Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 10:09 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon!

Hi so my Wife and I are considering relocating after finish up school in about 18 months.

Ohio has been on and off our radar. It's been on our radar due to healthcare is know nationally and worldwide with regards to Ohio hospitals. Also, Ohio college programs with healthcare are flexible and have unique programs exclusive to Ohio.

K to 12 schools in Ohio seem to have high ratings in certain areas. Taxes don't seem high in Ohio. Can basically go to a few major cities in the US in a day trip.

Only negatives we do see is the snow. Have heard that poltics has shifted from more purple to red. Have heard from those relocating out that Ohio has changed and wouldn't go back due to lot of crime & poverty (don't know how true this is).

Appreciate the insight can give!!!

Last edited by RunD1987; 10-02-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 11:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Northern Ohio gets way more snow than southern Ohio. Ohio taxes are not high but they definitely aren't low either.

Anyway, I love Ohio.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I wish we'd move back to purple politically as this state was better to live in then...that said I still love being here.

Taxes are by no means high (except for sales tax)

I live in the snow belt to the east of Cleveland, and even here, the snow is no longer bad. We had all of 3 bad snow storms all winter last year. And w/in a week of each event, the snow was all melted. So to me it's no longer an issue. It used to be that we'd get our first big snow in Nov (can't remember the last big Nov snow now) and we'd not see the grass again until March.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:35 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I grew up in Ohio.. Moved in 2005, just came back in January after having lived in VA, TX, SC, and CA.

We love it here (for the most part). Your money goes so much further here. We were paying 2000 to rent barely 1000sq feet in CA in a not great neighborhood.. Now our mortgage is like 625 a month for twice the space.

We live in a suburb of Youngstown, there is a TON to do within an hour or so.

Prices are lower for going out and entertainment and such.

We definitely miss the weather of some of those other places, but, its been pretty nice here so far.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I wish we'd move back to purple politically as this state was better to live in then...that said I still love being here.

I live in the snow belt to the east of Cleveland, and even here, the snow is no longer bad. We had all of 3 bad snow storms all winter last year. And w/in a week of each event, the snow was all melted. So to me it's no longer an issue. It used to be that we'd get our first big snow in Nov (can't remember the last big Nov snow now) and we'd not see the grass again until March.
It wasn't heavy by any means, but I believe I remember it snowing on Halloween last year. Or certainly the morning after.

I just checked the daily snowfalls for November from the last decade and then the decade of the 1970s. I did not find a single day with over 3 inches of snow in either decade. The vast majority of days had no snow, or very negligible amounts.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It wasn't heavy by any means, but I believe I remember it snowing on Halloween last year. Or certainly the morning after.

I just checked the daily snowfalls for November from the last decade and then the decade of the 1970s. I did not find a single day with over 3 inches of snow in either decade. The vast majority of days had no snow, or very negligible amounts.
United States Weather Ohio Edition by Dick Goddard lists The Great Thanksgiving Day Storm of 1950. It lasted from November 23-28. 6" in extreme northeast Ohio to 40" in the extreme east. Youngstown set the state 24-hour snowfall record at 20.7", while Steubenville set the single storm record at 36" over 3 days.

It's too bad this book was not updated to include the horrible winter of 1977-1978 and the bad winter of 1978-1979.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:24 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Smile I love being a Buckeye and living in Ohio.

I love the area of Ohio I live in. There are so many parks with trails for my English Springer
Spaniel and I. I love the change of seasons.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
United States Weather Ohio Edition by Dick Goddard lists The Great Thanksgiving Day Storm of 1950. It lasted from November 23-28. 6" in extreme northeast Ohio to 40" in the extreme east. Youngstown set the state 24-hour snowfall record at 20.7", while Steubenville set the single storm record at 36" over 3 days.

It's too bad this book was not updated to include the horrible winter of 1977-1978 and the bad winter of 1978-1979.
Ok but 1979 was 10 years before I was even born. I'm not exactly in high school. Three winter anomalies in the last 71 years is your case?

Old 10-06-2021, 06:25 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post

I agree. I think that NE Ohio is still purple. The rural areas and Cincinnati are red. I am originally from the NYC Metro area, and even the eastern county of Long Island (Suffolk) has turned red, with a few exceptions.

We want to move from Warren OH to the inner ring, Eastern suburbs of Cleveland. I like Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, Beachwood, Lyndhurst, S. Euclid, Pepper Pike, University Heights, and several others.
None of these places feel especially purple to me, much less "Red".

Now Suffolk County Long Island? That's become "Trump Country".

As to taxes, compared to the rest of the country, property taxes are low.

I can't wait to get out of Trumbull County.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok but 1979 was 10 years before I was even born. I'm not exactly in high school. Three winter anomalies in the last 71 years is your case?
I was in college in the mid to late 1970s, so I remember this time quite well. Rather than listing the bad winters in northeast Ohio, I'll mention the mild winter of 1997-1998. This was the only decent winter I have experienced in my lifetime of living in northeast Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio