Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM

422 posts, read 758,808 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a visit to San Antonio, TX. As I was looking at the map of the city, I counted 1... 2... 3... 4! Air Force bases and 1 Army installation. This is just in one city, BTW. Where's Ohio's share of this? I think Dayton has some Air Force, and here in Columbus there's something called a "Defense Supply Center" (which obviously isn't as good as a real military installation). And you can feel the impact of this too. When I was walking around the Riverwalk area in San Antonio, at least 25% of the people there were U.S. military personnel.

Sure, Ohio's missed out on a lot of things: information technology, auto jobs to the South, energy, tourism, etc. Much of that can be blamed on Ohio's high taxes and strong unions. But how'd they miss out so badly on millitary jobs? Were Ohio's witless Congressmen asleep in Washington since WWII?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
I hear you on some of that. But tourism in Ohio is doing very well. Over 13 billion dollars in one year spent on tourism. Ohio ranks in the top 15 on tourism expense. Technology and energy are doing extremely well in Ohio. Its only going to get better with the prospects of wind energy.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:03 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
We have an Air Reserve base in Youngstown and i believe Toledo has a base as well. Oh yeah, and don't forget the Ravenna Arsenal........not sure anyone really works there though......maybe just deer!! HAHA! Only NE Ohioans traveling on Route 5 would get this.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Dayton has a huge air force base (Wright-Patterson AFB) which employs I believe somewhere like 5000 military personnel plus numerous civilian and defense contract positions. It is home to the Air Force Institute of Technology, the 445th Air Wing, NASIC HQ, and Air Force Material Command HQ. In other words, it's one h--- of a base. Tons of engineers everywhere working on things that go into space. On top of all this there is also the National Air Force Museum located at Wright-Patterson. That and I believe some of the jobs coming to Wright Patt are being transfered from the closing Randolph AFB in San Antonio. This will be in the form of Aerospace Medicine. Also, Brooks AFB in San Antonio closed and is now a technology park. Many people from Lackland come through Wright-Pat (as it's locally known) as NASIC has a station there.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 AM

138 posts, read 675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
We have an Air Reserve base in Youngstown and i believe Toledo has a base as well. Oh yeah, and don't forget the Ravenna Arsenal........not sure anyone really works there though......maybe just deer!! HAHA! Only NE Ohioans traveling on Route 5 would get this.

Toledo has an Air National Guard base at the Toledo Airport. Wright Patterson is a great base. It's hard to improve upon. Even out of state.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I think Youngstown employs over 5000 as well.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I think Youngstown employs over 5000 as well.

Wow didn't know it was that big.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Dayton has a huge air force base (Wright-Patterson AFB) which employs I believe somewhere like 5000 military personnel plus numerous civilian and defense contract positions. It is home to the Air Force Institute of Technology, the 445th Air Wing, NASIC HQ, and Air Force Material Command HQ. In other words, it's one h--- of a base. Tons of engineers everywhere working on things that go into space. On top of all this there is also the National Air Force Museum located at Wright-Patterson. That and I believe some of the jobs coming to Wright Patt are being transfered from the closing Randolph AFB in San Antonio. This will be in the form of Aerospace Medicine. Also, Brooks AFB in San Antonio closed and is now a technology park. Many people from Lackland come through Wright-Pat (as it's locally known) as NASIC has a station there.

Also, didn't know Wright-Patterson was home to the Airforce Institute for Tech. That is great news, knew it was home to a lot, but not that.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
And I believe Rickenbacker on the South side of Columbus is still open; it's an Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve base, I just don't remember which.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:

I met a soldier that is based at the Ravenna Arsenal. He overhauls large trucks, and M1A1 Abrams tanks there. He also told me that there is more happening out there than what we need to know about. Take that for what it's worth, but the best security at a military base is when people think it's no longer being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: