U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM

665 posts, read 1,206,050 times
Default Relocating to Lima, have questions.

Hello all,

My employer is most likely going to be relocating me from southern NJ to Lima, OH. I've only visited Lima once so far, and know little about it. I have a few more weeks to decide on whether to accept the change in location. I'll be making about $75,000-$80,000/yr in Lima.

The company's location is on the south side of town, not far from the big Army ordinance facility and the Breese Rd exit on I-75. I would ideally like to live within 15 minutes of here. I'd like to spend $150,000-$175,000 on a single family detatched home built within the last 25 years in a safe, stable neighborhood. Something like 1,500-2,000 sq. ft. or so with a garage and small yard, public water/sewer/gas. I'm a single 27 year old man with no kids so I don't want a neighborhood that is like 90% families with little kids running around. What are the taxes like on a home like this? What areas would you suggest I look?

Are there any good restaurants/upscale bars/lounges in Lima or is the Texas Roadhouse pretty much it?

Is there a Barnes&Noble/Borders/other similar bookstore around Lima?

Are there any weird local taxes I should know about? When I lived in PA, most towns had a local 1-2% "earned income tax." Does Ohio do that personal property tax deal where you pay annually based on your car's value and things like that?

What's the story on private golf clubs around Lima? I play a lot of golf, am a member of one here in NJ, and would like to join one in Lima that is open to folks that are new to the area. Someone mentioned Shawnee CC as being not far from the new job.

When someone from Lima wants to fly somewhere on an airline, where do they leave from? Toledo? Dayton?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM

634 posts, read 1,528,580 times
I'll try to help you with what I can, but since you're going to Lima it won't be a whole heck of a lot.

The housing situation's beyond my knowledge base. I know I have had co-workers live well in Elida, but that's about it. I'm sure some of your data can be found at the Allen County Auditor's page. At the very least, you can assess the property taxes.

As far as restaurants, bars, and bookstores, that's a bit tougher. I don't dine in Lima enough to know the smaller establishments. You've got the formula restaurants off I-75 and three Kewpee's Hamburgers in the city. I'm not much help after that.

When looking for larger stores, remember, the vast majority of them will have a store locator on their website. I happened to find this on Borders.com:

Waldenbooks
2400 Elida Rd
Lima, OH 45805
Phone: 419.331.5131

You'll be paying city income tax (http://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/dept/finance/tax%20index.asp - broken link)of 1.5%, but there's no tax assessed on your car. Depending on what school district you land in, you may have to pay a school district income tax, too.

Once again, golfing in Lima is not my strong suit. I know there's Sycamore Springs near Arlington, but that might be too much of a drive for you. I know there's a fairly challenging one on St. Rte. 224 called Red Hawk Run (http://www.redhawkrun.com/golf/proto/redhawkrun/index.htm - broken link). I even ran into this website while looking it up online. That might give you a few ideas.

Now, I would wager to say people in Lima either fly out of Dayton's airport or Columbus' as they are much more connected than Toledo's, but then again I don't know that for sure.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 51,613 times
Lima is not really a happening town. It would be a nice place to raise a family, I'd think, but not sure how much there is to do for a single guy.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I'll try to help you with what I can, but since you're going to Lima it won't be a whole heck of a lot.

The housing situation's beyond my knowledge base. I know I have had co-workers live well in Elida, but that's about it. I'm sure some of your data can be found at the Allen County Auditor's page. At the very least, you can assess the property taxes.

As far as restaurants, bars, and bookstores, that's a bit tougher. I don't dine in Lima enough to know the smaller establishments. You've got the formula restaurants off I-75 and three Kewpee's Hamburgers in the city. I'm not much help after that.

When looking for larger stores, remember, the vast majority of them will have a store locator on their website. I happened to find this on Borders.com:

Waldenbooks
2400 Elida Rd
Lima, OH 45805
Phone: 419.331.5131

You'll be paying city income tax (http://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/dept/finance/tax%20index.asp - broken link)of 1.5%, but there's no tax assessed on your car. Depending on what school district you land in, you may have to pay a school district income tax, too.

Once again, golfing in Lima is not my strong suit. I know there's Sycamore Springs near Arlington, but that might be too much of a drive for you. I know there's a fairly challenging one on St. Rte. 224 called Red Hawk Run (http://www.redhawkrun.com/golf/proto/redhawkrun/index.htm - broken link). I even ran into this website while looking it up online. That might give you a few ideas.

Now, I would wager to say people in Lima either fly out of Dayton's airport or Columbus' as they are much more connected than Toledo's, but then again I don't know that for sure.
So, JohnZ963, does this help? Any other questions?

Here's an idea too. Maybe you should rent for a year, then check out the area for the best location. It'll save you time and give you a good opportunity for some recon.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,845 times
Default Relocating to Lima, have questions

I moved to Lima in 1998 for business reasons and love it. I purchased a 3000 sq ft, 4 bedroom house with a large yard for under $200K. It has been recently appraised at $350K. Taxes on the house are about $3200/yr. If you live or work in the Lima city proper, you will get taxed 1% city taxes. I live in an area called Shawnee and work at the Oil Refinery in Lima which is just outside of Lima city limits. Lima does have a very good restaurant called Main Street Bistro. Lima is a very good place to raise a family, but it is not crawling with children. It is a typical conservative small town. The location of Lima I feel is excellent. You get small city taxes and cost of living but you are a 2 hour drive from: Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit, and Windsor, Ontario Canada. 2.5 hours from Cleveland, and 4 hours from Buffalo, NY and Chicago.

Two large Lima realtors are listed below:
http://www.cowanrealtors.com/
http://www.yocumrealty.com/

Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
Lima does have a very good restaurant called Main Street Bistro.
There's a "Bistro on Main" in Findlay. I wonder if it's under common ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
You get small city taxes and cost of living but you are a 2 hour drive from: Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit, and Windsor, Ontario Canada. 2.5 hours from Cleveland, and 4 hours from Buffalo, NY and Chicago.
It is a good example of what I like to call a hub city. If you like to travel, you've got plenty of metropolitan destinations available within a 5-6 hour drive and have your neighbors Gary & Midge keep an eye on your house for the weekend. If you don't like travel, you'll be a more at a loss on what to do in the city itself. This is why I stress people find a way to make their own fun if they aren't "jet set", so to speak.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:37 AM

665 posts, read 1,206,050 times
Art and Buckeye, thanks for the advice.

My employer's location is pretty close to that area with the oil refinery and tank farms. That's why I was leaning towards something in the Shawnee area as it seems to be only a few minutes away, and a good distance from some of the dumpy areas of the city itself.

Thanks for the info on taxes, they seem quite reasonable compared to where I am. I'm currently paying $4,000/yr. for a 1,400sf. townhouse in southern NJ.

I'm going to be out in Lima for work in about two weeks and have set aside some "personal time" to explore the area. Still trying to decide if this is a move I want to make or not.

My only other question at this point relates to weather...what's the winter snowfall like? A few inches here and there, or major 1' at a time snow storms?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

There's actually a snowfall statistic on City-Data itself. You'll need to scroll down for the graphs, but it's there. It seems to fluctuate from season to season. This year's a little on the heavier side.

Last edited by Art1979; 03-16-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Added more

Old 03-16-2008, 06:05 PM

23 posts, read 76,585 times
Well I live about an hour North in Toledo. As far as the snowfall here, it isn't too bad. Probably only once or twice a year will anything 6in+ fall. In my 18 years here, there has been double digit snowfall maybe 7 or 8 times, I think. Anyway it's not too bad at all.

Toledo averages 30in of snow a year, and 75-90% of that comes in bouts of 2-4in.

Also Cinci, which is further South, averages 19. Therefore I would assume that Lima would average between 22-28in.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,767 times
Bath is a nice area too... We relocated to Lima 6 months ago from North Carolina area. We like it since we are close to four major urban area: Dayton, Columbus, Toledo, and Fort Wayne. We look forward to the Grand Opening of Panera Bread (2 locations), Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, and Target (all happening within 1-2 years). Lima is growing for the better! The Chamber of Commerce also has a Young Professional group with monthly meetings and outings. You might want to check it out so you can get a better prospective of the life in Lima. We are enjoying it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio