Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,136,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You are telling us Harper Woods is in no better shape than the city of Detroit? What's next, Warren?

You are telling me that, just like Detroit, Harper Woods and the "Pointes" haven't experienced significant decline over the past few decades due to mass deindustrialization? How about Hamtramck, Highland Park or River Rouge? Stop skirting around the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,914,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You are telling me that, just like Detroit, Harper Woods and the "Pointes" haven't experienced significant decline over the past few decades due to mass deindustrialization? How about Hamtramck, Highland Park or River Rouge? Stop skirting around the point.
Oh Good Lord, man, give it up. Anyone with any sense understood his point, which is that there's usually an obvious difference on one side of the Detroit city limits versus the other. There was a goddamn movie about it (8 Mile). His point offended your political sensibilities, so you engaged in this pitifully stupid line of attack. Enough. Please.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:40 PM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Unfortunately, Ohio has too many backwards angry rural white guys that are uneducated and pissed at a everyone else for their own shortcomings...they refuse to better themselves and move out of their crap little towns w/ no futures...Trump spoke to them, and of course stoked their anger and resentment to vote in mass...

I fear Ohio has become lost like Missouri, another state that has 2 large cities at each end and is a backwater across the rest of the state...The Democrats need to work extra hard in the cities here to get the voters to the polls...Cleveland/Cuyahoga County didn't have near the numbers of voters that last 2 elections at the polls that we had for Obama in 08/12...I wish Obama could train the Ohio Democrat Party how to organize and reach out better...or they need to go learn from Stacy Abrams whose work has finally changed Georgia from deep red to purple.
Your assessment is spot on. I'm a transplant and I have lived here for seven years.

Although I personally do not know anyone who voted for Trump, I live in a smaller, diverse city. While I have no current plans to leave the state, we are moving from our current home within the next few years. We are empty nesters and it's too large and needs constant work and there is too much property. If we do stay in Ohio, I would totally avoid any place rural, and even some suburbs. Someplace like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights or University Heights.

I was SHOCKED that Ohio did not vote blue. Since I've lived here, we have had two conservative governors for whom I did not vote. Despite my disagreements with both of them, I do not think of either as Trumpublicans.

If we stay in OH, it would most likely be in an urban or inner-ring suburb. If OH becomes anything like a state like Missouri or Indiana - or most southern states - we will leave.

Last edited by sheena12; 12-04-2020 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 06:48 PM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
We also have a less diverse demographic than the rest of the nation...our Latino and Asian populations, both which overwhemingly vote Democrat aren't very high.

The true bellweather states are now places like NC, GA, AZ...Ohio is going to become less and less important nationally
I beg to differ when it comes to Asians - they lean conservative, both politically and religiously.

The most conservative people in my University town, NYC suburb were Asians. They had their own Evangelical churches.

I do agree about Latinos, with the exception of Cubans.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:00 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I beg to differ when it comes to Asians - they lean conservative, both politically and religiously.

The most conservative people in my University town, NYC suburb were Asians. They had their own Evangelical churches.

I do agree about Latinos, with the exception of Cubans.
Vietnamese tend to vote Republican for the same reason as Cubans, but most Asians vote for Democrats, even if they themselves may be socially conservative. Possibly because the GOP is less about actual conservatism these days than nationalism and rugged individualism.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:04 AM

810 posts, read 872,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your assessment is spot on. I'm a transplant and I have lived here for seven years.

Although I personally do not know anyone who voted for Trump, I live in a smaller, diverse city. While I have no current plans to leave the state, we are moving from our current home within the next few years. We are empty nesters and it's too large and needs constant work and there is too much property. If we do stay in Ohio, I would totally avoid any place rural, and even some suburbs. Someplace like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights or University Heights.

I was SHOCKED that Ohio did not vote blue. Since I've lived here, we have had two conservative governors for whom I did not vote. Despite my disagreements with both of them, I do not think of either as Trumpublicans.

If we stay in OH, it would most likely be in an urban or inner-ring suburb. If OH becomes anything like a state like Missouri or Indiana - or most southern states - we will leave.
Why the hate on Indiana? Hopefully Ohio does become more like Indiana as they have a balanced State budget, properly and legally funded public schools, good infrastructure and a growing economy.

For decades, Ohio has been stagnant, especially its cities, due to Democratic leadership. Cleveland for example, is a cesspool of corruption, poverty, and stagnant employment. Youngstown is another example of failed democratic leadership for years that only saw poverty increase, crime increase and jobs go away. Finally, blue collar workers and laborers said enough with Unions which shows the big shift in Ohio’s voting patterns. Blue collar workers turned out for Trump and are part of the new Republican Party.

Sounds like Ohio may not be the best State for your politics, perhaps California or the Northeast would be more fitting.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First off, I don't live in Ohio, but I was born and raised there. I am asking this question because, historically the candidate that wins Ohio, usually wins the election.

All the other battleground states seemed to switch, in the middle of the night, to Biden, in what a lot of people seem to think was some suspicious goings ons. Ohio was the exception.

The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?"

Or could it be they tried but fell short?

Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?

It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.
Trump has deeply divided rural and urban America. In Ohio, large cities and suburbs generally moved left, but exurbs and rural areas moved further right. Counties where Democrats were winning 35%-50% of the vote pre-Trump are now only giving them 20%. Trump has been able to rally rural whites with little to no higher education, blue collar workers that- for whatever reason- seem to believe he cares about them, older Boomers and racists, all of which Ohio has a lot of outside the cities. That base was more than enough to counter the turnout in cities. Democrats also didn't put much effort into actually winning Ohio. There were paths without it for them, so there was much less focus there.

All that said, the question is whether Ohio is now lost as a swing state. The big unknown with that is whether those Trump voters will turnout in the same numbers when he's no longer on the ballot. That doesn't seem likely, but it also seems unlikely that some of his voters will drift back to the Democrats in the future. Trump inspires nothing if not absolute, unquestioning loyalty, and that loyalty seems unlikely to be as strong with future Republicans or Democrats. As such, if they don't turn out for Republicans in the future, that could allow the state to go blue again with a strong Democratic candidate. Furthermore, the only areas of the state actually growing- Cincinnati and Columbus- are turning more blue over time, while red areas have low or negative growth rates with low birth rates and little to no in-migration, so there's only so long those places will have as much power as they do now.

As for election security, the biggest issue is not domestic fraud and never has been, despite claims by the Trump group. It is foreign electronic interference.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
This.

Also, Ohio isn't really a bellwether state anymore. It has been trending more conservative relative to the national average for the last 15 years or so.
This isn't true. Ohio has LONG been about 2 points more red than the nation as a whole, and that was true right through 2012. Trump has been an enormous outlier versus the past 30 years, which is why there is some question as to its staying power.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The city of Detroit has been voting Democrat since 1962. That has turned out to be a disaster.
Detroit's problems go far, far deeper than local leadership and the city would've ended up in pretty much the same condition regardless of what politicians led it.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
If Ohio is producing enough well-educated people to have a brain drain, they're doing better on that front than Democrat-run inner cities.
Um, it is CITIES that are producing the educated population because that's where most of the schools are. You guys just throw dumb claims out like this without even thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio