Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 15,995 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ohio to start working at Wright State University, and my boyfriend is starting school at the University of Miami, Ohio in Oxford. I originally was interested in living in Yellow Springs, as we are very open-minded, vegan people who like live music and a laid-back town with lots of art, independent stores, etc... Since YS is the wrong direction for us, I would like to find a town in between our respective schools, preferably closer to Dayton, that is similar to YS in culture and also has the good schools and safe neighborhoods. Are there any other cool places I should check out that work better than YS location-wise??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 19,042 times
Yellow Springs is very close to Wright State. Probably a 15 minute commute. To Oxford it's probably an hour.

That stinks you can't live in Yellow Springs because it's exactly what you're looking for based on what you wrote about yourselves.

There's some cool districts in Cincinnati but that's too far to Wright State (an hour plus commute).

I would look into the Oregon District in Dayton. It's a little district that is pretty liberal but it's not as big as Yellow Springs by far. Also check out Oakwood. It's a separate city than Dayton but is right next to it. It's liberal but is very pricey and consider sort of like the Beverly Hills of Dayton. It's independent but in an "upscale" kind of way, not in a folksy kind of way like Yellow Springs.

Between Dayton and Cincy, I can't really think of anywhere. Oxford is probably as close as you're going to get. Yellow Springs is kind of a rare gem. Between Dayton and Cincy is nothing but highway towns off 75 that are very conservative/rednecky from what I've heard.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Yellow Springs is pretty much its own animal as far as SW Ohio is concerned. Dayton itself is about as liberal as you'll get outside of Yellow Springs and Oxford.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 15,995 times
Default Follow up question...

Thanks so much, Ross! One questions--would you say that in either the Oregon District or Oakwood there are streets with little traffic? I have an outdoor only kitty I want to keep safe and live in an area where he can have space to roam around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMNewton View Post
Yellow Springs is very close to Wright State. Probably a 15 minute commute. To Oxford it's probably an hour.

That stinks you can't live in Yellow Springs because it's exactly what you're looking for based on what you wrote about yourselves.

There's some cool districts in Cincinnati but that's too far to Wright State (an hour plus commute).

I would look into the Oregon District in Dayton. It's a little district that is pretty liberal but it's not as big as Yellow Springs by far. Also check out Oakwood. It's a separate city than Dayton but is right next to it. It's liberal but is very pricey and consider sort of like the Beverly Hills of Dayton. It's independent but in an "upscale" kind of way, not in a folksy kind of way like Yellow Springs.

Between Dayton and Cincy, I can't really think of anywhere. Oxford is probably as close as you're going to get. Yellow Springs is kind of a rare gem. Between Dayton and Cincy is nothing but highway towns off 75 that are very conservative/rednecky from what I've heard.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
For the Oregon District, anything off of East Fifth would be pretty quite. The only other concern would be US35 Expressway running on the south side of the District.

Oakwood's only busy road would be OH48 (Far Hills Ave) which runs north/south through the middle of town. I'd say the west side of Far Hills is more quite (and more expensive) then the east side of Far Hills. While I don't know if I would consider Oakwood to be a liberal progressive community, it probably has its fair share of Democrats along with the Republican white-collar business employees and families. Still, I'd say it's worth checking out since it's somewhat between your workplaces. Not right in the middle, but better then the conservative highway suburbs.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
I would probably not keep an outdoor cat in the Oregon District in Dayton.

Good luck,

Kim

Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 PM

22 posts, read 92,659 times
Consider Historic South Park as well. I've been helping buyers in that area and it's quite comfortable with a lot of renovation going on. Hillary and Obama signs are highly visible. :-)

Cats are everywhere...

South Park is more affordable than the Oregon District, if that is an issue, but close so you have easy access to the entertainment district, and all the new building close to UD.

State Route 35 is easily accessible as well.

for some reason the link isn't working. Here's the url Welcome to South Park Historic District

Last edited by Teri L; 05-07-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: link not working

Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,146 times
The Oregon District probably wouldn't be the best place for an outdoor kitty. The yards are small, and there is a good bit of traffic around there. Although, some of the people there do have cats. You might have more luck in South Park. The yards would be bigger, and probably not quite as much traffic. Some liberal types think that Oakwood is too high-income. I think it would be a fine place to live--plenty of places to walk. It would definitely be easier for the kitty.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 30,376 times
The people I've talked to that live on farmland in Ag. communities consider Dayton a liberal town but we don't have the small town folksy feel of Yellow Springs or have total acceptance or appreciation of diversity ....so it's not that liberal.
I've not lived in the section of Southpark but I do go by it to and from work everyday and always admired the gazebo and how the people on Park Ave. light up the community during the holidays.
Not to get off topic, but the area north of Wayne Ave...is it still under the proposed building of the Kroger superstore under eminent domain? I haven't heard much about it lately?
How would that affect property values for the surrounding area considering the homeowners there are afraid to do improvements and are basically deadlocked?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 33,846 times
Default Better choose Yellow Springs

As there isn't anything else like it in SW Ohio.

Or, on the other hand, you might actually try practicing tolerance and diversity and move into a neighborhood that meets your other requirements (quiet with houses that meet your budget and taste) and seeing what happens.

Having lived in Boston (10 years) and Montana (17) and now on the West Side of Dayton (used to be the finest homes in town, now predominantly black so the some folks are scared to come here, though really most of the crime in Dayton is on the east side) you can find kindred spririts anywhere.

I'm not sure Oakwood (old money) would be your style. Antioch is closing, so Yellow Springs is going to experience some rough times. Also, you have to consider where it is "greener" to live. Perhaps you should live in Oxford so that hubby can bike to work and only one of you is driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio