Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:43 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,345,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Just one point of contention-Cedar point is in Sandusky. It’s not within any major metro.
If you had to "give it" to a 3-C though, undoubtedly it's much more Cleveland-related. Ever been to Sandusky or Put-in-Bay or Catawba island during the summer? Hard to not run into Clevelanders on every corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:45 PM
on3

492 posts, read 373,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If you had to "give it" to a 3-C though, undoubtedly it's much more Cleveland-related. Ever been to Sandusky or Put-in-Bay or Catawba island during the summer? Hard to not run into Clevelanders on every corner.
Hard to not run into someone from Toledo in every corner you mean. I probably shouldn’t have included it under Cleveland.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Hard to not run into someone from Toledo in every corner you mean. I probably shouldn’t have included it under Cleveland.
well yeah but I also mean Cleveland (it's just a much bigger city than Toledo). If you're referencing the 3-C's then unquestionably Sandusky is much more Cleveland than Columbus or Cincinnati.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM

6,598 posts, read 8,928,235 times
I think Toledo is enough of a counterbalance that Sandusky and the islands are in neutral territory. Even Detroit and Columbus are close enough to play a role in diluting the Cleveland influence.

It's a bit like giving Columbus the Hocking Hills. Or giving Akron/Canton Amish country.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I think Toledo is enough of a counterbalance that Sandusky and the islands are in neutral territory. Even Detroit and Columbus are close enough to play a role in diluting the Cleveland influence.

It's a bit like giving Columbus the Hocking Hills. Or giving Akron/Canton Amish country.

I would absolutely give Columbus Hocking Hills. It's certainly most frequented by Columbus residents vs the other major Ohio cities.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM

148 posts, read 456,085 times
Toledoan here, and I rarely visit any other Ohio metro, maybe CLE and COL once or twice annually, almost never CIN/DAY or Akron, Youngstown. We are so much closer to Detroit and Ann Arbor, and only 4 hours from Chicago (with regular trains, buses, and flights). Most Toledoans I know have family ties to Cleveland, and many young Toledoans move to Columbus, at least for a few years, rather than move to Detroit or Chicago. That's in keeping with most migration patterns these days, I think.

The Lake Erie Islands are also within Toledo's orbit - they are covered in all the local press, and Toledo also will lay some claim to Cedar Point, it's an easier drive for most Toledoans than it is for metro Clevelanders.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,969,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

The Hocking Hills are about an hour from Columbus and within the metro area. Kind of hard not to give them to Columbus.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,969,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Toledoan here, and I rarely visit any other Ohio metro, maybe CLE and COL once or twice annually, almost never CIN/DAY or Akron, Youngstown. We are so much closer to Detroit and Ann Arbor, and only 4 hours from Chicago (with regular trains, buses, and flights). Most Toledoans I know have family ties to Cleveland, and many young Toledoans move to Columbus, at least for a few years, rather than move to Detroit or Chicago. That's in keeping with most migration patterns these days, I think.

The Lake Erie Islands are also within Toledo's orbit - they are covered in all the local press, and Toledo also will lay some claim to Cedar Point, it's an easier drive for most Toledoans than it is for metro Clevelanders.
Yeah, I would give Cedar Point more to Toledo, if anywhere. It's closer to them. Poor Sandusky, though. Take that away and they have nothing except a Chris Farley movie that wasn't even filmed there.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:22 AM

6,598 posts, read 8,928,235 times
Quote:
The Hocking Hills are about an hour from Columbus and within the metro area. Kind of hard not to give them to Columbus.
I will concede that there's a strong argument for that. I actually didn't realize that Hocking county is in the Columbus MSA. I've only done the Hocking Hills to Columbus drive once, and I didn't "feel" like I was in the Columbus metro until getting to Lancaster.

The point I was trying to make is that a lot of these attractions are better categorized as neutral "Ohio" territory rather than trying to slice it all up for the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I would give Cedar Point more to Toledo, if anywhere. It's closer to them. Poor Sandusky, though. Take that away and they have nothing except a Chris Farley movie that wasn't even filmed there.
I really do think it is it's own thing, neither Cleveland nor Toledo, but if I HAD to choose, I'd err on the side of Toledo. It's pretty consistently around 1 hour from Toledo to the ferries and Sandusky, but from the East Side of Cleveland it starts getting up to 1.5 hours.

I would place Port Clinton in Toledo's camp, though.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Any reasonable person would say practically equidistant. But Cleveland is just a much larger city, it has more "gravity" in the area.

Downtown Toledo to Cedar Point
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tole...41.4807905!3e0

Downtown Cleveland to Cedar Point
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Clev...41.4807905!3e0

Now what's your position on Grandpa's Cheese Barn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio