Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:03 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, but. Automotive employment is a fraction of what it once was.
Uh no. Automotive employment is increasing due to the need for people with experience in new technologies such as electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, etc. These people are not choosing to live in the city of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 09:53 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Uh no. Automotive employment is increasing due to the need for people with experience in new technologies such as electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, etc. These people are not choosing to live in the city of Detroit.
Uhh, better look at the numbers. I didn't say it wasn't increasing. I said that employment is a fraction of what it once was.

This is just since 1994-it's lower now.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec...r-market-nafta

Old 12-04-2020, 12:05 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Quote:
Yes they do. Start in downtown Detroit and drive north on Jefferson Avenue. Note the significant change for the better once you cross the border into Grosse Pointe.

Nice cherry pick, but I see you conveniently neglected my 3 examples that don't fit your extremely narrow narrative. There are others, if you would care for me to list them. I'll start with Harper Woods. Let me know if you want more.

I know the Grosse Pointe(s) area well and, while it is true that it's nationally known as one of the most stark examples of segregation demarcation, it isn't all puppies and rainbows there either. All 4 of the major "pointes" have been dramatically affected by deindustrialization. People are still leaving there at about a 4-5% clip every 10 years and the crime rate isn't exactly what you would call low.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 12-04-2020 at 12:18 AM..

Old 12-04-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Nice cherry pick, but I see you conveniently neglected my 3 examples that don't fit your extremely narrow narrative. There are others, if you would care for me to list them. I'll start with Harper Woods. Let me know if you want more.
You are telling us Harper Woods is in no better shape than the city of Detroit? What's next, Warren?

Old 12-04-2020, 07:30 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
What does Detroit have to do with who won Ohio?

Old 12-04-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
What does Detroit have to do with who won Ohio?
Some people want Ohio to turn Democratic. The city of Detroit is a perfect example of why that should never happen.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:08 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Some people want Ohio to turn Democratic. The city of Detroit is a perfect example of why that should never happen.
The states of Arizona and Georgia are perfect examples why it should.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:11 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
Quote:
I refuse to believe that it is the actions of an individual party that determines the quality of life in a particular location. True, some actions make it better and some make it worse, but that is more a reflection of the individual and not a reflection of the party. I know of some Democrats who are wonderful people and some whose ideas are very disgusting to me. The same holds true for Republicans. I think our biggest issue right now is the fact that too many people lump all in a political party as being either good or bad. They no longer look at the person, only the letter after their name.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,966,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I refuse to believe that it is the actions of an individual party that determines the quality of life in a particular location. True, some actions make it better and some make it worse, but that is more a reflection of the individual and not a reflection of the party. I know of some Democrats who are wonderful people and some whose ideas are very disgusting to me. The same holds true for Republicans. I think our biggest issue right now is the fact that too many people lump all in a political party as being either good or bad. They no longer look at the person, only the letter after their name.
It's overblown until it's not. Some of my most fulfilling moments in this godforsaken year were packing a picnic and sitting in the sand at the beaches in Cleveland. If I still lived in Chicago, I wouldn't have been allowed to do that. What's the difference? Politics.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:53 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
They vote that way because they are ignorant rascists...that's it
Quote:
Both of these posts made me roll my eyes big time.

To the first, the biggest mistake we can make is to assume all Trump voters chose him for the same reason. Sure, some did because they dont like minorities, but how do you explain Trump doing better with minority voters than his Republican predecessors? How do you explain that 1/10 of Obama voters voted for Trump? Frankly, the Democrats shot themselves in the foot in several areas (letting the Squad have such a big say in the direction of the party, Defund the Police, not coming out strongly enough against looting, etc.).

Ive actually never voted for a Republican in my life, but saying its because Republicans are racist is frankly just being lazy.

As to the 2nd post, thats also being lazy. Can I say that turning a place Republican makes it Mississippi or Alabama with terrible schools, healthcare, and poverty? Of course not. There are a lot of Democratic run cities that are very prosperous. The examples are too many to name. Detroit was much more a victim of having a major city rely on one industry and then that industry having its work shipped elsewhere. There was a time when Detroit was the place to go if you didnt have intellectual skills but wanted a high paying job. It wasnt the Democrats that took that away from Detroit and Im not saying it was the Republicans either. The motor industry just found ways to do their work cheaper overseas.

As for why Ohio is going further right and places like Georgia, Arizona, and even Texas are moving further left, thats pretty clear to me: its a battle between conservatism and populism. Trump is not conservative, hes a populist. There are many things populism actually has in common with liberalism. For example, protectionism and restrictions on free trade. Those use to be Democratic positions until Trump came along. Thats why Ohio went harder for Trump. Populism is popular in Ohio. Its not in Texas or Georgia where conservatism is popular which is why they went further left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio