nashville). Dallas was about 0.1% cheaper, but the difference is gradually changing in all of these. You can't have boomtown growth and not a put a strain on infrastructure, edcuation, health, etc. Costs are going up, eliminating a lot of the cost reasoning to move, and most places are already more expensive.
Ohio is cheaper because nobody wants to live here I am willing to pay a premium to have a quality of life I can't have in Ohio.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Ohio is cheaper because nobody wants to live here I am willing to pay a premium to have a quality of life I can't have in Ohio.
Except maybe being able to spend more time outdoors in the winter, I'm not sure what there is that you can find there that you can't find in Ohio. And the ridiculously hot Southern summers cancel out the winter benefits, imo. In fact, more tourism dollars are spent in Ohio than in almost all of the Sunbelt states outside of perhaps Florida and Texas. North Carolina made about $17 billion in 2008 compared to about $36 billion for Ohio. Last year, Ohio did about $38 billion. This idea that Ohio has nothing to see or do exists pretty much exclusively in the minds of those trying to make themselves feel better about where they want to move or have moved to.

Also, Ohio is still the 7th most populous state, and continues to grow, albeit slower than before. It has one of the best economies in the Midwest (and nationally) in Columbus, and both Cleveland and Cincinnati are seeing significant amounts of redevelopment.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Except maybe being able to spend more time outdoors in the winter, I'm not sure what there is that you can find there that you can't find in Ohio. And the ridiculously hot Southern summers cancel out the winter benefits, imo. In fact, more tourism dollars are spent in Ohio than in almost all of the Sunbelt states outside of perhaps Florida and Texas. North Carolina made about $17 billion in 2008 compared to about $36 billion for Ohio. Last year, Ohio did about $38 billion. This idea that Ohio has nothing to see or do exists pretty much exclusively in the minds of those trying to make themselves feel better about where they want to move or have moved to.

Also, Ohio is still the 7th most populous state, and continues to grow, albeit slower than before. It has one of the best economies in the Midwest (and nationally) in Columbus, and both Cleveland and Cincinnati are seeing significant amounts of redevelopment.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess? I am glad you like it here, truly, and I have a "feeling" you live in a "nicer" part of the state. For the record, the NE area isn't so great, dying actually. I like hot weather, obviously you don't. But,the main reason we are leaving is because my husband works in Charlotte, so anywhere in the southeast would be much easier commute wise for him.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess? I am glad you like it here, truly, and I have a "feeling" you live in a "nicer" part of the state. For the record, the NE area isn't so great, dying actually. I like hot weather, obviously you don't. But,the main reason we are leaving is because my husband works in Charlotte, so anywhere in the southeast would be much easier commute wise for him.
lollll

The northeast area is losing people like you but attracting the creative class.

The Sunbelt will fall as soon as their massive aged populations start to die off.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:

I don't doubt that but do you have a link?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I don't doubt that but do you have a link?
Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/63rexeb - broken link)

Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/63rexeb - broken link)
I know very well how to google. I wanted to know where 'he' got those stats. BTW you might want to google about Cleveland and earthquakes.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Charlotte is about to be hit by a ton of layoffs. Bank of America is going to close at least 600 branches and lay off 30,000-40,000 workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio