Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm0110 View Post
Dayton: you'd be on I-75 basically, a huge trucking route, with I-70 also nearby. It's growing (to meet Cincinnati), and will offer more seasonal weather for the bike. I might also recommend Wilmington as there are a few distros along I-71 there, not to mention DHL's airline.
Isn't Wilmington the HQ's for R+L?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM

10 posts, read 8,090 times
thank you everyone, Dayton seems like the place to be. All of your input has been great.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace2 View Post
thank you everyone, Dayton seems like the place to be. All of your input has been great.
Glad we could help!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Paddington, it's my impression that Toledo is dying a slow death, why would FED and UPS have major operations there? Perhaps this is just the impression given out bythe rust belt theorist. They make it seem like if you're not in the West or in the South,you're dying out.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Dayton will always sit near and dear to my heart since its where I grew up. Specifically Beavercreek, which continues to grow. If you want to be near the countryside and live in a reasonablly priced town near Dayton, I'd recommend Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Kettering, or Miamisburg. There are also some good northern suburbs that are growing in Huber Heights, Tipp City, Vandalia, and Clayton. As an earlier poster said, Dayton is much more sprawled out then say Toledo. I don't know much about Akron other then what you probably already know. The few times I've been in Toledo it seems smaller and older then Dayton but areas like Perrysburg and Maumee are seeing some new construction.

Again, Dayton would probably better in the job department because of the air force base. There are some distribution centers around the area for Elder-Beerman, GM, and some base work.
I suppose it doesn't matter about Toledo since it's not a place I'm considering anyways. I like what Wright said about Dayton. Any placethat is near and dear to one's heart must have something special about it.The more one reads about a place, the more confusing it becomes.It is unwise to pick a place based on words. You can be quickly discouragedby someone's words, or you can be made to think it's the greatest placethis side of the Mississippi. So I will have to visit Dayton first, get my own impressions of it.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM

22 posts, read 92,678 times
Welcome to Ohio!

I'm in Dayton. It's experiencing changes. Some growth, like others have said, due to the air force base. Dayton is extremely convenient- the convergence of I-70 and I-75. If you go north, you are in agricultural land w/ long expanses of country roads and picturesque small towns. We have vibrant entertainment downtown, just in case you get a hankerin', and we have an extensive park district- plenty of green spaces, and we have 5 rivers in the Dayton area, so there are opportunities for fishing and kayaking, boating and tubing.

Huber Heights has just okayed the expansion of the Fed-Ex location on Executive Blvd, just north of I-70. Plenty of OTR drivers live in the Dayton area. Housing is affordable, and driving distances to shopping are quite reasonable. You can reach the newest shopping malls in 20 minutes in one direction and get lost among the cornfields in 20 minutes in the other direction.

The weather in Dayton is relatively moderate: No real extremes, but it is green, so prepare for humidity all year round. Makes the cold damp and the heat muggy.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,926 times
if you deadset on one of those 3 cities, I'd go with Dayton.

Toledo: NO WAY.
Akron: maybe.
Dayton: The line between Cincy and Dayton continues to be blurred. The same can be said for Dayton/Cleveland, but I'd still go with the greater Dayton area because of 1) the Fortune 500 companies in the southern Ohio area 2) the affordability 3) the traffic is a lot less than in the greater Cleveland area.

Please don't choose Toledo. You'll be sorry.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 AM

4 posts, read 11,986 times
research on canton i love the place especially downtown u can find some really awesome century homes for 500 a month and u can rent to buy at a lot of em id say the citys growing and the areas much larger than akron if u ask me and ive been all over both they got the football hall of fame and a hole hell of a lot of stuff to do id say with the area growing its been gettin gradually a ruffer place to live man but i never had too many problems u just gotta be a good judge of character id deffinitley say if i moved again id go right back to where im from which is canton

Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 13,893 times
Dayton. I haven't had much experience in many other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio