Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 52,366 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving from Long Island, NY to Findlay, OH. I am a bit skeptical about the life in a small town. I have lived in smaller towns like Greenville, SC but not sure how is it living in Findlay. What is the best place to rent? Any suggestions on good apartments. I am also a runner, so would like to know how is it for running. Do we have parks and grounds? Also do we have local races? I don't see many shopping options except a few stores like Sears and Kohl's. It also seems to be a white community so how is the acceptance of outsiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Findlay has two large companies based there as well as one smaller company. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

The closest mall next to the one in Findlay will be in Lima (about 35 miles) and they do have a Macy's at that mall. But you have Kroger, Meijer, Walmart and Menards in Findlay and those are all pretty good stores. (Menards is kind of a cross between Lowe's and a Discount Store.) The nicest mall in Toledo is about 55 miles away; The Columbus and Fort Wayne malls are about 90 miles away.

Lima will be the closest TV market and they have all the network affiliates. The Cable will probably give you Columbus and Toledo stations as well.

Outsiders: As long as you're a generally nice person and you blend in, nobody cares. If you're going to wear a hijab and demand that your employer install a foot wash, you should probably look elsewhere. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
As for running, most of Northwestern Ohio was once a swamp that got drained, so the land is very flat. It seems like pretty much any community of any size has a 5K run at some point in the year, and you wouldn't have to travel that far to participate in a lot of them.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
My friend's husband worked for Marathon in Findlay, they lived in Perrysburg outside of Toledo and he commuted.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason614 View Post
Outsiders: As long as you're a generally nice person and you blend in, nobody cares. If you're going to wear a hijab and demand that your employer install a foot wash, you should probably look elsewhere. When in rome, do as the romans do.
huh?
??????????????????????????????

Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 30,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Outsiders: As long as you're a generally nice person and you blend in, nobody cares. If you're going to wear a hijab and demand that your employer install a foot wash, you should probably look elsewhere. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Wat.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
100 miles to Detroit and less than an hour to Toledo for the bigger city stuff too. You'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Findlay has a Texas Roadhouse so that's pretty cool

Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
huh?
??????????????????????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorewa View Post
Wat.
I realize that the truth is jarring to some people, but it is nevertheless the truth. If you're a nice, polite, well dressed, well mannered person you could be a green man from Mars and nobody cares.

If you're going to come in and stomp your feet and make a lot of demands from people that they accommodate you, you won't last very long.

And yes, hijabs in Findlay are a no-no. If Christians can't express their faith in public because we live in a secular society, it rubs people the wrong way that certain people feel entitled to an exception. I am slightly more open-minded than the average person, and even I have no use for those rags. Leave them back in the country where you came from. I am also speaking at the child of immigrants and I would tell my own relatives the same damn thing.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And in the Rome that is Findlay they don't wear hijabs.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 AM

32 posts, read 30,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I realize that the truth is jarring to some people, but it is nevertheless the truth. If you're a nice, polite, well dressed, well mannered person you could be a green man from Mars and nobody cares.

If you're going to come in and stomp your feet and make a lot of demands from people that they accommodate you, you won't last very long.

And yes, hijabs in Findlay are a no-no. If Christians can't express their faith in public because we live in a secular society, it rubs people the wrong way that certain people feel entitled to an exception. I am slightly more open-minded than the average person, and even I have no use for those rags. Leave them back in the country where you came from. I am also speaking at the child of immigrants and I would tell my own relatives the same damn thing.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And in the Rome that is Findlay they don't wear hijabs.
You can't be a nice, polite, well dressed, well-mannered person in a hijab?

A) we don't live in a secular society. We're moving that direction, but Judeochristian is absolutely where we are still at. Which leads to B) Christians absolutely express their faith in public. Every day. There is nothing more normal than that.

If you "have no use for those rags" and want them to "leave them back in the country where you came from." You are decidedly not more open-minded than the average person.

OP: I've never been to Findlay but if it's anything like most Ohio small towns, which I'm sure it is, you would be fine being a minority however you *will* probably get stared at at the grocery store. It's an unfortunate truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio