U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,247,588 times
Reputation: 619

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
I appreciate the comparison, but that is a 25% loss of a metro area. The city of Youngstown lost 60% of its population within city limits. That doesn't mean Boardman is bad, it means Youngstown is bad.
Youngstown has slowed down on the decline, you just want to point out its major declines in the 80s. Youngstown is showing a steady back-and-forth on population growth and decline. There is nothing wrong with the metro area, and it is not number one percentage wise or raw number wise. You are just looking at the major metro areas. Many other ones including Scranton have shown steep declines, and New Orleans was declining well before Katrina. Its called evacuation. People are moving back into the city from say Houston and Baton Rouge. It was expected you know. Also, interesting fact on New Orleans, 1 in 25 people there are homeless. Startling statistics.

Youngstown could be a smaller Pittsburgh. Both steel giants back in the day, finding new ways to diversify themselves. Youngstown has some great suburbs, and wether you see it or not, the city is changing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Camelot
353 posts, read 1,598,543 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Youngstown has slowed down on the decline, you just want to point out its major declines in the 80s. Youngstown is showing a steady back-and-forth on population growth and decline. There is nothing wrong with the metro area, and it is not number one percentage wise or raw number wise. You are just looking at the major metro areas. Many other ones including Scranton have shown steep declines, and New Orleans was declining well before Katrina. Its called evacuation. People are moving back into the city from say Houston and Baton Rouge. It was expected you know. Also, interesting fact on New Orleans, 1 in 25 people there are homeless. Startling statistics.

Youngstown could be a smaller Pittsburgh. Both steel giants back in the day, finding new ways to diversify themselves. Youngstown has some great suburbs, and wether you see it or not, the city is changing.
As one of my *good* friends says, I wouldn't state your opinions as facts. I'm not sure where you get your "facts", being questionable at best and I am not going to beat a horse to death. But I didn't make the claims about the area's population loss being worst in the country, the Warren Tribune Chronicle did. And they were not talking about the decline in the eighties. They were talking about last year.

<sigh> just another day clarifying the truth on the forums. It's a hard job but someone has to do it. The world benefits just because I show up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Cortland, Ohio
3,338 posts, read 9,933,886 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
As one of my *good* friends says, I wouldn't state your opinions as facts. I'm not sure where you get your "facts", being questionable at best and I am not going to beat a horse to death. But I didn't make the claims about the area's population loss being worst in the country, the Warren Tribune Chronicle did. And they were not talking about the decline in the eighties. They were talking about last year.

<sigh> just another day clarifying the truth on the forums. It's a hard job but someone has to do it. The world benefits just because I show up.
I'm not going to dispute whether those numbers are right or not. I do know that the Tribune has a repuation for getting their facts wrong sometimes. Most people who live in the Valley think the Trib is a second-class newspaper compared to the Vindy. So, i'm just sayin'...............
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,247,588 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
As one of my *good* friends says, I wouldn't state your opinions as facts. I'm not sure where you get your "facts", being questionable at best and I am not going to beat a horse to death. But I didn't make the claims about the area's population loss being worst in the country, the Warren Tribune Chronicle did. And they were not talking about the decline in the eighties. They were talking about last year.

<sigh> just another day clarifying the truth on the forums. It's a hard job but someone has to do it. The world benefits just because I show up.
Not a problem at all, but do you consider yourself doing the job? LOL cause it ain't working. Check out the census bureau, because it gives you some 200 metro areas in order of population, and gives you the percentage growth as well. And if you would read my post correctly, I also talked about the city itself growing too. Also, please post that article from the Warren Tribune, would love to read it. BTW, how have you been lately?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Camelot
353 posts, read 1,598,543 times
Reputation: 244
I am fine, thank you. How about you?

Here is the link again. I can not copy and paste the article, as that is copyright infringement.

Valley population loss leads nation | Tribune Chronicle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,247,588 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
I am fine, thank you. How about you?

Here is the link again. I can not copy and paste the article, as that is copyright infringement.

Valley population loss leads nation | Tribune Chronicle
Thank you. I am great, just got back from a vacation along the Eastern Coast. Was great, met a lot of great people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,480 times
Reputation: 10
Default So how was Austintown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Where do I begin?

First off, you can call my opinions and stated facts "overly negative"; I call them truthful and accurate. As far as why the area gets a bad rap you are wrong. The city's reputation is not bad because of realists like me who call it like they see it. It is bad because the city sucks. Period. Enough people agree with me.

This discussion is about Youngstown not about me. The OP asked specific questions and I gave specific replies. Discount them as overly negative if you want, I don't care. If you must know I recently moved to Denver after 25 years of living in Austintown, Youngstown (north side) and Warren. But, this is not about me.

If people are considering Youngstown as a potential home, they have a right to know what they are potentially getting into. There are a lot of *serious* problems there that some of you refuse to acknowledge. You can give "well balanced" reports, and I will give truthful facts and my opinion. If I can save one person from making this kind of mistake, my job is successful.
I appreciate your honesty. We have two children and were thinking about moving to Austintown, OH but don't know much about crime, the area, the diversity, the schools, etc. You lived there for 25 years...why did you eventually move and do you think this area is a good place to live? I am aware of the attitude of the $7 and $8 mentality because a few of my close friends are from the Sharon area, but is Austintown, OH a good choice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
 
9 posts, read 21,862 times
Reputation: 21
Default Austintown, OH

You will be fine in Austintown. It's a nice area with a good school system. I grew up in Austintown and enjoy my time there. I moved to Canfield and It's also a wounderful place to live. Austintown has seen a lot of growth with stores and resturants. Mahoning Avenue is looking better everyday. Yes, Youngstown has problems, but they are trying to improve the image. The area's biggest problem is negitive [SIZE=3]Attitudes [/SIZE]towards the Ytown. This forum proves a point. If you can make it past all of the negitive residents, you'll love it here. WE NEED THESE PEOPLE TO GET OVER IT OR MOVE OUT. I have lived in Youngstown all of my life (27years) and I'm still here! I recently bought a house on the south side(I KNOW) and I love it. Yes, it's tough to find a job in this area but they are around. I was recently hired around $60,000 (MEDICAL FIELD) right here in Youngstown. There are more jobs in the Medical, education, goverment field then you would think.....just have to know where to look. Right now they are fixing up west federal street the main drage in downtown Youngstown. Here are some more sites to check out: Shout Youngstown - i will shout youngstown, 44503 LIVE,
Mayor Jay Williams
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Camelot
353 posts, read 1,598,543 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Me View Post
I appreciate your honesty. We have two children and were thinking about moving to Austintown, OH but don't know much about crime, the area, the diversity, the schools, etc. You lived there for 25 years...why did you eventually move and do you think this area is a good place to live? I am aware of the attitude of the $7 and $8 mentality because a few of my close friends are from the Sharon area, but is Austintown, OH a good choice?
I moved away from the area because the economy is in bad shape. There are few opportunities is various job markets. If you have a good job, and you really want to live in Ohio, Austintown is nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,247,588 times
Reputation: 619
Austintown just got done building a new highschool, and is on the verge of building a new middleschool. The city has a nice park, and is close to some other nice suburbs such as Canfield, Columbiana and Poland, and much larger Boardman. Austintown is also close to the large Berlin Lake, an attractive area in the summer for boating and just being outdoors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 AM.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top