U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,176 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are hoping to move to Ohio in the nearest possible future to reunite with a loved one. We have a large dog and a cat, hope to have enough land to add some farm animals to the mix someday so definitely leaning toward a country setting. Still, we'd like to be close to good schools for our son. Our family is in Mansfield, so ideally we'd like to stay within a few hours of that area. I liked what I read about Yellow Springs, Logan, and Mount Vernon. Any thoughts?

-K
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 AM

68 posts, read 103,530 times
Is the person you're moving to Ohio for located in Mansfield? If so, is it really worth it to move to Ohio if you're going to be living a few hours away? How often would you make the drive, realistically? Mt Vernon is the only city you named that is a reasonable driving distance to Mansfield, IMHO. Like most small Ohio towns, it's just a boring nice little town. I don't believe it has a gay bar, but Mansfield does. Other than a gay bar, acceptance really depends on the individuals you associate with. Rural Ohio is mostly very conservative. If you're looking for a truly accepting atmosphere Columbus would be your best bet...but that's not compatible with land unless you're looking to spend some real dough. Logan is great if you want to live as close to Hocking Hills as humanely possible while still living in something called a town. It has a Walmart and some canoe liveries, I believe, but not much else. You'd be going to Columbus or Lancaster for most other needs, I'd imagine. Don't know anything about Yellow Springs other than what you can find on the internet.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:16 AM

14,219 posts, read 13,326,556 times
Yellow Springs has the highest gay population of all Ohio's small towns. It is also very small (like 4,000 people) and the surrounding area pretty conservative, but it would be the ideal location as well as having good schools. Athens and Oberlin are liberal college towns as well, might want to look into them.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 AM

909 posts, read 1,325,142 times
Oberlin has a much shorter drive to Mansfield than Yellow Springs does, but if you don't need to make the trip that often, Yellow Springs would probably be the best choice on your list.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:41 AM

6,329 posts, read 6,196,973 times
That depends on your definition of being accepted. Small town /rural Ohioans tend to ignore each other and newcomers, most would not even bother to find out your sexual preferences, most likely they would not care to learn your name either. Is that accepting in your book? Ohio is very weird in that regard, whatever little superficial socialization is out there, it is done through churches. so if you are not a silent strong type, if you dont bring a closed social bubble of your own, you should not expect Ohioans to affirm and embrace gay you, you'll be ignored no matter who you and your preferences are. If that is OK with you, and many people do not mind, the only other negatives are somewhat high property and school taxes.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 27,522 times
Pick 2 lol.

Yellow Springs is the only truly LGBT+ friendly small town in Ohio that I'm aware of. Others in central Ohio are mostly just going to tolerate your existence and give you some funny looks at the grocery store. Logan is beautiful but I don't think it's known for particularly good schools and certainly not liberalmindedness. As others have mentioned, oberlin is another to consider. Possibly also Granville?

Some others to consider:

Delaware: not too far from mt Vernon, has the Ohio Wesleyan U campus so has more of a liberal community than normal for a small town/city, not sure about the school districts, can be fairly expensive but the more rural the less so.

Canal Winchester: cute remote-ish suburb of Columbus, no idea about the school district.

Ohio is politically very starkly divided among city/rural, even more so than everywhere else. Ideally, you'd move to Columbus. As someone above mentioned, it's extremely unlikely that you will experience anything bad in a rural area, you just might not have any real "community." People will likely be nice to you, most of them are very good at compartmentalizing, but be prepared for wildly ignorant views if you ever get them talking about it.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,176 times
Thanks everyone! As for acceptance in the community, it's more so for our son. We're more on the antisocial side, friendly but mind our own business and not very outgoing. I just don't want our son to be a target at school because of us. As for commute, we're able to meet halfway with family, which is why a few hours or so isn't going to be horrible. I have social anxiety which is why I prefer to avoid big city areas. I will look into all your suggestions. Thank you!!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:34 AM

610 posts, read 712,107 times
I'd also look at Athens.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 11,014,754 times
Have you thought about Wooster? I'm definitely more of a city person but the few times I've been to Wooster I've kinda felt a fondness for it.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM

730 posts, read 697,134 times
Another Yellow Springs vote.

Yellow Springs to Mansfield is a little over two hour drive. If this is just weekend visits that is fine. If you need to be actively involved with an aging parent's healthcare that may wear on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio