Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 04:31 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,858,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
Yup I'm aware of the Amish , though I appreciate your response regardless ...

FWIW are you familiar with an author called ( I think ) Jim Webb who wrote a book about his thesis that essentially boils down to the claim that much of the general outlook of the present day white working class in Middle America has been shaped by the Scots Irish ?

If so then are you more inclined to agree or disagree with that statement ?
Oh, you're from Hungary so you'd be familiar with John Hus likely.

Webb? Yes, he's largely correct.

Which statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,823,394 times
Khan - no offense taken, I'm fine. That's why I asked about your angle.

It's not common for Americans (USA) to make a distinction between ethnic or national groups - even though we all know we descend from different cultures. It is considered, at the least, impolite to generalize across any group.
It's not always wrong though. If you don't examine the cultural roots - maybe something essential is missed.
I defined myself as Eastern European - as my great great grandparents are from Croatia - but they settled in what is - on a map at least -Appalachia. I never identified with either culture. My father moved out of there as a young man in the 1950s, and we never called my ancestors "hillbilly" or anything else. They're just people, doing what they can to get by - some choose to leave, so choose to stay, but all - choose.

He didn't come to Youngstown to set-up a White Trash neighborhood - but to get away from one.

Another unique American "custom" - compared to other nationalities and cultures - we don't find or search for our current conditions by looking at our roots. Right or wrong, we barely consider our past. We think a "lengthy feud" is when it crosses a single generation. Europeans are still mad about something that happened 100, 400, 1600 years ago. We have nothing like that here, and no way to identify with it.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:48 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
To generalize "white ghettos" in Ohio as somehow related to Appalachian culture is not just inappropriate - but certainly incorrect.
Not generalizing doesn't mean that Appalachian enclaves (if you want to use a fancier term) didn't and don't still exist.

In the 70s and 80s, until it began to gentrify, Dayton's South Park neighborhood was home largely to white people of Appalachian heritage who also were low-income. Same with Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati - first a working class German neighborhood, then Appalachian, then African-American.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:35 AM

297 posts, read 173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh, you're from Hungary so you'd be familiar with John Hus likely.

Webb? Yes, he's largely correct.

Which statement?

Yes I'm familiar with John Hus , does he have anything to do with the Amish ?

As for the statement , I'm referring to Webb's claim that the outlook of the original Scots Irish settlers has become the main cultural influence upon the White American lower/working class .

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,823,394 times
Agree completely, Ohiogirl, but his question was (paraphrasing) - which cities in Ohio have White Ghettos of Appalachian descent? And while I agree (not really debatable) that "enclaves" exist - somewhere - at this point, 50 - 100 years later, I don't know if generalizing ANY "white-ghetto" area of Ohio as Appalachian would be accurate. It's all a mixed bag now.

But the closer you get to the source (sorry, West Virginia) then the more likely you would be to find this situation.

Southern Ohio (which I consider to be -roughly - still Appalachia) has some "enclaves" too - but they've been there for a long, lonnnnng time.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,710,211 times
Default Please don't stereotype. It's very wrong.

You can't say all people that are of this or that behave this way. Whole towns were even being stereotyped!
I know people all over Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana counties and the people I know are all very
good people. A few bad apples can hurt a reputation but that doesn't mean the whole bunch are bad. I love this area and most all of the people here.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM

22,633 posts, read 6,385,986 times
So sad..my grandparents came from Poland long ago..I'm 73. Born in Youngstown my family moved to California in 1959. When I look at my area off Market St. There's only a few falling down houses left. The elementary school torn down. The house I lived in burned down years ago along with many other homes. It used to be an old but kept up neighborhood. All my relatives and neighbors left.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:40 PM

148 posts, read 455,005 times
I can see the distinctions you mention in the Toledo area. It seems that a lot of the Appalachian neighborhoods are in the south and southeastern sections of midwestern metro areas - Toledo, Columbus, Indianapolis, and smaller cities in NW Ohio fit that. Many of those neighborhoods remain poor but solid. East Toledo is the Appalachian section of Toledo (with some exceptions). The Eastern European neighborhoods have largely been abandoned by the Poles, Hungarians, Slovaks and others in Toledo; they have been upwardly mobile and have moved to the suburbs. The two Polish neighborhoods in Toledo are now largely African-American.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,352,238 times
Jo’ reggelt kiva’nok.
I will add my two cents. Regarding a Cleveland there are Appalachian white people on the west side mainly around the Dennison ave. area west of W.25th. Not a very safe area at night imo. Thurman Avenue in Tremont used to be called hillbilly alley, but with all the gentrification I doubt it’s still there haven’t been there in a few years. There are also a few poor white neighborhoods scattered along the west side in the west 80‘s blocks.
There are no poor ghetto eastern European neighborhoods left that I can think of. Like another poster said, most have assimilated into middle to upper middle class in Cleveland suburbs.
Btw The city of Cleveland proper used to have the largest Hungarian population in the world outside of Budapest. They settled in the Buckeye Road neighborhood on the east side of Cleveland. Which many might consider a black ghetto area now. Cleveland metro still boasts one of the largest if not the largest Hungarian population still outside of hungry.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 AM

297 posts, read 173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Jo’ reggelt kiva’nok.
I will add my two cents. Regarding a Cleveland there are Appalachian white people on the west side mainly around the Dennison ave. area west of W.25th. Not a very safe area at night imo. Thurman Avenue in Tremont used to be called hillbilly alley, but with all the gentrification I doubt it’s still there haven’t been there in a few years. There are also a few poor white neighborhoods scattered along the west side in the west 80‘s blocks.
There are no poor ghetto eastern European neighborhoods left that I can think of. Like another poster said, most have assimilated into middle to upper middle class in Cleveland suburbs.
Btw The city of Cleveland proper used to have the largest Hungarian population in the world outside of Budapest. They settled in the Buckeye Road neighborhood on the east side of Cleveland. Which many might consider a black ghetto area now. Cleveland metro still boasts one of the largest if not the largest Hungarian population still outside of hungry.

I must say I didn't expect that someone would use a Hungarian greeting on this forum ...

That said is the Dennison avenue area you mention dangerous at night in the sense of having frequent homicides and/or people pulling guns on you if they feel disrespected ? Or is it more dangerous along the lines of you're likely to catch a beating if you're not careful when venturing there after dark ?

Also are there white people of Eastern European descent mixed in with white people of Appalachian/other non ethnic white descent in these poor white neighborhoods you speak of ?

Thanks for the answer by the way !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio