Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 01:53 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,166 times

Advertisements

I'm into stuff like urban exploration and grit and the like... That said, the area on the east side of Youngstown around McGuffey Road that is mostly abandoned and overgrown... were any of those streets ever even developed before the steel mills closed, or are they just totally abandoned and everything demolished?

Weird question, I know, but on a recent trip to Youngstown I came across this area while headed toward Hubbard, and I was just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I don't really know the east side that well. But I do know that there were parts where infrastructure was built out--I think during the 50s--but no housing was ever built.

Here's an example: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1202...7i13312!8i6656

Is this the area you were in? Notice that there is a street light and a fire hydrant, even though there's almost nothing around.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,166 times
That was the general area I was in, yes. I turned off the main drags and even drove down a few of the side streets that I was able to drive on (some of the streets were either too overgrown, full of potholes and trash, or a combination of all of those and non-navigable), mainly on and around Jacobs Road.

I've been coming to Youngstown my entire life, I know the area really well, but for some reason I never really ventured out to the east side. My travels took me mainly to Austintown and the areas around Belmont Avenue. For whatever reason, I decided to take the long way home through Hubbard and on Route 7. That's when all of this caught my eye and I did a little impromptu exploring.

It really tells a sad story about Youngstown and the Rust Belt in general, of places and things that could have been. The vibe I get from many locals is that the east side basically doesn't exist (in comparison to other parts of the city), and evidently... parts of it literally never did.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:12 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
In 2000, the Vindicator published a book with their front pages from dates of significant events of the 20th century. While the main headlines were interesting, I was also interested in reading some of the smaller articles on those same front pages.

One of these articles, from sometime in the first half of the 1900s, was a blurb about how the east side was seeing so much less development than the rest of the city, and how it had traditionally been the least developed part of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio