Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,358,082 times

Advertisements

Ohio's OVI laws have been toughened once again as of April 1, but a first-time conviction still carries a one-year license suspension. Somehow, I didn't know that, probably because I'm well past my wild days when the intoxicated driving laws and enforcement were much, much more lenient.

Column: Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 02:40 PM

224 posts, read 295,506 times
I think our government should give people more options for public transportation at those times of night, in some places there are no public transportation. I feel like public transportation is really lacking in Ohio, the amount of money they get from DUI's they could build several rail lines or have more bus lines and etc.

Btw for the record I am not a drinker, but I do see problems with trying to enforce these laws while not having enough public transportation. I think if we had more public transportation then the DUI's would go down. So why doesn't our policy makers focus more on getting more public transportation available to the general population.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,305 times
If they can afford to go out and drink, they can afford a cab, if your intoxicated and call a cab from a bar and you give the bartender your keys they will call you a cab and it only costs you $3.00. It's a program that's been in place twenty years in Toledo.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 894,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye5b View Post
Btw for the record I am not a drinker, but I do see problems with trying to enforce these laws while not having enough public transportation. I think if we had more public transportation then the DUI's would go down. So why doesn't our policy makers focus more on getting more public transportation available to the general population.
Just a guess, but the 'true' urban population of Ohio is very small. The cities are very sprawled out with the vast majority of the population living in suburbia or rural areas. Public transportation is just not a reality for the general population.

I don't really see a problem with the law. If you want to avoid an OVI the power is 100% in your hands.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,155,856 times
Most people in Ohio live in rural areas? I don't think so. 1/3 of the state's 11.5 million population lives in 4 counties. It might come as a shock to some, but suburbia uses public transportation too. The problem is, our society seems to be more interested in building highways at 5-6 million dollars per mile than they are building a light rail line at a fraction of the cost. The whole reason people don't use public transportation as much as people in, say, Europe is because the systems are generally far inferior and quite inconvenient. We've chosen to fund and maintain expensive roadways with little other option. And, the whole OVI game is just another subset of the funding machine. If OVI was about safety, there wouldn't be an arbitrary BAC limit -- the offense would be about actual impairment. But, it's much easier to catch and put someone through the financial wringer by imposing the arbitrary limit and stopping them at random.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM

1,098 posts, read 894,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Most people in Ohio live in rural areas? I don't think so. 1/3 of the state's 11.5 million population lives in 4 counties. It might come as a shock to some, but suburbia uses public transportation too. The problem is, our society seems to be more interested in building highways at 5-6 million dollars per mile than they are building a light rail line at a fraction of the cost. The whole reason people don't use public transportation as much as people in, say, Europe is because the systems are generally far inferior and quite inconvenient. We've chosen to fund and maintain expensive roadways with little other option. And, the whole OVI game is just another subset of the funding machine. If OVI was about safety, there wouldn't be an arbitrary BAC limit -- the offense would be about actual impairment. But, it's much easier to catch and put someone through the financial wringer by imposing the arbitrary limit and stopping them at random.
I have a feeling that public transportation is inefficient because population density is so low. I can't imagine a buss rolling around Beavercreek or Westerville at 2am in the morning with more than 2 or 3 people on board. Just think of all the stops that would be required. Public transportation doesn't seem like a reality for most Ohioans. We've chosen not to fund public transportation for that reason. European cities have much denser urban cores. Based on this statistic that I just made up-only 1 in 5 Ohioans live in true urban environments

Last edited by Jame22; 04-11-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,358,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I have a feeling that public transportation is inefficient because population density is so low. I can't imagine a buss rolling around Beavercreek or Westerville at 2am in the morning with more than 2 or 3 people on board. Just think of all the stops that would be required. Public transportation doesn't seem like a reality for most Ohioans. We've chosen not to fund public transportation for that reason. European cities have much denser urban cores. Based on this statistic that I just made up-only 1 in 5 Ohioans live in true urban environments
I can't speak for the entire state, but Lake County is a suburban Cleveland area. It has a relatively robust mass transit system, where the most popular service is a point-to-point system often used by senior citizens and others seeking an alternative to personal, and relatively expensive cars. Even residents with a personal car appreciate the system's service to parents and even personally when a personal car is being repaired, etc.

https://laketran.com/dial-a-ride/

Laketran does offer conventional mass transit services and park-n-rides along major corridors.

I've heard about point-to-point service being offered even in rural counties, although perhaps not in Ohio.

<< The state of Ohio invests only 63 cents per capita for public transportation while neighboring Pennsylvania, Illinois and Michigan invest $85.55, $63.26 and $24.33 per capita, respectively.>>

Laketran&#x2019;s commitment to stability continues to focus on conservative spending

Laketran is sufficiently popular in Lake County that its funding has been made permanent by voters.

https://laketran.com/laketran-levy-a...ers-thank-you/

Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,155,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
The urban cores of Ohio are dense enough to support it and people will use it, if it is funded appropriately. The rail system in Cleveland (easily the best in OH) has around 10 million riders annually. The full bus-rail-BRT system accommodates around 50 million riders annually. The problem is, we will build and repair expensive roadways at the expense of much more efficient public transit in the urban centers.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:39 PM

224 posts, read 295,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The urban cores of Ohio are dense enough to support it and people will use it, if it is funded appropriately. The rail system in Cleveland (easily the best in OH) has around 10 million riders annually. The full bus-rail-BRT system accommodates around 50 million riders annually. The problem is, we will build and repair expensive roadways at the expense of much more efficient public transit in the urban centers.
If there was a good public transportation like an L train, I would use it everyday. Cities for public transportation use buses and taking the bus takes a huge amount of time out of your, in which I would never use it. It's just trying to convince people to use a system like this as well as the city councilmen and women. Plus I think since Columbus, Cleveland and Cincy are all so close together they could easily make a train system to go to these cities. I for one would use the train if I wanted to go to a Cleveland Indians game or Reds game. I would do those in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio