U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-05-2007, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 41,552 times
Default columbus

Hi,
I think Columbus is a great fit for you. First of all, I'm pretty sure there are no areas around here that are dedicated to the confederacy. Secondly, your race will not be an issue around Columbus because it is a very accepting community. Though it is a large city, it gives off the warmth of a small town. I can' speak for Dayton because I've never lived there, but I have visited and I can say that transportation is definitely better in Columbus (an asset for a single mother). Columbus is also a younger city than Dayton in which case, you might not end up being a single mother forever. Columbus is also doing better demographically than Dayton. Good luck in choosing a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM

110 posts, read 291,139 times
^ I would also go to Columbus. The Dayton area economy is in pretty bad shape now and does not look to improve in the near future.

Unread 02-10-2007, 09:00 PM

547 posts, read 1,270,052 times
I would suggest Columbus, hands down. I've lived in both cities, and Columbus beats Dayton in so many areas: jobs, diversity, and just overall civic pride. People in Columbus love being in/from Columbus, and it really rubs off on non-natives.

Unread 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM

8 posts, read 21,151 times
Columbus isn't much better then Dayton except in size both have beautiful suburbs and the poverty ridden areas both look like crap, People favor Columbus more because of the whole sports feel with Ohio State and maybe because it has a few more jobs, I'm from Dayton, OH and I also lived in Columbus and unless your dealing with a corporate job you will not see much change in the whole job area...

My advice: Dayton if you want to live in a less congested city with some nice clubs and beautiful suburban areas and very nice people.

Or

Columbus if you don't mind a larger city with just as much to offer as the smaller city just with a heavier populated number of people a lot of traffic and pretty much the same nightlife environment.

Unread 04-28-2007, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 21,151 times
oh and i know this thread is old but me being from Dayton and not seeing much positivity about the city i decided to just give my advice for anybody in this situation if it helps you in anyway, then i am happy i was able to do that if it doesn't maybe it will help the next person or just disregard it.

Unread 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 54,732 times
I am a life-long Dayton resident (although I'm relocating soon). My parents are as well. I live in the city of Dayton and what I can tell you is that be careful when moving to a city like Dayton. Someone said just move to the suburbs but my advice is that Columbus may be a better choice because of its economic growth in the city and outer areas as well. If you're considering long-term then consider a city that has growth in all areas because contrary to popular belief the city and all surrounding areas do NOT exist separately--they coexist. And eventually problems of the city can spread outward. In addition, I would like to live in a place where the city has interesting things to do and yet I can still feel safe.

Dayton is plagued by bad schools and a high crime rate. In the 80s and up to mid 90s I would have recommended the city to anyone but now I hesitate. Although, it is not some kind of terror zone by any means... given that you have the opportunity to start from scratch why not go to a city with the most potential?

Dayton is making some moves but seems as if leaders don't realize it starts with education and jobs. You cannot have much growth without the two and skimping on our kids is not the way to go.

Dayton is diverse but let me tell you that at one time it was reported (can't remember where) that it is one of the most segregated cities in the US. I guess it is changing somewhat but not by much. My mother is a homebased school teacher and has had people refuse her visits because of the color of her skin and a co-worker has had to take on a student that was initially assigned to her.

If you do decide to move here, Kettering is a good choice but see if you can visit the area first. Centerville is probably even better, farther south, and maybe even more expensive.

Since you want to avoid intown altogether I'll avoid giving you the lowdown of good neighborhoods to move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio