Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 11:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Because the people of Ohio were awake. NOT “woke”.
They're being represented by idiots who think vaccines magnetize your body and who embarrass the state by promoting such ridiculous beliefs. This isn't about being "woke" or not. It's about the difference between reason and madness. Many people clearly can no longer tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They're being represented by idiots who think vaccines magnetize your body and who embarrass the state by promoting such ridiculous beliefs. This isn't about being "woke" or not. It's about the difference between reason and madness. Many people clearly can no longer tell the difference.
Yes the Magnetizing vaccine it’s just idiotic nonsense.
Along with defunding the police. Along with believing there’s more than two sexes. And teaching young kids about critical race theory when those lessons should be learned in the home.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:37 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Along with defunding the police. Along with believing there’s more than two sexes. And teaching young kids about critical race theory when those lessons should be learned in the home.
Why are those other things you listed nonsense? I'm not well versed on any of these debates, but I still have some questions/comments for you:

To reduce the workload of the police by having caseworkers, psychologists, etc. deal with the issues that pertain to them, instead of (or instead of just) an armed police officer seems logical to me. It's the job of the police to keep the peace. They aren't doctors, caseworkers, etc., and it's unfair to them to keep piling on additional responsibility that they need endless training for. But, it is just an opinion.

If there are only two sexes, what are those minority of people who aren't male or female, biologically speaking? I'm not even going to get into gender identity, which is where I think most conservatives are most confused.

It seems to me that the Tulsa massacre, the anniversary of which was in the news recently, should be taught in schools. The fact that it hasn't been, for so many people, is an example of why CRT is worth discussing in schools.

But, these last couple posts are getting off-topic, and may end up being deleted.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Why are those other things you listed nonsense? I'm not well versed on any of these debates, but I still have some questions/comments for you:

To reduce the workload of the police by having caseworkers, psychologists, etc. deal with the issues that pertain to them, instead of (or instead of just) an armed police officer seems logical to me. It's the job of the police to keep the peace. They aren't doctors, caseworkers, etc., and it's unfair to them to keep piling on additional responsibility that they need endless training for. But, it is just an opinion.

If there are only two sexes, what are those minority of people who aren't male or female, biologically speaking? I'm not even going to get into gender identity, which is where I think most conservatives are most confused.

It seems to me that the Tulsa massacre, the anniversary of which was in the news recently, should be taught in schools. The fact that it hasn't been, for so many people, is an example of why CRT is worth discussing in schools.

But, these last couple posts are getting off-topic, and may end up being deleted.
I’ll agree to disagree on your last paragraph. If you read the curriculum like I did, I don’t feel it appropriate and I feel it divides people more than bring them together. No one should be afraid of their skin or feel ashamed of their skin. Everyone in this country has an equal opportunity. Especially if there’s a core nuclear family with the mother and father teaching life lessons early on in life.But that’s just my viewpoint.

There are only two sexes male and female. The minority you were speaking of, are called hermaphrodites. Born with both sex organs of some variation which could be in the thousands. This is a real medical deformity so to speak. And wrong choices were made at birth for decades. Doctors now wait instead of making a decision at birth. Hermaphrodites need to be taken seriously.
However ask any credible doctor and they will tell you trans gender dysphoria is a mental condition not physical. As you probably already know, and anatomically correct male or female who thinks they are the opposite sex is in their mental state not the physical. The term trans gender dysphoria was derived under mental illness and lessened the stigma of mental illness. But any logical or educated person in anatomy physiology or microbiology understands that when a person is 100% anatomically correct male or female but thinks otherwise has to do with mental health brain functionality. And personally, this is such a minuscule of the population in reality. It’s laughable that we pass laws and allow males to compete against females in sports. Totally un-****ing believable and I refuse to pretend along with their mental confusion. But again that’s just my viewpoint.

And to address your first paragraph. Excuse me but I already thought we had counselors, caseworkers, doctors, social service programs,.?? Defunding the police and taking money away from the police instead of adding police to our streets is ludicrous. Especially in a violent city like Cleveland Ohio.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:22 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
I’ll agree to disagree on your last paragraph. If you read the curriculum like I did, I don’t feel it appropriate and I feel it divides people more than bring them together. No one should be afraid of their skin or feel ashamed of their skin. Everyone in this country has an equal opportunity. Especially if there’s a core nuclear family with the mother and father teaching life lessons early on in life.But that’s just my viewpoint.
How can we turn the page on mistakes weve made as a country if we dont acknowledge them in the first place?

Weve done a lot of things right as a nation and weve done some things wrong. We should celebrate what we do right and learn from what we did wrong, not ignore it.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:33 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
I think these calls that Ohio is no longer a swing state are very premature.
I dont think so. I think Ohio is now solidly in the hands of the GOP. Its been swinging right for a while now.

There is a difference between conservatism and populism and I think thats whats being lost here. Donald Trump was not a conservative, he is a populist. There are many views that populists hold that were once solidly Democratic views (protectionism, being anti war, being ok with unions, etc.) and one of Ohio's senators is a populist even though he's a Democrat.

And this is why Ohio is no longer a swing state. For better or worse, Trump pushed the GOP in the direction of populism at the expense of educated suburbanites. Im not saying every single corner of Ohio is like that, but especially outside the cities there has been a huge swing to the right from both Eastern and Western Ohio.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I bet you believe that "defunding the police" essentially means no more police when it really just means redirecting some of the funding to community programs that will ultimately help prevent crime in the first place and therefore reducing the need for so many cops. It also seeks to tackle the militarization of police departments, which are more likely to commit abuses of power. We will still have police, though.
I notice that there is a LOT of conservative media claiming the recent rise in violence the last year or so is directly related to this proposal, but crime has been rising everywhere in conservative and liberal-led areas alike and regardless of local police funding trends.

Can you give me an explanation of what you think CRT actually is? Again, it seems like something most on the Right either have no idea what it really is, or have been told it's some early stage of a Marxist revolution. Why don't you give me your specific objections to it.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:

There are only two sexes male and female. The minority you were speaking of, are called hermaphrodites. Born with both sex organs of some variation which could be in the thousands. This is a real medical deformity so to speak. And wrong choices were made at birth for decades. Doctors now wait instead of making a decision at birth. Hermaphrodites need to be taken seriously.
However ask any credible doctor and they will tell you trans gender dysphoria is a mental condition not physical. As you probably already know, and anatomically correct male or female who thinks they are the opposite sex is in their mental state not the physical. The term trans gender dysphoria was derived under mental illness and lessened the stigma of mental illness. But any logical or educated person in anatomy physiology or microbiology understands that when a person is 100% anatomically correct male or female but thinks otherwise has to do with mental health brain functionality. And personally, this is such a minuscule of the population in reality. It’s laughable that we pass laws and allow males to compete against females in sports. Totally un-****ing believable and I refuse to pretend along with their mental confusion. But again that’s just my viewpoint.

And to address your first paragraph. Excuse me but I already thought we had counselors, caseworkers, doctors, social service programs,.?? Defunding the police and taking money away from the police instead of adding police to our streets is ludicrous. Especially in a violent city like Cleveland Ohio.
When you learned about WWI or WWII in history class, did you end up hating people of Italian/Japanese/German descent for the rest of your life? When you learned about the conflicts between white European/American settlers and Native Americans, did you end up with a complex about either? Teaching history isn't about trying to divide people. It's about teaching the facts and context about our past, but also in remembering events that should never be repeated. History is full of unpleasant reality. That doesn't make it any less valuable. Nor is the intent of CRT to make you feel guilty based on your skin color, and if it does, maybe you should ask yourself why.
As to your point that things should be taught at home, most parents do not possess the education or knowledge of history to teach such things. And clearly, by your own reluctance to want to talk about it, many parents never would.

You didn't really answer what sex hermaphrodites are. Most who object to the "more than 2 sexes" position is based entirely on either genitalia or chromosomes, but hermaphrodites can have various versions of both that do not coincide with either male or female norms. So are they male or female? And if they're neither, don't you have to admit that there are more than 2, even if it's through a medical or biological anomaly? Furthermore, why does it matter so much how someone sees themselves? How does that really hurt anyone? Even if you disagree, it is their life. I thought conservatives were supposed to be all for individual rights and responsibility?

Why would we ask most doctors their opinion on that subject when most doctors are not trained or educated on gender/sex, nor on mental health issues? I wouldn't go to a oncologist when I need a dentist, so why should we care what most doctors think on issues they have no educational background in? And I'm not sure the claim that most doctors would say it's purely a mental condition is even supportable to begin with. Furthermore, if it was only a mental condition, does that make it any less real? Is schizophrenia a mental or biological condition? Alzheimer's? How about someone with just really high IQ? How do you even classify a mental condition without acknowledging that all mental conditions are biological?
You do realize also that for a person with gender dysphoria to actually go through the physical transition process, most countries require a long period of mental health evaluation and therapy, right? That is certainly true in America, where I believe they must be evaluated for at least a year by a qualified therapist- who is a doctor. They then must live in the role of the gender they feel they are for another period of time, usually another year or so. After all of that, only then will that doctor must sign off on them moving forward with any physical procedures. So why should we reject the views of experts on mental health if you are saying it's entirely a mental health condition? Are you saying that you know better than they do, because it sure sounds like that's what you're claiming.
And if they're such a small portion of the population, why do Republicans feel the need to pass laws "protecting" the rest of us from them in sports and bathrooms? Or is this really just your attempt to minimize their existence while excusing discrimination against them?

They're talking about having those people be part of the first responders instead of having police be the only ones. Police are not trained in mental health issues, a major factor in things like domestic violence calls. They just don't know how to talk someone down, and really, most do not try. Yes, social workers already exist, but police are often utilized in cases where they shouldn't be the first point of contact. And again, it's not just about that, it's about investing in more neighborhood programs that will ultimately lead to long-term improvements and lower motivation for crime to take place to begin with. Simply throwing more and more money after the fact when it's already too late to prevent anything doesn't really solve the underlying issues that cause crime in communities. Again, in the past year, *very* few cities have cut police budgets, but crime has gone up even in cities that increased their budgets. If more money is the answer, why aren't we seeing any direct results of those increases?

Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I bet you believe that "defunding the police" essentially means no more police when it really just means redirecting some of the funding to community programs that will ultimately help prevent crime in the first place and therefore reducing the need for so many cops. It also seeks to tackle the militarization of police departments, which are more likely to commit abuses of power. We will still have police, though.
I notice that there is a LOT of conservative media claiming the recent rise in violence the last year or so is directly related to this proposal, but crime has been rising everywhere in conservative and liberal-led areas alike and regardless of local police funding trends.

Can you give me an explanation of what you think CRT actually is? Again, it seems like something most on the Right either have no idea what it really is, or have been told it's some early stage of a Marxist revolution. Why don't you give me your specific objections to it.
Number one you lost your bet. I totally understand what most people mean by defending the police. And again my opinion is we add money and put more police on the street. It’s laughable that you want less police. Basically you want to throw more money at counselors social programs job fairs etc. That’s fine with me also.
However, need to make sure the monies going to the right people in not squandered by local politicians. Because we all know how that goes down in the past. I suggest we take a hard look at how many fatherless families there are a crossed America. The black community is hit hardest by this and probably The main reason for higher crime, higher drop out rate, higher incarceration rates. In my opinion that’s where everything starts in the home.
I know what CRT is. And I don’t believe it helps anyone I believe it divides people. Many people across America are challenging school boards on this and many prominent Black people are also speaking out about this because it goes against everything Dr. King was saying.
Besides, schools need to focus on the basics of math reading history science and vocational training for kids not interested in college.
Again basic common decency, manners and basically how to treat others good like you wanna be treated should all be taught in the home and early age. But again for a lot of kids they’re not getting this message.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
When you learned about WWI or WWII in history class, did you end up hating people of Italian/Japanese/German descent for the rest of your life? When you learned about the conflicts between white European/American settlers and Native Americans, did you end up with a complex about either? Teaching history isn't about trying to divide people. It's about teaching the facts and context about our past, but also in remembering events that should never be repeated. History is full of unpleasant reality. That doesn't make it any less valuable. Nor is the intent of CRT to make you feel guilty based on your skin color, and if it does, maybe you should ask yourself why.
As to your point that things should be taught at home, most parents do not possess the education or knowledge of history to teach such things. And clearly, by your own reluctance to want to talk about it, many parents never would.

You didn't really answer what sex hermaphrodites are. Most who object to the "more than 2 sexes" position is based entirely on either genitalia or chromosomes, but hermaphrodites can have various versions of both that do not coincide with either male or female norms. So are they male or female? And if they're neither, don't you have to admit that there are more than 2, even if it's through a medical or biological anomaly? Furthermore, why does it matter so much how someone sees themselves? How does that really hurt anyone? Even if you disagree, it is their life. I thought conservatives were supposed to be all for individual rights and responsibility?

Why would we ask most doctors their opinion on that subject when most doctors are not trained or educated on gender/sex, nor on mental health issues? I wouldn't go to a oncologist when I need a dentist, so why should we care what most doctors think on issues they have no educational background in? And I'm not sure the claim that most doctors would say it's purely a mental condition is even supportable to begin with. Furthermore, if it was only a mental condition, does that make it any less real? Is schizophrenia a mental or biological condition? Alzheimer's? How about someone with just really high IQ? How do you even classify a mental condition without acknowledging that all mental conditions are biological?
You do realize also that for a person with gender dysphoria to actually go through the physical transition process, most countries require a long period of mental health evaluation and therapy, right? That is certainly true in America, where I believe they must be evaluated for at least a year by a qualified therapist- who is a doctor. They then must live in the role of the gender they feel they are for another period of time, usually another year or so. After all of that, only then will that doctor must sign off on them moving forward with any physical procedures. So why should we reject the views of experts on mental health if you are saying it's entirely a mental health condition? Are you saying that you know better than they do, because it sure sounds like that's what you're claiming.
And if they're such a small portion of the population, why do Republicans feel the need to pass laws "protecting" the rest of us from them in sports and bathrooms? Or is this really just your attempt to minimize their existence while excusing discrimination against them?

They're talking about having those people be part of the first responders instead of having police be the only ones. Police are not trained in mental health issues, a major factor in things like domestic violence calls. They just don't know how to talk someone down, and really, most do not try. Yes, social workers already exist, but police are often utilized in cases where they shouldn't be the first point of contact. And again, it's not just about that, it's about investing in more neighborhood programs that will ultimately lead to long-term improvements and lower motivation for crime to take place to begin with. Simply throwing more and more money after the fact when it's already too late to prevent anything doesn't really solve the underlying issues that cause crime in communities. Again, in the past year, *very* few cities have cut police budgets, but crime has gone up even in cities that increased their budgets. If more money is the answer, why aren't we seeing any direct results of those increases?
You can believe what you wanna believe. I have no problem with your beliefs.
However,I refuse to pretend along with a 100% anatomically correct males who think they’re females. And I refuse to pretend that a 100% anatomically correct female is a male.
I have no problem how you think on this issue. Isn’t that what tolerance and acceptance of other people’s viewpoints are supposed to be?
However I would beat any male that came into my daughters bathroom because they’re confused to where they should go. In fact I doubt you would find a father that would even let that happen in America.

Last edited by Yac; 06-14-2021 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio