U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 AM

3,335 posts, read 9,893,535 times

Advertisements

Hi TMHack2326,

Sunset and that entire neighborhood is still decent, but there are some shady people in the immediate surrounding area (ie Laird Ave, and points west). I'm on Woodland St once a week.

Many Warren neighborhoods are a mix of elderly, rentals, families, singles, druggies, etc. Twenty years ago I wouldn't hesitate to move to Sunset, but if you are worried about resale then I wouldn't buy there.

Personally, if I was going to buy in Warren I would look a little further east towards Lincoln or the areas that are Warren/Howland Schools. If you're looking at Hollywood I would look east of Genesee. In fact, I think that part of Hollywood might even be Howland.

I really do love the city of Warren, but I'm not sure that I would personally want to make an investment there if I thought there was a chance that I would want to sell in the future.

What do you mean by rural Howland? I don't find Howland to be rural at all.

I think this all comes down to what you want to spend and your personal level of comfort. If you can tell me a little bit more about what you are will to spend, what kind of amenities you're looking for and what type of neighborhood that you're used to, that would be helpful. If you're currently living in a large inner city with some crime you might find Warren crime to be small town. If you are from a suburban area you might find some Warren neighborhoods scary.

Give me some more information and I'll be better able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHack2326 View Post

CortlandGirl or anyone willing, how about the Sunset Dr. area in Warren? Looks nice on GoogleEarth, that side of Woodland St., near Laird. Beautiful house. Or further out toward Lincoln PK-8(?). Hollywood St. Which is better or am I better off in rural Howland or "affordable" Cortland?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:28 AM

3,335 posts, read 9,893,535 times
As JRC said, Hudson and the surrounding areas up there do have an elitist attitude. That doesn't surprise me at all.

If you are looking for some space and a rural area I would maybe look into Kinsman, Mecca, Johnston, Fowler, Vienna, Southington, West Farmington, etc. These places are all in Trumbull County.

Mahoning and Trumbull Counties are both pretty friendly in general. Things have changed a lot economically and socially in some ways, but the people are still pretty much the same. Obviously the inner city is going to be different than the suburbs or rural areas. I think that most people in the area would say that they feel safe outside of certain Youngstown and Warren neighborhoods.

If you have some more specific questions just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post
HOWDY, beagle_owner and Cortland Girl!

Funny that I came across this thread. We are back in Ohio (Hudson-Summit County), and, quite frankly, consider the area to be stifling. "Holier-than-thou" attitudes, elitist, stand-offish, smarmy--all the things we don't want. Sure--it looks quaint, but it's all a veneer. If you've "got yours," own a Mercedes, and want to dress 24/7 in your Guccis and Versaces, and always look down on people--Hudson OH is the place for you, but not us.

We need some space for our BEAGLE PACK and HORSES! We are a retired blue jeans 'n sweatshirt couple with more rural in our blood than city.

What is Mahoning County REALLY like? What are the PEOPLE like?

Years ago when I was a tyke, our family drove out to Warren to attend the wedding of our Dad's best WWII Army buddy. But, that was in 1953 when the steel mills were king (and so was our 1950 Buick!) Warren looked pretty good back then.

Inquiring minds want to know--What's Mahoning and Trumbull Counties like now?

Many thanks!

P.S.
We just added another darling Beagle to our pack--Miss Carrie--from a rescue group. She came from Bowling Green, KY, where no one wanted her. Now, she has the best "furever" home going and plenty 'o other Beagle company at our place! AARROOO!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 505 times
I'm originally from Canfield - the rural part. There were more horses than dogs where I grew up. As far as Cortland goes, east or north to get away from Warren and Niles. Canfield, south and west of the city. Do a Tractor Supply store search by zip code, 44406 and 44410 to get an idea. Can't say much about Cortland but if you go rural in Canfield, make sure the septic is modern, the well deep, and the basement doesn't leak. Again, where I grew up, neighbor's well @ 100' was crappy hard water. Ours @ >300' was sweet, soft water. You can check well logs here: [url]https://apps.ohiodnr.gov/water/maptechs/wellogs/app/[/url]

The Canfield Fair has it all over the Trumbull County Fair. And if you get nostalgic for people with their noses in the air, city of Canfield is a lot more like Hudson than Cortland. Though there's Whitehouse Fruit Farm half way between Canfield and Salem and Baird Bros Lumber west of town that are owned by people I grew up with and there's not a snooty bone in their bodies

Last edited by jonny quest; 11-07-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,652 times
Default Half-Dumb

Yes. But this reply function is difficult to figure out.

A month later I see this. Thank you, Cortland Girl and Kerby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or