U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 AM

2,837 posts, read 1,789,120 times
Default Thoughts on Grafton?

Hello, All.

I am planning to apply for a job in Grafton. I'm not very familar with your state but I like its rich history and the parts I've seen while driving through it looked very nice.

I've done a little research on Grafton but would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the town from people who know it or currently live there.

I have 2 daughters who are 8 and 9, so I'm interested in hearing about the schools and activities for them.

Also, I noticed the City Data page for Grafton doesn't seem to have crime stats. Is is a safe enough place? I have lived in many areas of the USA, and gone from tiny, rural communities to huge cities. I'm curious if its proximity to Cleveland might make it an area that has some spillover crime or things like meth problems, etc.

We are a pretty quiet family...love the outdoors and decent places to eat and shop, but we aren't very fancy or into major night life or anything.

Just looking for a good job, good community, good place to settle the family.

Thanks--I appreciate any info, advice, suggestions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM

286 posts, read 1,130,605 times
Default Welcome to the area!

Well, I've been living on the outskirts of Grafton for a few months now.

This is what I know...
  • State prison, county jail, and work camp all just outside of the town.
  • Quiet, rural area with a lot of farmers and/or small communities of people living the quiet, rural life.
  • Within a very close proximity to shopping (Big Lots, Walmart, Great Northern Mall /North Olmstead, etc, Strongsville has a mall / shopping, 12 miles east, Elyria 12miles NW with a mall a lots of stores along 57 & River)
  • Flat -- if we get a lot of rain, there is a lot of standing water. No real flood areas, just big puddles of water that can engulf entire yards.
  • I personally can't stand the water, but could be the particular water table my place draws from. We have to filter it.
  • Very easy commute to Cleveland - I make it to downtown in about 35mins for work every day. Excellent highway access (480 / 80 / rt10 / rt57)
  • Land/real estate is fairly cheap, as are taxes.
  • I do not know much about the schools as I have no kids, but most of Ohio's smaller communities have excellent schools.
  • Very small town with some mom n pop kind of places. There is no "night life" here - the local grocery closes at 8pm or earlier, and the town doesn't have much going on.
  • Cable/HS net choices limited in most of Grafton; Grafton Cable has most of the area, a very small portion are with Time Warner. A lot of the neighbors have satellite.

Not really much more to say.. there isn't much to Grafton at all. I will be moving out of the area for May 1 for a job transfer, but overall it hasn't been a bad experience. We leave our car doors unlocked, sometimes the house door as well. Most of the neighbors keep to themselves, but are friendly. Have not heard of any drug problems in the area at all, but I haven't been here long either. Regular police/sheriff traffic because of the facilities (which may help prevent drug issues?). Moderate class living, no one extremely rich or extremely poor. We are in Lorain Co, so you would have to get your vehicle(s) emission checked in order to register. I think, if I could have done it differently, I would have located myself in either Olmstead Falls, Strongsville or N.Royalton mostly because those areas are extremely scenic, have better access to the Metroparks (google search Cleveland Metroparks), and are still very closely located to Grafton/Elyria/Cleveland areas with very easy accessibility. But, overall, Grafton is an alright place to live. Can't really think of much else... feel free to ask any questions!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,634 times
Very small town! I would live there! Schools are GOOD... elementary schools are all new!! The worst part is Wilks Villa attends the same schools.... and so small things tend to get personal within town!! I have family who lives and works in Grafton!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,895,163 times
Wilkes Villa is seriously in the Midview school district? I didn't know that and I'm moderately shocked and intrigued.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,759,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Wilkes Villa is seriously in the Midview school district? I didn't know that and I'm moderately shocked and intrigued.
Not to get off subject, but your user name is great! LOL way to support the Cleveland teams.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,789,120 times
Thanks to all who responded. It certainly sounds livable.

I received confirmation that my resume and other materials were received, but it will take some time for the selection process and I do not know how deep the competition is for the position.

Wish me luck!

(potential future Buckeye...)

Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,759,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Thanks to all who responded. It certainly sounds livable.

I received confirmation that my resume and other materials were received, but it will take some time for the selection process and I do not know how deep the competition is for the position.

Wish me luck!

(potential future Buckeye...)
Hope everything works out for you. And if the move is a go, best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio