Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:21 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,393,675 times

Advertisements

I’m a lifelong Pennsylvanian (sans two dreadful years in NoVA). I quite like Ohio, so when a transplant says they’re from there I always want to know which part and normally have cool stories to share about my travels there that help to continue a mutual conversation.

I’m not at all familiar with Toledo, Dayton, Lima, Findlay, or the Hocking Hills/Marietta. Our Pittsburgh sub-forum has a couple of transplants from Toledo, so I’ve gleaned some insight about that city from them. I hope to do a long weekend later this year in Marietta/Hocking Hills.

As a younger single gay guy I get excited when a dude on Grindr tells me they’re from Ohio originally. Usually means they are less pretentious, less prone to drama, and more trustworthy than many younger Pennsylvania gays I’ve met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I feel nobody really gives much though to Ohio. I am from SE Ohio and I usually get , "Cool, never been there. Long drive?" or "Oh, you sound like you're from further south"

I feel like Ohio is just one of those states people are neutral on.
As a Pennsylvanian I feel the same way. A lot of native Southerners gripe about the influx of Yankee transplants, but PA is often absent from the list of states they kvetch about. I don’t know if it’s because Pennsylvanians tend to have less of the “in your face” reputation our neighbors in NY and NJ have or what.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Ohioans seem to love TN and SC for some odd reason, they love to vacation on these states.
Yes. My Cincinnati friends now living here in PA went to the SC beaches growing up. Pittsburghers are literally obsessed with the Outer Banks of NC—so much so that Duck Donuts is now up here to capture those tourist dollars in the off-season. I see “OBX” front vanity license plates (since PA is a one-plate state) everywhere. When I would go to the OBX (Nags Head) with my ex’s family the beach was overrun with Steelers fans. Since Ohioans hate Pittsburgh I guess that’s why you left the OBX for us and took over SC instead.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,989,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As a Pennsylvanian I feel the same way. A lot of native Southerners gripe about the influx of Yankee transplants, but PA is often absent from the list of states they kvetch about. I don’t know if it’s because Pennsylvanians tend to have less of the “in your face” reputation our neighbors in NY and NJ have or what.
I think it's also because a huge chunk of the Northern transplants in the South are from those 2 states.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,361,101 times
Now people will say, “Oh that’s where Red Gerard is from.”

https://www.nbcolympics.com/video/me...pic-gold-medal

Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,244,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don’t know if it’s because Pennsylvanians tend to have less of the “in your face” reputation our neighbors in NY and NJ have or what.
That may have something to do with it. I also think people from NY and NJ simply stick out because of their accents and so they are simply a more obvious target.

A Pennsylvanian may simply sound like they are from somewhere else, but that NY/NJ accent not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but it is also attached to an 800 lb. gorilla of a stereotype.

Pennsylvanians have accents too, but to a Southerner they may not be as placeable and, as you said, PA doesn't have the "reputation" either.

And the same goes for Ohio.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,866,194 times
Most people usually say that is the state Lebron is from. I kid you not especially if they are sports fans, if they are young they usually say oh I am sorry.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,425,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most people usually say that is the state Lebron is from. I kid you not especially if they are sports fans, if they are young they usually say oh I am sorry.
The youngsters who say "Oh I am sorry" to are ignorant and only know about Ohio through the media and social media. Or, they're transplants from the Coasts.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,903,739 times
I don't have to tell anyone I'm from Ohio, I have my Ohio State Buckeye decal proudly displayed in my rear window. I can't go more than a week or two without someone rolling up shouting "O-H" with a big thumbs up. Lots of Ohioans here in L.A.. Probably moved here to escape the snow, just like me.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,425,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I don't have to tell anyone I'm from Ohio, I have my Ohio State Buckeye decal proudly displayed in my rear window. I can't go more than a week or two without someone rolling up shouting "O-H" with a big thumbs up. Lots of Ohioans here in L.A.. Probably moved here to escape the snow, just like me.
That's interesting. What do you fellow L.A. natives say if you have to tell them you're from Ohio? I know some of them make fun of Ohio. Which Ohio city are you from originally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio