Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM

24 posts, read 39,881 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

In October, I will be driving from Baltimore, MD to Watseka, IL. Ohio is about the half way point, so I am hoping to stop somewhere there for the evening. Can somebody suggest an area to stay in that is cheap (maybe has a Super 8 nearby), safe, and maybe has something interesting I can visit or see that evening? My trip will basically take me right through the center of the state, through Columbus. I know I'm being very broad in this request, because Ohio is a big state. I know absolutely nothing about the state, however, and I'm not sure where to even start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:00 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie90 View Post
Hello everybody,

In October, I will be driving from Baltimore, MD to Watseka, IL. Ohio is about the half way point, so I am hoping to stop somewhere there for the evening. Can somebody suggest an area to stay in that is cheap (maybe has a Super 8 nearby), safe, and maybe has something interesting I can visit or see that evening? My trip will basically take me right through the center of the state, through Columbus. I know I'm being very broad in this request, because Ohio is a big state. I know absolutely nothing about the state, however, and I'm not sure where to even start.
What day of the week, date for your trip? Would you be able to catch an Ohio State football weekend?

Check out the Hocking Hills. Check tripadvisor.com for reservations in the area (Logan, Ohio).

If you want to check out Columbus, perhaps check the Shadowbox Live schedule.

Glen Helen Nature Preserve, a National Natural Landmark near Yellow Springs, is open until dusk.

Glen Helen Nature Preserve | Yellow Springs

Personally, I would arrange my schedule (early starts, etc.) with the goal of seeing some of the history attractions in Dayton (the Wright Flyer III and Huffman Prairie Flying Field would top my list). Carillon Brewing Co. is open until 10 p.m., if you would be interested in 19th century beer recipes.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM

20 posts, read 21,112 times
I would suggest looking at small towns outside of Columbus if you want cheap. I stayed at the Hilton in March and it was over 300 for the night in downtown Cbus Look around Hebron or Zanesville possibly for something a little cheaper. You wont get to see the city but it will save you a couple bucks! Good luck!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:43 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
I'd take the route that puts you on US 50 in West Virginia and stop in Athens, OH for the night. It's a beautiful college town nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. October is the perfect time to visit, as the leaves are beautiful and the campus is alive with students. The Saturday farmers market is great, and Casa Nueva constantly makes lists of best restaurants in Ohio. Jackie O's Brewery is also worth the visit. October is the prime time to try some pawpaw beer, a local speciality. If there is a football game, you'll be able to see the Marching 110, one of the best marching bands in the country.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
If you are traveling along Interstate 70, stay at any of the hotels located on Ohio Route 256, Reynoldsburg-Pickerington exit or anything east of that. If you feel like driving a little further, there are also some budget hotels along the Rome - Hilliard Road exit. Anything west of that is also fine.

Anything west of Ohio 256 and east of Rome Hilliard Road (along I-70, that is) I would avoid in terms of staying at a budget hotel.

If you take the US 50 / US 33 scenic route, there is a group of newish hotels in Lancaster Ohio and in at the US 33 / Hamilton Road exit near Groveport Ohio. US 33 is virtually all freeway between West Virginia and Columbus. Even the two-lane section near the Ohio river is what they call a "super two" which is really half of a freeway. As you drive through there you will see that it is basically designed as a freeway they just did not build the other side of it because they didn't think there was enough traffic to justify it.

I wouldn't be worried about staying in either Lancaster or Groveport. And the previous comment was correct US 33 is a very scenic drive.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 08-04-2016 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcclain91 View Post
I would suggest looking at small towns outside of Columbus if you want cheap. I stayed at the Hilton in March and it was over 300 for the night in downtown Cbus Look around Hebron or Zanesville possibly for something a little cheaper. You wont get to see the city but it will save you a couple bucks! Good luck!

Don't stay in Franklin County (Columbus). There is an exorbitant hotel tax in that county.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:50 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Don't stay in Franklin County (Columbus). There is an exorbitant hotel tax in that county.
Every place has a pretty exorbitant hotel-motel tax these days. Travelers are easy pickings. When you're talking the kind of place that Motel 6 is, you're talking no more than a few bucks.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:19 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
If you want to stay in Columbus avoid the 161-71 exit, the motels there are a well known problem area for drugs, prostitution and other illegal activities.

Better choices are Dublin, Worthington or Westerville. Each suburb has a small town style downtown with some shops and restaurants to explore. The motels will be along the 270 freeway, cheapest seems to be Motel 6 at around 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio