Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM

140 posts, read 604,590 times

Advertisements

Smoking in restaurants -- you agree on a public ban? Restaurants may be for any person to enjoy, but it IS a private business. Why not just go to a different restaurant? Keep taking all our freedoms away, and the next one will be something you enjoy -- could be anything, even as simple as wearing a certain color. It is absolutely impossible to please billions of people and insist that they think the same way you do. For instance, perfumes today are poison to all -- those wearing it and those who must breathe it in when in the vicinity of someone drowning in it. I don't like hamburgers so perhaps a ban on them would be fine. Smoking is legal, let's leave it legal. Years ago, when anyone in a restaurant wanted to smoke, they would simply ask the person next to them whether they would mind. You see, it is simply a matter of respect. I have never encountered anyone who smoked that was so disrespectful to ignore another's wishes, whether because children were present, or they simply did not like smoke. What I do see today are a bunch of dimwitted and tabloid-brainwashed people more selfish than ever were smokers now or in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM

A good idea would be to refrain from asking Big Daddy government to make your choices for you. Freedom of choice is just that. The freedom to chose where you want to eat. A restaurant is a private business and should not be subjected to the whims of government or the stupidity of mass hysteria. If people keep asking the government to make its choices, it will do that, and one day it might even tell you where to eat and what to eat...and what to wear!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,853,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
A good idea would be to refrain from asking Big Daddy government to make your choices for you. Freedom of choice is just that. The freedom to chose where you want to eat. A restaurant is a private business and should not be subjected to the whims of government or the stupidity of mass hysteria.
Very well said! And also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
If people keep asking the government to make its choices, it will do that, and one day it might even tell you where to eat and what to eat...and what to wear!
They're already trying! Witness the demand by "consumer groups" for more package-labelling on food. There are leeching lawyers lining up to take on "Big Cola" and "Big Fast Food" in lawsuits over obesity. Petty local politicians make a show of banning trans-fats in their jurisdictions...ALL examples of government do-gooders attempting to control more behavior, and take away more freedom.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,926 times
Default smoking

Hello

Hurray, I'm so glad about this latest smoking ban.
It compares with Hawaii, lovely news!
Since the ban has been put into effect on Hawaii it means that I can vacation there without having to pre-book a room.
Now I just turn up and take my pick of any of the hundreds and hundreds of empty, lovely, sweet smelling non-smoking rooms I choose. In the past Hawaii used to be crammed full to bursting point with hoards of nasty, smelly tourists, but not any more.
Thing have changed for the better, the majority of tourists who used to visit Hawaii have changed destinations and are going to places like the Bahamas, where they can smoke as much as they like.
This island nation is obviously a very backward one, can you imagine this?
Who in their right mind wants to pay to stay in a place where they are allowed to do whatever they feel like doing?
I say good riddance, glad to be rid of them, after all, we don't need them spending their dollars here if they are going to smoke those nasty cigarettes...... do we?

Another thing that makes me really mad is the fact that some people are actually trying to promote hotels who give their guests a choice between smoking and non-smoking rooms, this is a website where hotel owners can actually advertize to attract some of the 46 million people in the US who smoke cigarettes, see http://www.smokingwelcome.com
I think this is wrong and should be stopped, the government should ban any form of choice and freedom whatsoever, and effect total control over what used to be known as "personal freedoms".

Roy (the blatant advertizer....... tongue placed firmly in-cheek)

Old 04-28-2007, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 12,955 times
I smoke and frankly I don't care either way. In fact, I went to a bar/restaurant a few weeks ago, and I had to admit it didn't smell. I understand non-smokers (having stopped smoking in my early 30's for 17 years - don't even ask why I started again) - it is annoying at least and unhealthful at worst. But, I do find comments like Cosmic's to be a little over the top (especially the airlines - you haven't been able to smoke on airplanes for years).

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1429 View Post
I smoke and frankly I don't care either way. In fact, I went to a bar/restaurant a few weeks ago, and I had to admit it didn't smell. I understand non-smokers (having stopped smoking in my early 30's for 17 years - don't even ask why I started again) - it is annoying at least and unhealthful at worst. But, I do find comments like Cosmic's to be a little over the top (especially the airlines - you haven't been able to smoke on airplanes for years).

Cosmic's comments "a little over the top"? Definitely an understatement! Roynassau's is a joke! Complain, complain, complain -- always about something, anything, just to have something to complain about. I think the government should ban ANYTHING that is odorous, including the sweat of these two clowns!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Very well said! And also...

They're already trying! Witness the demand by "consumer groups" for more package-labelling on food. There are leeching lawyers lining up to take on "Big Cola" and "Big Fast Food" in lawsuits over obesity. Petty local politicians make a show of banning trans-fats in their jurisdictions...ALL examples of government do-gooders attempting to control more behavior, and take away more freedom.

Hey LancasterNative have you read 'roynassau?" A joke? No one could be that ignorant, or could they?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Smoking in a confined space is a physical assault on other people's lungs.

I'm baffled by the idea that assault should be at the discretion of the business owner. Does simply putting out signs "Assault permitted" or "Assault free" make it OK?

I understand the concerns about the "nanny state", but no state should permit assault. It is one fo the legitimate functions of government to legislate against such things.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside View Post
Smoking in a confined space is a physical assault on other people's lungs.

I'm baffled by the idea that assault should be at the discretion of the business owner. Does simply putting out signs "Assault permitted" or "Assault free" make it OK?

I understand the concerns about the "nanny state", but no state should permit assault. It is one fo the legitimate functions of government to legislate against such things.

Farside, please stay on the far side -- if that is not the most ridiculous, twisted, convoluted phychobabble play on words, particularly the word "assault." Get a life. Live and let live. Let's be free and give back ownership of business to the business owners and not the "government" of unholy ones. They are not Gods, as so many of you seem to think they are. Take away some rights of others and soon yours will be taken away, too. If you don't like the place you are in, simply go somewhere else. It is as simple as that! Words, words and more words, to say less and less.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
I cannot use public outdoor pool in my community because of smoke inside fenced pool area,I have been told by manager that they could be sued if they banned smoking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: