Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM

60 posts, read 59,806 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Shaker Heights (mistake) and am looking to move to the west side of Cleveland. Any cities west of Cleveland with a decent hispanic population? Lakewood? Rocky River? Avon? Avon Lake? Westlake? Bay Village? North Ridgeville? North Olmstead? Olmstead Falls? Anything west of CLE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Brooklyn and Parma would be your best western suburbs (by percent of population). Most of the Hispanics in the city of Cleveland live in Clark Fulton area and have fanned outward to south and west. The table link from US Census Factfinder tool - If it works will show the country of origin if that is of importance or curiosity to you.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...html?fpt=table

Most are Puerto Rican followed by Mexican. The Brooklyn Ridgewood shopping center near I-480 exit tends to be a a convenient shopping area and the local grocery store caters to them by carrying a higher percentage of Hispanic foods.

If distance isn't as much of issue there is larger (percentage wise) Hispanic population in Lorain county to the west of Cuyahoga county.

Lorain has largest by percentage but is very depressed area. North Ridgeville is closest to Cleveland (furthest east).

Last edited by ciceropolo; 03-19-2018 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Cleveland forum would be better.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Brooklyn and Parma would be your best western suburbs (by percent of population). Most of the Hispanics in the city of Cleveland live in Clark Fulton area and have fanned outward to south and west. The table link from US Census Factfinder tool - If it works will show the country of origin if that is of importance or curiosity to you.

Most are Puerto Rican followed by Mexican. The Brooklyn Ridgewood shopping center near I-480 exit tends to be a a convenient shopping area and the local grocery store caters to them by carrying a higher percentage of Hispanic foods.

If distance isn't as much of issue there is larger (percentage wise) Hispanic population in Lorain county to the west of Cuyahoga county.

Lorain has largest by percentage but is very depressed area. North Ridgeville is closest to Cleveland (furthest east).
One major thing is to be where the crime isn’t. I checked out Clark-Fulton and it’s red all over. What in your opinion would be a low crime area that has Hispanics, if any? If there isn’t any, what’s a nice place to live in general on the west side?
Attached Thumbnails
Hispanic population west of CLE-2e4c756f-a51e-4d85-8772-f8eeca7407de.jpeg  

Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,453,256 times
I went back through your past threads before you moved to the area. It will depend on what things you weigh of most importance i.e. Hispanic population, schools, crime....

In general the north west suburbs provide easiest access for your commute to downtown and you can look at the ratings of the local schools and the crime rates (and by type of crime) are likely lowest in places like Bay Village, Avon Lake, Rocky River and Westlake all of which will be in top percentiles for public schools.

There are so many other things to consider. You mention in past post wanting to be close to the Lake. This leads to premiums in housing costs . You may get better value living close to the Rocky River Metropark reservation and slightly further south of the lake. Plenty of trails and various types of park areas (picnic, playfield, nature center with classes for outdoor activites etc..).

Since you are already in the area I would suggest taking a drive on some weekends or off days (depending on what type of work you do) to explore some of the areas in this old comment.
Western suburbs relocation?

Hope this helps. Nobody will have as good of an answer to what neighborhood / suburb will be best for you until you do a little field surveying yourself and compare your normal life cycle (shopping, commute, interests, religious worship if any etc...) and what is of most importance to you.

Westlake south of Bay Village has a lower tax due to it having a good commercial tax base which could off set finances.
I would stay away from the big Malls like Great Northern in North Olmsted

Old 03-19-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I went back through your past threads before you moved to the area. It will depend on what things you weigh of most importance i.e. Hispanic population, schools, crime....

In general the north west suburbs provide easiest access for your commute to downtown and you can look at the ratings of the local schools and the crime rates (and by type of crime) are likely lowest in places like Bay Village, Avon Lake, Rocky River and Westlake all of which will be in top percentiles for public schools.

There are so many other things to consider. You mention in past post wanting to be close to the Lake. This leads to premiums in housing costs . You may get better value living close to the Rocky River Metropark reservation and slightly further south of the lake. Plenty of trails and various types of park areas (picnic, playfield, nature center with classes for outdoor activites etc..).

Since you are already in the area I would suggest taking a drive on some weekends or off days (depending on what type of work you do) to explore some of the areas in this old comment.
Western suburbs relocation?

Hope this helps. Nobody will have as good of an answer to what neighborhood / suburb will be best for you until you do a little field surveying yourself and compare your normal life cycle (shopping, commute, interests, religious worship if any etc...) and what is of most importance to you.

Westlake south of Bay Village has a lower tax due to it having a good commercial tax base which could off set finances.
I would stay away from the big Malls like Great Northern in North Olmsted
Thanks! I appreciate your input and time you took to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: