Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A while back I did a forum about how does out of towners (sorry for the misspelling in the title) react when you tell people that you're from Cleveland. Now I wanna know how do people in other cities react when you tell them you're from anywhere in Ohio.
Consistently, regardless of state, it was one of two things:

- "I know so-and-so, and they're from [random Ohio city]," and vaguely anticipate I know them or their kin.

OR

- "I got a speeding ticket in Ohio."

The best reaction though was the chocolatier in Portsmouth, New Hampshire that was rendered speechless. He never explained himself. So, it's left up to my interpretation.

Man, I miss those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF575 View Post
Whenever I tell someone where I'm from they usually have a neutral reaction and some seem quite interested. I don't think many people have a negative perception of Ohio, except if they're from Michigan or think the grass is greener on the other side.
Yeah, it's not much of anything unless there's a high concentration of relocatees in the area (e.g. Florida, North Carolina, or Arizona). Usually, it's a laugh or a dig but a) I've got a sense of humor and b) I'm a guest in a more comfortable area. You're not a prophet in your hometown and you're a visitor elsewhere. Take the good with the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Moved to Tampa, Florida 4 years ago from Akron/Cleveland area. Everytime someone asks where i'm from and I tell them, they always seem to understand and don't blame me for leaving lol.
Remember you said that when the next Irma makes a direct hit. You got lucky in 2017 but, unfortunately for you and the taxpayers who are constantly forced to bail you out, it's only a matter of time.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Most people offer no opinion on Ohio but most people say it is a boring state if they do offer a comment. Really nobody in TN thinks about Ohio for a second unless they can get tourist money from them.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Nobody really seems to think anything either way here when they find out that someone is from Ohio. They might tease them about being a Browns fan or ask them about Cleveland--because the assumption here is that people from Ohio come from the Cleveland area.

When I was going to high school in Upstate NY, a few kids from Ohio moved to Syracuse with their families because their parents got job transfers in an automotive supplier in the area. We thought that their accents were cool-sounding and of course asked them if the lake really caught on fire. None of them knew because they had all been too young like us to remember and none of them were from Cleveland area anyhow--they all were from around Youngstown area. We mostly were interested in how Ohio was different than Upstate NY and of course made the assumption that they all must be farmers. Nothing really negative though. They had expected a bunch of obnoxious people when they heard 'New York'...

Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Nobody really seems to think anything either way here when they find out that someone is from Ohio. They might tease them about being a Browns fan or ask them about Cleveland--because the assumption here is that people from Ohio come from the Cleveland area.

When I was going to high school in Upstate NY, a few kids from Ohio moved to Syracuse with their families because their parents got job transfers in an automotive supplier in the area. We thought that their accents were cool-sounding and of course asked them if the lake really caught on fire. None of them knew because they had all been too young like us to remember and none of them were from Cleveland area anyhow--they all were from around Youngstown area. We mostly were interested in how Ohio was different than Upstate NY and of course made the assumption that they all must be farmers. Nothing really negative though. They had expected a bunch of obnoxious people when they heard 'New York'...
It was the Cuyahoga River not Lake Erie, and, yes, it happened but not just once. It actually happened many, many times. It was such a common occurrence that the 1969 fire that captured the nation's attention barely made the local news.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Every state has a reputation for one thing or another and that reputation can change as years go by. The stories behind the reputation and the reputation itself of long ago is mostly forgotten as time goes by. Unless of course it’s so good it becomes folklore which can actually add to the interest or color if the place.

Any place that doesn’t have one or two good stories to tell is boring. And who wants to live in a boring place?

Old 01-07-2018, 05:23 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Any place that doesn’t have one or two good stories to tell is boring. And who wants to live in a boring place?
Believe it or not there are some people out there that thrive on the status quo, steady life of a "boring" place. They don't like rocking the boat or having the boat rocked. They want zero surprises and to coast through life. I should know. They're in my family. Ha!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Believe it or not there are some people out there that thrive on the status quo, steady life of a "boring" place. They don't like rocking the boat or having the boat rocked. They want zero surprises and to coast through life. I should know. They're in my family. Ha!
Well, I guess you got me there.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
I've done a fair bit of traveling through Ohio, and I found much of it to be very nice. Of course some of the bigger cities have a strong "Rust Belt" feel, but rural Ohio, especially the southern half of the state, is beautiful.

Cincinnati is also a great city based on my experience.

Still too cold for this Southern boy though

Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most people offer no opinion on Ohio but most people say it is a boring state if they do offer a comment. Really nobody in TN thinks about Ohio for a second unless they can get tourist money from them.
You can safely assume the reverse about the opinions of most Ohioans and TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio