Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 22,216 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

My family and I will be residing in the neighborhood close to Interstate 80, across from Churchill Park. I have never lived up North, so any advice about the area as well as the cold weather [I heard the North cold hits different lol] would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you!

Sincerely,
New to the North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 07:43 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
I got a bunch of LL Bean stuff for winter, keeps me really warm. Honestly I don't mind going out in the cold, if I'm dressed correctly with some decent stuff.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,127 times
Get a good snow shovel or two. Not the largest you can find, because more snow=heavier lift. Get a bag of salt/calcium chloride to have ready, too, for the walkways and any exterior stairs and front/back stoop. Have good all season or winter tires, and practice mindfulness while driving in icy conditions. Winter driving is easy, you just need to understand that you cannot turn a car on ice when it is going fast, and you can't slow a car down very quickly on icy roads either. You don't have to drive ungodly slow in bad weather, but any type of cornering or curved roadway driving requires your full presence and relative understanding of the physics of driving a heavy metal box that is only attached to the roads via 1-2 square feet of rubber. Also, I'd recommend never getting studded tires for the winter. A good set of winter tires on the front end or all four all-season tires will do you fine for most urban/suburban applications. If you go the winter tire route, have them put on mid-late November, though you'll probably want to buy them prior to the cold season. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Thank you for responding! Do you happen to know the area where I'll be living in? I'm hoping to get a feel for the people and overall environment. Thanks, again!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I got a bunch of LL Bean stuff for winter, keeps me really warm. Honestly I don't mind going out in the cold, if I'm dressed correctly with some decent stuff.
Thank you! I'll look up that brand for sure.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Business365tlc View Post
Thank you for responding! Do you happen to know the area where I'll be living in? I'm hoping to get a feel for the people and overall environment. Thanks, again!
I know nothing about Youngstown area, unfortunately. I live and work in/near Cleveland. If it's hillier there, learning to drive in winter can be a slight bit more challenging -- best advice is to maintain even acceleration (not just speed) up hills, when possible, until you've crested the top. Also regarding apparel, I have a half mile walk from parking to my work, and I've found that the best winter combination, for the really cold weather, is a good knit cap that doubles over my ears, a hoodie, and a puffer jacket (which surprised me last year just how warm those can be). Add in a set of gloves and tall socks, and you'll be able to endure just about any winter weather as long as you're moving about.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
Also, make sure your car has antifreeze, and get an oil change before Thanksgiving. Many southern cars either have no antifreeze or don't have the appropriate level of it, and they use a different blend of oil that does better in colder temperatures here in the north.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
It looks like you'll be in the Girard/Liberty Twp area. It's a great area for commuting, especially out of the area. Definitely try Handel's Ice Cream, which is nearby. I'm not sure if that area is Girard or Liberty Twp Schools. Girard is definitely preferable. Liberty used to be a more wealthy suburb of Youngstown with a lot of Jewish people. Lots of neat homes there, but the taxes are some of the highest in Trumbull County.

I'm curious what caused you to pick this location. Did you buy a home or are you renting?

Definitely not a bad area, but there are much nicer areas in the Mahoning Valley to live. It's definitely middle of the road, not bad.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Also, make sure your car has antifreeze, and get an oil change before Thanksgiving. Many southern cars either have no antifreeze or don't have the appropriate level of it, and they use a different blend of oil that does better in colder temperatures here in the north.
Thank you so much!

Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
It looks like you'll be in the Girard/Liberty Twp area. It's a great area for commuting, especially out of the area. Definitely try Handel's Ice Cream, which is nearby. I'm not sure if that area is Girard or Liberty Twp Schools. Girard is definitely preferable. Liberty used to be a more wealthy suburb of Youngstown with a lot of Jewish people. Lots of neat homes there, but the taxes are some of the highest in Trumbull County.

I'm curious what caused you to pick this location. Did you buy a home or are you renting?

Definitely not a bad area, but there are much nicer areas in the Mahoning Valley to live. It's definitely middle of the road, not bad.
I have been waiting to hear from you! I've read your previous posts and whatnot. Anywho, my husband and I settled on this location because the housing in New Castle - which is where my husband will be stationed - does not look very appealing whatsoever, and we have five children to tend to and care for The houses in that area mostly have one bathroom only and do not accept large dogs and even though the rent is dirt cheap, I won't compromise a safe area/neighborhood for half the rent we are used to paying.

We found houses that fit our needs in Girard and Youngstown, and ultimately found a great home in Youngstown! The commute time won't be bad at all, and we'll be right next to the interstate so travel won't be so bad, either.

Thank you so much for responding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio