U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,574,023 times
Ok, seriously that's enough. Back on topic. Anyone move to the area other than 000000 spending some time here...............i think we all know his opinion. Anyone else?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM

496 posts, read 857,496 times
nope, but this is because way more people are leaving then coming in.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

69 posts, read 128,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
nope, but this is because way more people are leaving then coming in.
Well, I guess that may make me an exception...

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here from taking the time to share their opinion, good, bad, and otherwise. After reading just about everything I can find here, my family and I have pretty much made the decision to pick up stakes and move to Youngstown.

From what I can gather, Youngstown West, the southern section (ie, Boardman, Beaver, and Poland, with Canfeild seemingly out of our price range.) and north of the city (Niles, Girard and possibly select areas of Warren) would be the best for a married couple with a teenage son and a toddler.

Having read through the City-Data site, the Youngstown schools look like they might be problematic but one of our children is about to graduate and the other won't be starting school for several years.

Okay, a few questions, for those of you that can help...

Where do the safer neighborhoods begin as being defined as Youngstown West? We have seen several homes listed just west of Glenwood Ave and from Google earth everything looks great - but that's not all that reassuring.

After talking to several Real Estate brokers, I am getting real mixed messages about Austintown, what's everyone's opinion?

Thanks again folks, and with your help there is a very good chance that we will be some of your newest neighbors reasonably soon.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 4,044,598 times
Hi Ken,

Here's a map of the city of Youngstown outlining the neighborhoods:

http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighb...boundaries.gif

I happen to live in the "Garden District" neighborhood, and like it.

Here's another map showing the city-wide "planning districts":

http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighb..._districts.gif

This shows what is considered the "west side" of Youngstown.

I personally think that any neighborhood west of the park and 680 would be fine. But, others will probably disagree. (as I'm sure you've read, some would suggest that you stay out of the city all together.)

If you're looking for a more suburban feel, you would probably want to look further west than my neighborhood. Neighborhoods like Kirkmere, Shenley, and Cornersburg were built in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

If realtors are hesitant about Austintown, it's probably because it was recently included in one of those "fastest dying towns" lists from Forbes. If you buy into those kinds of lists, you should know that just about all of the local suburbs could qualify for that kind of list.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,574,023 times
Hi Ken, i guess a good question is, if you move to the west side of Y-town are you willing to send your kids to Y-town cities schools??? I'm assuming if you can't afford the southern burbs you may not be able to afford private schools, is that right????? I guess i'm not completely sure what areas you are considering, what price range you are looking in, what you want nearby, etc. Could you be a little more specific? JR is really good about answering questions about the West Side. If you have questions about areas north of Y-town, i'm your girl.........just let us know. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 AM

i can help you, but i am going to be honest, which others call negative.

if i were you, i would aim for cornersburg or parts of kirkmere. avoid the salt springs area at all costs.

it depends on which part of glenwood you are thinking of in the map. if you are thinking south of midlothian, you would be in a part of boardman which is alright since it is the historical district. if you are thinking of the areas real close to mill creek park with indian street names like kiawatha you are in the sweet spot which also happens to be right next to a hood. much further north than that, you should exert as much caution for as far as you are going north.

if you are thinking of the western part of youngstown, do the better thing for your kids and make sure they get into austintown schools instead of youngstown schools by getting somewhere cheaper in the eastern part of austintown. that way, when the problems continue to seep over time, your kids will at least be in better schools.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
i can help you, but i am going to be honest, which others call negative.
I can deal with negative and honesty is always appreciated.

Quote:
if i were you, i would aim for cornersburg or parts of kirkmere.
Thanks, 000000, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Quote:
avoid the salt springs area at all costs.
I can't find Salt Springs on the map that JR_C posted (I had already saved a copy of it to work from) can you point that out, please?

Quote:
it depends on which part of glenwood you are thinking of in the map. if you are thinking south of midlothian, you would be in a part of boardman which is alright since it is the historical district.
So, is Midlothian the dividing line? Can I assume that the farthest west end of Midlothian is okay or should I look for well below Midlothian? What about just north of Midlothian, say Ferndale and West Ravenwood?

Quote:
if you are thinking of the areas real close to mill creek park with indian street names like kiawatha you are in the sweet spot which also happens to be right next to a hood. much further north than that, you should exert as much caution for as far as you are going north.
From what I can make out on the map, the area around Lake Newport is where the line needs to be drawn. Is that correct?

Specifically, where is the "hood" and what areas should I explicitly stay away from?

Quote:
if you are thinking of the western part of youngstown, do the better thing for your kids and make sure they get into austintown schools instead of youngstown schools by getting somewhere cheaper in the eastern part of austintown. that way, when the problems continue to seep over time, your kids will at least be in better schools.
Schools are an issue, believe me, that has been a big part of the discussion. We looked at private schools but all of them seem to be run by churches - which may not fit in with our lives all that well.

I really appreciate the help, 000000, thanks.
I hope you didn't take offense to the kidding in one of my earlier replies to you this morning. It's nearly impossible to show humor and sarcasm in a forum like this.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Hi Ken,

Here's a map of the city of Youngstown outlining the neighborhoods:
Thanks, I found that map some time ago and have been using it. Do you know where there is a key that explains what the names of the neighborhoods are for the numbers?

Quote:
I happen to live in the "Garden District" neighborhood, and like it.
I saw your pictorial and I loved it. Thanks.

I'm not sure you can ever understand how valuable the work you did in taking those shots and posting them is to someone like me. I owe CortlandGirl a big thank you as well and I'll get around to that in due time.

One quick question...

I like the look of the Garden District, some of the homes you posted pictures of are breathtaking. Is it a safe neighborhood? Would I need a security system, bars on the windows and doors as well as a locked garage to keep my possessions from being ripped off?

Quote:
This shows what is considered the "west side" of Youngstown.

I personally think that any neighborhood west of the park and 680 would be fine. But, others will probably disagree. (as I'm sure you've read, some would suggest that you stay out of the city all together.)
I find the wealth of opinions to be refreshing. I'm not looking for a tourist brochure that gives me a varnished over picture, I need real opinions. I also understand that there will be disagreement and after I move there, I'll be glad to let everyone know who I thought was right.

Quote:
If you're looking for a more suburban feel, you would probably want to look further west than my neighborhood. Neighborhoods like Kirkmere, Shenley, and Cornersburg were built in the 40's, 50's and 60's.
There really seems to be quite a consensus about that area. I think I will use this advice to see what I can find. Thanks!

Quote:
If realtors are hesitant about Austintown, it's probably because it was recently included in one of those "fastest dying towns" lists from Forbes. If you buy into those kinds of lists, you should know that just about all of the local suburbs could qualify for that kind of list.
I read the Forbes list and no, it doesn't mean anything to me.

Thanks again, JR_C, your help is more than appreciated.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 AM

CortlandGirl,

I guess I need to tell you that I'm one of the people who pushed your hit count way over the top. The contributions you have made to this forum (and hopefully will continue to make) are more valuable to people like me than you will ever know.

Awesome job, really - and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Hi Ken, i guess a good question is, if you move to the west side of Y-town are you willing to send your kids to Y-town cities schools???
Probably not. From what I can see, the picture isn't pretty. I'm reading up on the Open Enrollment (Thanks again) and will have to figure out of we will find a way of affording private school (if a suitable one can be found) or even home school, an option I would prefer to not have to depend on.

Quote:
I'm assuming if you can't afford the southern burbs you may not be able to afford private schools, is that right?????
Being able to afford and will to pay are two very different things.

For example, I know I have a choice of literally hundreds of homes in the under $35K price range. This means with a strong downpayment and possibly taking some of the Youngstown buyer's incentives, I can pay off a home in three to five years, much like a new Buick. As I would be taking out a 15 year mortgage, my monthly payment (P&I only) would be just north of $100/month and in many areas, including property taxes and insurance, we would be below $300/month.

Canfield's lowest priced home is $49K and goes up rapidly from there. Poland is in that range, even though there are a couple of homes that are probably too small in the $40K range. Don't even get me started on the property taxes - but I'm sure that subject is heated enough.

Quote:
I guess i'm not completely sure what areas you are considering, what price range you are looking in, what you want nearby, etc. Could you be a little more specific?
To be honest with you, we are looking in the below $50K range, probably in the $35K neighborhood, unless we can't find something suitable. The areas are open but we would like to be near shopping. My wife noted that Warren doesn't seem to have supermarkets (plural) and we would like to be somewhere where we can shop at more than one supermarket to play off the specials without having to drive all over to do so.

Quote:
JR is really good about answering questions about the West Side. If you have questions about areas north of Y-town, i'm your girl.........just let us know. Good luck!
Understood, even though I consider you a fountain of knowledge, period.
What is your feeling about our needs in as far as shopping is concerned?
Is there anywhere up in the northern sections that might meet them?

And again, THANK YOU for everything you've done.
If I was contemplating a move like this 10 years ago, none of this would have been possible.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD View Post
I can't find Salt Springs on the map that JR_C posted (I had already saved a copy of it to work from) can you point that out, please?
yeah, in the top left left corner of the first map jr_c posted. the parts around it would not be good either, but i think of that area as salt spings due to the road. in any event, it is the worst part of the west side- which would still relatively make it better than all of the east and some parts of the north and south. still, with pagan mc (1%) and such around it is not that desirable.

Quote:
So, is Midlothian the dividing line? Can I assume that the farthest west end of Midlothian is okay or should I look for well below Midlothian? What about just north of Midlothian, say Ferndale and West Ravenwood?
midlothian is the dividing line legally and culturally. midlothian to lake newport is still the southside. midlothian west of the lake is in the west side and preferable to it east of the lake (for the most part).

midlothian is not bad, but except for boardman's historical district (good) and brownlee woods (used to be among the best but has taken a dramatic fall recently), but generally the further south you go the better.

if you go too far east on midlothian you will end up in struthers which would be safe enough, but the schools are suspect and property value drops.

Quote:
From what I can make out on the map, the area around Lake Newport is where the line needs to be drawn. Is that correct?
yes, that would be a very easily understood way of drawing it.

Quote:
Specifically, where is the "hood" and what areas should I explicitly stay away from?
the thing with youngstown is that outside of the east side, which is truly the ghetto of ghettos, the areas of good and bad are blotchy.
the area i had mentioned before is an example of how quickly things change from one street to another (kiawatha good, ferndale slightly sketchy but nothing too bad, boston very bad). other examples abound in the other parts of town. if i were in that partcular area i would try for something in boardman if possible. it is patrolled more often by bpd and the schools are rated highly.

Quote:
Schools are an issue, believe me, that has been a big part of the discussion. We looked at private schools but all of them seem to be run by churches - which may not fit in with our lives all that well.
as they should be. your kids are counting on you to do good for them.

i am not aware of any non-religious schools off of the top of my head.

Quote:
I really appreciate the help, 000000, thanks.
I hope you didn't take offense to the kidding in one of my earlier replies to you this morning. It's nearly impossible to show humor and sarcasm in a forum like this.
though i came back at you, i saw this and retracted my statements full of zingers. i do not take the internet personally and view it more as a sport. my dislike of the youngstown area is true, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio