U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

HEY!,I too am looking for these woolson spice co lion coffee cards!!!,if anyone has some that are of "unique",whimsical,nature,chickens/roosters,teddybears,gardening,children,animals,PLE ASE EMAIL ME @donniecribb@ymail.comTHANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
Default Woolson Freezer Jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolsonAbrams View Post
Woolson Spice Co. was owned by my GreatGreat Uncle Alvin Mansfield Woolson in the 1800's, my Great Grandfather Paul Bird Woolson also worked for his cousin. Yes, they put a card in every box. These 'Trade Cards' are bought by collectors for around $1-$15. You can look them up on ebay under Woolson or Lion Coffee. I currently have a collection of over 100 cards.

Robin Woolson Abrams
Being an amateur collector of Ball Canning jars, I was in an antique store in northern Michigan this weekend and bought a very interesting Ball Jar and am looking for some further information on it.

It is an 8 Oz. Ball Freezer jar, with lid. The interesting thing is (and the lady that owns the store tells me this is the way she received it) that it has a label on the back side of the jar which reads, (top to bottom):
FREEZER JAR
8 Oz. Net Wt.
there is a red silhouette picture of two camels, one with two riders and the other being led by a person
Under this is:
Pure
BLACK PEPPER
Packed By
The Woolson Spice Co.
Toledo, Ohio

(Photos included)

Does anyone know the age of this?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Woolson Spice Company-woolson1.jpg   Woolson Spice Company-woolson2.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,860 times
MY mother owns one of the original lion coffee boxes. It's really a beatiful piece. Still has the original buttermilk stain that was mixed with berries, I presume. It has a picture of a lion on the top and front along with woolson spice co. It's about the size of a washing machine. Does anyone know anymore about these boxes?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
I have a picture card from Lion coffee made by Woolson Spice co. Toledo Ohio. It has Pink and yellow roses with a church in the backround. does anyone know how old it is?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
Default Woolson Spice Company

I am curious about a coffee can that was made by the Woolson Spice Co. It is a one pound coffee can that has the name of Monterey Coffee on it. It is a red can with white lettering and a yellow ban at the bottom with The Woolson Spice Company, Toledo, Ohio . New York, N.Y. Any idea when this was made and then stopped production? Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
My grandfather, Paul Bird Woolson, worked for the Woolson Spice Company in the first decade of the twentieth century. His cousin had purchased the company in the mind 1890s. I am looking for factual information on when AlvinWoolson purchased and sold the company and when the first one-pound cans were sold and when the trading cards were introduced. [EMAIL="john@woolson.net"]john@woolson.net[/EMAIL]

Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,121 times
I have several cards from Woolson Spice Company

Red Riding Hood
Sinbad the Sailor
A white flower arrangement
A covered bridge with a little boy and girl walking under (surrounded in a pink rose)
A little girls pic in a frame
blue flowers

I am checking Ebay to see if there is any value in any of these. May place them on Ebay to see if there is any interest.

[email]kggma@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Hello. Interesting story with Toledo roots. My grandfather, Frederick Christen, emigrated to the US from Leiselheim, Germany in 1890, just before his 17th birthday, in order to avoid conscription into the German army. He could have chosen anyplace in America to locate, but because his mother bought coffee from the Woolson Spice Company, the young man was aware of Toledo, Ohio from the label on the can (box?) and so made Toledo his destination. Once arrived in Toledo, he worked as a tinsmith until he could open his own sheet mental and roofing company, Fred Christen and Sons, which exists to this day in its fourth generation of family ownership. Send me your e-mail addrerss and I'll send you a photo of a Woolson Spice Company can.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
I'm trying to look up or find out info on woolson spice company i'm only finding people writting about cards .i bought what looks like old picture maybe poster thats framed its called Easter Greetings little girl holding lilles .on botton of picture/poster?says copy right 1899 woolson spice company bottom middle of pic. says EASTER GREETINGS

Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Recently, I was going through some old papers I found which I had received upon my mothers passing. In searching for more information on these, I came across this page. I am not interested in selling them, but have several cards from Lion Coffee. I am wondering if anyone knows how many were made/distributed from each year? The expiration to send in (at 2 cents for shipping) was January 1, 1895, for the water color panel, size of 14 by 28 inches, so am assuming these were from 1894. I read the other posts, and would like to say thanks to the great grandson, that was an interesting bit of information.

[email]gowonsouth@yahoo.com[/email]
would love to see what the original cans look like...i have about a dozen of the cards...thanks in advance for the picture!

Last edited by Yac; 11-28-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio