Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:31 PM

51 posts, read 48,017 times

Advertisements

I know this sort of topic has been discussed before, but... Has anyone else re-discovered the rural, pastoral, wooded, and small-town beauty of NW Ohio after being away for a while? After graduating high school, back in the late 70's, I left for Colorado, thinking of NW Ohio as (in the words of a ham radio friend) "the armpit of the world."

After my last couple of (recent) visits back to my homeland, my viewpoint has changed entirely. I suppose it's partly due to age, and being fed up with the smog, congestion, and road rage of Califorado (er, I mean Colorado), but now, NW Ohio/the Maumee River Valley seems like one of the most beautiful places on Earth; the Oak Openings region, especially. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Northwest Ohio is an area where your personal outlook can change everything. Is the glass half empty or half full?

Old 12-18-2017, 05:40 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,545,095 times
It was and remains corn and soy beans no pasture, little nature. It is picturesque in its own way though. After looking on decline of the North Central Ohio for too long I was pleasantly surprised by the city of Bryan in NW corner, it is more alive than dead, most of Ohio towns are more dead than alive.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 PM

148 posts, read 455,415 times
I moved here 10 years ago and feel like I found a special place that most people think is flyover or "Detroit".
It's a great mix of globally-connected Midwest culture with a humane scale.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,257,115 times
DH and I are natives of NW Ohio and now live in SE Michigan roughly an hour from my hometown and 20 minutes from his. The small town I live in here is very similar to where I grew up and I love this NW Ohio/SE Michigan region. After a failed attempt to relocate to a western state several years ago (way too homesick and had to come home!) I truly appreciate the unique beauty and other qualities of this area and we will never move away again except to possibly spend 1-2 months in the winter in a warmer place when we retire, and even then I know that we will be eager to come back.

There is nothing like a summer day in NW Ohio farm country. The wide open, richly green corn and bean fields, the bright blue skies with puffy white clouds, the wooded stands of maple trees dotting the landscape between the fields...Don't even get me started on the cute small towns, county fairs and festivals, and friendly, down to earth people! I say, Ohioan by birth, NW Ohioan by the grace of God!

Old 12-25-2017, 08:59 PM

656 posts, read 2,308,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
I know this sort of topic has been discussed before, but... Has anyone else re-discovered the rural, pastoral, wooded, and small-town beauty of NW Ohio after being away for a while? After graduating high school, back in the late 70's, I left for Colorado, thinking of NW Ohio as (in the words of a ham radio friend) "the armpit of the world."

After my last couple of (recent) visits back to my homeland, my viewpoint has changed entirely. I suppose it's partly due to age, and being fed up with the smog, congestion, and road rage of Califorado (er, I mean Colorado), but now, NW Ohio/the Maumee River Valley seems like one of the most beautiful places on Earth; the Oak Openings region, especially. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.
I left for a while, but couldn't hold on to it. It was partly my inexperience but also the economy at the time. I've missed it for years. Maybe I'll have my chance again before too long. Hope springs eternal.

I'm sure plenty of Americans have this type of nostalgia for their place of birth. I won't call it "homeland," as the United States is my homeland not just a small slice of it. Considering you're, what, in your late fifties I would be more inclined to say that your needs are changing as an older adult? Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has needs, and they can change drastically. I'm not telling you anything you don't aready know.

I will be able to say with confidence: after almost four decades, I'm out. I've done my sentence, made big rocks into little rocks (metaphorically), and I'm going to be a free man forevermore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Northwest Ohio is an area where your personal outlook can change everything. Is the glass half empty or half full?
...or you realize the liquid needs changed but cannot refill it. Perception can have so much more plasticity in life. Why not use it, eh?

Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,840,594 times
I'm 30 so my life experience in NW Ohio is limited to young adulthood. But I've lived in pretty much every environment NW Ohio offers. Grew up in a farmhouse in the country, between Delta and Wauseon. Lived in a trailer as my first real home. Lived in apartments in suburban areas of Toledo. Lived in rental houses in Bowling Green. Lived in a loft apartment in downtown Sandusky on the waterfront. Currently married with a child now, in a house in a 1920s era working class neighborhood of Toledo.

I get why some people need to leave the area. The small town feel of it all, even Toledo, where everyone knows your name can be anxiety inducing for some who prefer the anonymity of a big city or the wilderness and mountains. Socially/politically/culturally I dont really identify with the average NW Ohioan but I have a safe little niche in Toledo which works for me. If either my wife or I had a lucrative job opportunity in a more desirable city or region we would possibly consider it but living here is the most feasible life choice as life anywhere else would only be more expensive and I know NW Ohio inside, out.

Different strokes for different folks though. Who knows, I may grow to be even more comfortable and content here as my child grows up and once she's an adult, I may say forget this 0 degree weather and move somewhere warm.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,135,981 times
Nope. I couldn't wait to get out of Bowling green when I was young and I have zero desire to ever live there again. I do appreciate the great childhood I had there but it seems so different now. I don't know if that's from looking at it through adult/parent eyes or if the town has really changed that much. I was a kid, I would have been happy anywhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,265,551 times
I have been fascinated with NW Ohio since reading about the Great Black Swamp when I was a child in the '70s, but it's not someplace I would like to live.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have been fascinated with NW Ohio since reading about the Great Black Swamp when I was a child in the '70s, but it's not someplace I would like to live.
Why is that? I'm not looking to pick a fight, just curious.

The swamp is pretty much gone, but there are still some nice wilderness areas. Magee Marsh is pretty awesome if you aren't looking for a traditional park like atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio