Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

U.S. News & World Report has released its 2019 national university rankings.

Miami of Ohio was 3rd in the undergraduate teaching rankings, the highest ranking of any Ohio university on the U.S. News & World Report lists.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...duate-teaching

No other Ohio university made this 50-school list. Most other universities on the undergraduate teaching list also rank very highly in the overall national university rankings, but Miami ranks only 96 in those rankings. Here's the methodology for the undergraduate teaching rankings; unlike the national rankings, this undergraduate teaching ranking apparently is based solely on peer rankings.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ng-methodology

In the overall national university rankings, Case Western at 42 was the highest ranked in Ohio. This is a fall from its ranking in the 30s in prior years. Ohio State was ranked 56, Miami 96, Dayton 127, Cincinnati 147, Ohio University 171, Kent State 191, and Bowling Green 215.

My impression is that Ohio state universities, with the exception of Ohio State, are falling in the rankings, likely as a result to some extent by inflation-adjusted budget cuts under the Kasich administration.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

Case Western also is ranked 42 on the "best value" list. Dayton is ranked 53, Ohio State 126, Cincinnati 130, and Miami 142. Here's the best value methodology.

<<The ratio of quality to price accounted for 60 percent of the overall score; the percentage of all undergraduates receiving need-based grants accounted for 25 percent; and the average discount accounted for 15 percent.>>

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ls-methodology

Ohio state universities likely suffer from high tuition levels resulting from lower levels of state support compared to public universities in higher ranked states in the value listings.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-10-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 PM

233 posts, read 412,902 times
Miami is absolutely wonderful and has long been recognized as Ohio’s public Ivy. A significant portion of the student body is from out of state. In state and out of state students programs flock to Miami for pre professional programs and other great programs.
Tuition rates are hard to evaluate because of in state discounting and various financial aid packages. Miami pricing will be on the high end of Ohio public schools. But speaking as a parent, the money spent is well worth it.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Thrilled to see that ranking here on C-D, thanks WRnative. Not surprised though.
Proud Miami grad here, and an education major to boot. It's been 25 years, but my time learning the high school teaching craft at MU was awesome. Tough methods teachers, hard-but-fair student teaching advisors, and a program from top down that was just fantastic.
Reminded me of An Officer And A Gentleman, complete with tough drill sergeant and unbelievable rigor and expectations, with ill-prepared slacker undergrads dropping the program like flies. Professors trying to push you to the limit until you realized what an important calling teaching was.
Tardy for social studies methods class once? VERY firm warning. Tardy for class twice? Signed drop slip and you should quit the program, because you'd never get hired as a teacher with that drop. They don't play around, nor should they.

I remember, and will remember till my dying day, the quotes from profs, the work, the six months of sample lesson plans to be turned in with a binder. And the student teaching assignments that threw you out of your comfort zone. Grew up in corn-fed Iowa? Then it'll be an inner-city Cincinnati high school for you. City kid? Welcome to 5 months of driving to a rural school in Darke County, and if you don't have a car (as many at Miami didn't), you and three others can be taken from snowy Oxford before 6 am in January in a van, every day, but that's your assignment and you're stuck with it. I also remember how much better prepared for teaching in high school I was when compared with so many of my fellow applicants from other colleges.

And just the other day, I remember telling some of my colleagues (younger) at lunch about the signed drop slip for a tardy. They didn't get it. Which is why they're often tardy for work and dress for work like they just cleaned their garage.
And that Miami name on a teacher's resume? Like gold. It carries some serious weight. Heard it did, and then when I'd get the oohs and ahhhs at interviews when I said I went to Miami, I knew it.
But man, did I have to earn it.
The way it should be.
Glad to see MU is still, after all these years, on top of their game with that program.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-21-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 PM

233 posts, read 412,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Thrilled to see that ranking here on C-D, thanks WRnative. Not surprised though.
Proud Miami grad here, and an education major to boot. It's been 25 years, but my time learning the high school teaching craft at MU was awesome. Tough methods teachers, hard-but-fair student teaching advisors, and a program from top down that was just fantastic.
Reminded me of An Officer And A Gentleman, complete with tough drill sergeant and unbelievable rigor and expectations, with ill-prepared slacker undergrads dropping the program like flies. Professors trying to push you to the limit until you realized what an important calling teaching was.
Tardy for social studies methods class once? VERY firm warning. Tardy for class twice? Signed drop slip and you should quit the program, because you'd never get hired as a teacher with that drop. They don't play around, nor should they.

I remember, and will remember till my dying day, the quotes from profs, the work, the six months of sample lesson plans to be turned in with a binder. And the student teaching assignments that threw you out of your comfort zone. Grew up in corn-fed Iowa? Then it'll be an inner-city Cincinnati high school for you. City kid? Welcome to 5 months of driving to a rural school in Darke County, and if you don't have a car (as many at Miami didn't), you and three others can be taken from snowy Oxford before 6 am in January in a van, every day, but that's your assignment and you're stuck with it. I also remember how much better prepared for teaching in high school I was when compared with so many of my fellow applicants from other colleges.

And just the other day, I remember telling some of my colleagues (younger) at lunch about the signed drop slip for a tardy. They didn't get it. Which is why they're often tardy for work and dress for work like they just cleaned their garage.
And that Miami name on a teacher's resume? Like gold. It carries some serious weight. Heard it did, and then when I'd get the oohs and ahhhs at interviews when I said I went to Miami, I knew it.
But man, did I have to earn it.
The way it should be.
Glad to see MU is still, after all these years, on top of their game with that program.
What a lovely post! You should submit this to the Miami alumni magazine.
Miami also attracts many fine preprofessional students. Miami credentials give them quite an edge when they apply for Med school, law school, etc. And they are well prepared to do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio