U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM

352 posts, read 1,137,039 times
Default Thinking about leaving Ohio??? Get in line and fill this out

Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM

352 posts, read 1,137,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Youngstown, Warren area

Low wages, poor weather, horrible economy. There seems to be a chip on almost everyone's shoulder in NE Ohio, because most have suffered wage cuts or job loss. The steel mill mentality of demanding high paying manufacturing jobs will chase away any factory from locating in Youngstown. The Union is still up to doing it's dirty tricks. When Waffle House was built they protested by inflating a giant rat in the parking lot. Low housing prices are a sign of too many houses, no demand for the market in relation to the rest of the USA

Denver, Colorado. It is beautiful, safe, clean, has four seasons, is near the mountains, always sunny (over 300 sunny days a year), is surprisingly not an icebox, I could go on and on...

N/A

N/A

It is refreshing to see that the American dream is still possible. Don't settle for less than the best.
And that is how it works.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 AM

5,813 posts, read 7,126,504 times
Quote:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Southern Lorain county

I'm sick of the taxes, the people and the wlefare riders.

Eastern Oklahoma

Montana, or Wyoming

The sale of my business and home

Ohio is one step short of a Communist state!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,989,162 times
Quote:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Cortland OH

High taxes, attitudes and "union" mentality of majority of people. Property value depreciation instead of appreciation (with no end in sight). Increased welfare recipients. Lack of business. NE OH was built on steel. Steel is dead for US manuf. (for the most part) and everything this area was built on has left, meaning all the big money has left. The economic drivers are in the process of leaving (if they haven't already) or will be in the next few years. Unions are driving manufacturing out and this area was built on it.

Kila/Kalispell Montana. Property value continues to appreciate even in the current housing market mess. Taxes are considerably less. Schools are actually better than Cortland (which are excellent to begin with) Some of the best scenery in the country. Monthly utilities equate to 1/3 of what they are in OH for the same house. Economy is driven by influx of money and not dependent on manufacturing. Considerably easier to start a new business in a growing economy instead of a dying one. Housing costs does not support or encourage an influx of poor.

Anywhere in the spine of the Rocky Mnts.

Nothing, moving shortly.

OH is a wonderful place. I grew up here and have always kept a house here my entire life. Money continues to leave NE OH though and nothing but poor is taking its place when it's place is being taken and driving the value of everything down farther overall. Downtown Warren looks like a war zone anymore. Eventually the area will be full of poor as this area is one of the best areas for poor to live with the cost of housing so low and continuing to drop. Just as myself, those that can afford better for their families will move to a more prosperous part of the world eventually. My family deserves better than what NE OH can offer or will be able to offer in the future. I still love OH and always will but it is time to move on to greener pastures, or mountains in my case.
It is my opinion the once the unions are dissolved for the most part (which is actually happening now) and as the poor take over NE OH, we will once again see manufacturing move back into the area to take advantage of the reduced wages that all the poor will be fighting for. Cheap labor is already available in NE OH and it will only get cheaper. It's called economics. Now do I want my kids involved in this situation and the fallout that comes from it if I can help it.......absolutely not !

Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 PM

302 posts, read 651,953 times
South of Cleveland
I do not like Cleveland, and Ohio in general. My career objectives have nothing to do with Ohio at all. I'm not too fond of the cold, however if its a place I like then I can live with it. Taxes keep on getting raised up to make up for poor management(its seems like its like that everywhere though). Ohio is pretty boring to begin with anyways.
Be stationed in Central Europe. Its where my interests are, plus it is Beautiful, Safe(compared to American cities), has Best Food Ever and its where I'm from anyways.
Would not mind having land out west somewhere.
Finishing up my Degrees

Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,387,325 times
Quote:
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Dayton (Beavercreek)

Pursue degree, Ohio really isn't known for international relations.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:American Univeristy in Washington DC

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:I'd love to eventually live in a place like Dubai or London.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:In-state tuition/finishing degree.

I love Ohio, don't get me wrong, but this state just doesn't have the world prestige I am looking for in a place to live. I'm extremly lucky in the lot I've been thrown in life so I've never had to deal with the problems of family members losing jobs (unless its to IT outsourcing) and not having a place to go. Maybe I'd come back to Ohio once I tire of being overseas.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 PM

143 posts, read 582,994 times
1) Current or former Ohio location: Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Got a better job offer to advance my career. Im leaving in two weeks.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Maryland. Higher pay/more prestigous job title.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Columbus,Oh and Chicago ..I was extremely close to staying in Ohio and moving to Columbus for a better cost of living. Columbus is the only place worth living in Ohio as far as Im concerned.

6) Anything else you want to say? The strongest aspect that could have kept me from moving from Ohio was the low cost of living..Ohio simply dosent market itself well. Most people I talk to dont know what Ohio has to offer. While its not the greatest, the state is underrated..Once I leave I wont be one of those people to bad mouth the place..Its my place of birth and the state has served its purpose in my life. If you seriously want to advance your career you have to move to places like NY, LA, Chicago or DC..States like Ohio just dosent offer this.. The thing Im gonna miss the most are the midwestern family values..Ohio is vintage America..The area Im moving (Washington DC) is a transient city and extremely liberal in nature.

Last edited by vader; 02-16-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 AM

492 posts, read 1,582,553 times
Quote:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Lived in Youngstown until last year

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I was looking for something much more exciting. I find Ohio to be dull. Sure it's diverse, but each of the "regions" in Ohio are mediocre in my opinion. For example, I like that NE Ohio is heavily urbanized, but so are many other places in the country that I like more, such as the East Coast or Chicago. Sure it has Amish country, but I like Lancaster County, PA better. Sure Cleveland has beautiful suburbs, but I like the Philly Main Line better. Sure Ohio has mountains, but I think the Rockies are better. Sure it has beaches on Lake Erie, but I prefer the ocean. Sure Columbus is a fast-growing city, but I like Charlotte better. And sure Cincinnati is an interesting river town, but I like Pittsburgh better...

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: I made a drastic move: I went to South Korea for a year. When I'm finished, I may go to a different country, or I might move somewhere in PA or MD.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: see above

6) Anything else you want to say? I have a soft spot for Youngstown. I'd really like to see that city to turn around.
I definitely didn't dislike the time I spent in Ohio. It's just not one of my favorite places...

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,939,061 times
people above who trash unions have either never worked for one or are referring to very old and outdated history. unions offer a much better standard of life for families than any comparable non-union job. i dont know of a single person who would choose a non-union job over a union job. corporate profit is a must if a company wants to grow and prosper. corporate greed is whats moving jobs out of state and out of this country. and to all the people leaving ohio. good luck, sometimes the grass is greener. i just wonder where the millions of people will be getting their fresh water out west in 20 yrs ? i bet people will move back to the great lakes and eastern cities again in the not too distant future.....i guess i dont understand this country anymore. high paying jobs leaving the country, slippery slope of our rights being taken away. bill gates trading hundreds of millions of american dollars into euros ? thats scary ! wow, sorry for this off subject rant.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:53 PM

122 posts, read 289,236 times
Quote:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Former: Akron, OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I left back in '95 about a year after I was laid off from my job. It seemed like the recession of the early '90s never got better in NE Ohio and I had to work 2 low-paying jobs in order to get by because I couldn't find another full-time position comparable to the job I was laid off from.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: I was in my mid 20s and somehow was able to save up enough money to relocate to Raleigh, NC for a decent job. I eventually settled in Wilmington, NC. Also, all my family was (and still is) in Akron and I was ready for a change and to experience life in a new place. Like most people, I was young and adventurous at one time and knew in the back of my mind that I could always return.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Actually, I would move back to Ohio. Maybe Columbus where there are more jobs in my field, but probably not NE Ohio again. Another choice would be Pittsburgh, PA or Chicago. I miss the drastic changes of the seasons and people who are deep-rooted in their communities. Much, if not most, of the urban South is very transient.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: I decided to go back to college here in NC. After I graduate in a couple years, I can relocate if I choose to.

6) Anything else you want to say? I do not regret at all leaving OH back in '95. I think everyone should experience life in another place, be it only temporary. It will make you appreciate where you came from. I have enjoyed my 14 years in N.C., but my quality of life is not what it was when I first moved here. I will always be a midwestern Buckeye boy at heart and I have some small desire to return to my roots.
For what it's worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio