U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM

295 posts, read 731,724 times

Advertisements

You can also go to the city's page at city-data.com. Each city has a "sunshine" chart. You can see how a particular city ranks with the rest of the U.S. Dayton gets way to dark & cloudy for us (which is one of the reasons that we are moving).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 PM

25 posts, read 47,361 times
Ive lived both NW USA and NE OH and if you check the records Cleveland has fewer sunny days than Seattle(think than means days with total sun) but Seattle's cloudy ones tend to be all in a row during the winter season and because it is much farther north it gets dark way earlier in the afternoon Cleveland has days with half sun and half clouds quite often. Excellent sources for info in an area would be the county web sites or their tourist bureau sites

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 AM

886 posts, read 1,904,641 times
Currently live in Columbus - and yes it's cloudier than I'm used to (native Southerner). With that said, it's really not that bad. I don't see what the big deal is - really ...

Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 18,531 times
It is more sunny in the Western part of Ohio for some reason, we also dont get as much snow generally..

Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM

421 posts, read 213,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Currently live in Columbus - and yes it's cloudier than I'm used to (native Southerner). With that said, it's really not that bad. I don't see what the big deal is - really ...
A lot of the times that I've been to the South, I've been disappointed with copious amounts of rain and lots of clouds. But it probably has more to do with perception than it does with reality. People in Ohio, think in the South it's hot all the time with bright sunshine. But these weather stats show that while it's more sunny in the South than it is in Ohio, there's still no shortage of cloudy days. Atlanta's only got 110 clear days in a year, which is less than one in three days. Of course, this is more than ~70 or so for Ohio, but it's by no means a sunny cloud free climate. I think you have to get to Florida, or go out west if you're really looking to avoid cloudy weather.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Default Cloudy for sure!

I don't know which state of Ohio you are all living in but I'm between Cleveland and Marietta off 77 and I can tell you this is the cloudiest place I've ever lived. Actually, one young girl I know did a report for school several years ago about our state and there were only 43 days of sun in an entire year. Being married to a North Carolina beach bum and having moved him here I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in the amount of sun we see. He hates it. I have honestly considered moving somewhere else just because of this issue so I can totally understand the person who has a concerned husband.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,884,937 times
This is the one main thing that I dont like about Ohio. Of course there is places around the US that are way cloudier and hardly get any sun, but Ohio is not too far behind them. We have a good amount of sun/sunny days from April-September, but from October-march its a lot below average. The worst months are December-February. When I was younger I didnt notice much of a difference but now that Im grown I notice that I enjoy the summer/sunny months a lot more, especially when Im outside a lot.

Overall its not that bad. You just have to learn to deal with it like 11.5 million other people in Ohio do. Also Toledo gets 38 inches a year and Cleveland gets 56, I would really call that half. Toledo and Cleveland weather are for the most part exactly the same.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 PM

79 posts, read 169,044 times
The cloudiness is one of the things I LOVE about Ohio! I hate nothing more then to wake up, especially on a freezing winter day, only to be blinded by the sun. I would rather it be "darker". I love 3 or 4 days of steady light rain. I can't wait for summer thunderstorms! In Wyoming, where I moved back to Ohio from, they never had "rain" or thunderstorms, but they had a lot of blinding sunny days!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,884,937 times
If your a positive person than Ohio weather is very exciting. If your a negative person you will probably always complain about it. I dont like it all the time but it is exciting and the weather shouldnt limit what you do.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM

379 posts, read 547,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiringmind View Post
The cloudiness is one of the things I LOVE about Ohio! I hate nothing more then to wake up, especially on a freezing winter day, only to be blinded by the sun. I would rather it be "darker". I love 3 or 4 days of steady light rain. I can't wait for summer thunderstorms! In Wyoming, where I moved back to Ohio from, they never had "rain" or thunderstorms, but they had a lot of blinding sunny days!
Alright, cut it out with the jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio