Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,575 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am thinking of relocating to lancaster, OH, is this area good I need some help.. I live in North Carolina now and there is an awesome job opportunity there.. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Lancaster is doing very well. It is just south of Columbus, and enjoying a lot of its growth. The job market is doing very well there, but the closer you get to Columbus the better and more diverse it will get.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 162,779 times
We have just looked at three different rental houses in Lancaster and drove around the town. Basically, parts of town are charming, and parts of town look pretty run-down. This is also true of Newark. The good parts of Lancaster are in the north (roughly north of 6th) and in the east. The big advantage of Lancaster and Newark is that they are big enough to have, basically, everything you need for daily living, while being within pretty easy driving distance to Columbus (45 minutes to an hour). Both towns also have branch campuses of universities. Also, they're surrounded by gorgeous hills (especially Lancaster) and farms. The disadvantage is that large parts of both towns are not well kept up, with paint peeling off houses, couches on the porch, cars parked in the yard, etc., and generally, the population isn't nearly as well educated as Columbus suburbs.

Tip: check out Millersport. 10 minutes from Lancaster and looks like a great little burg.

Last edited by cal2oh; 01-07-2007 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 04-08-2007, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
not sure what your opportunity is, but I can guarantee that neither Lancaster nor Newark are on the "upswing" in terms of employment or economics. School system in Lancaster which was once one of the best in central ohio exists on a shoestring budget. More poverty appears each year and is now bracing for the downsizing of yet another major employer.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Howdy tekgrl,

Not sure if you've made your decision yet, but as my screenname indicates I'm a native of this fine little town.

If you're moving up from the South, you may be pleased to note that Lancaster has a more "Southern" feel to it than many other places in Ohio, and especially more so than the fast-paced, stressed out Columbus area. Kindof ironic that even in the hometown of Gen. Sherman, there are God-fearing patriots there today who proudly fly the Rebel flag as a symbol of heritage, tradition and states' rights.

Lancaster's schools are not the envy of central Ohio, but that's mainly because common-sense Lancaster residents recognize just throwing more money at a school district does not = smarter kids! I'm a product of Lancaster city schools myself (late '70s thru '80s) and I'm doing just fine, thanks. I also had some good old-fashioned disciplinarian teachers who made us learn multiplication tables, diagram sentences, memorize important historic dates, and know the difference between right and wrong.

Lancaster folks aren't too concerned about what's politically correct, what's hip or trendy in Hollywood. They're mostly just great people who work hard, go to church, and strive to provide the best for their kids and kin.

Things you'll find in Lancaster and nowhere else:
  1. The town's "pet rock" a/k/a Mount Pleasant, a 300-ft. sandstone cliff in Rising Park, from the top of which is a breathtaking view of half the county.

2. The Fairfield Co. Fairgrounds, which served as a set in the filming of Green Grass of Wyoming. It annually hosts the oldest (1850s) and last (usually 2nd week of October) county fair in Ohio.

3. Square 13 and the Historic District, a charming collection of early 19th-c. homes and churches, a few of which are open to the public. (Well, all of the churches are, duh! I meant the houses which became museums )

4. The Lancaster Festival, a 10-day annual summer blowout of music, arts, culture and socializing that rivals anything in Columbus.
Owing to its 19th- and early 20th-c. prosperity, Lancaster boasts a fairly sophisticated "upper" socioeconomic echelon, even today. This is exemplified by the Heritage Association (dedicated to preserving the town's history), Lancaster Country Club where civic leaders like to congregate and relax, and the sweet older dowagers who still wear hats and white gloves to church on Sunday. "High culture" isn't overly flaunted in Lancaster, but it is appreciated.

If you're into older homes, the best areas to live in Lancaster are up near Rising Park or down in the Historic District. If you'd prefer something newer, north and east sides are generally your best bet—specifically "Pill Hill" (Sycamore Dr. up the hill from Kanawha Rd.) and "Wacker Heights" (large area between Sheridan Dr. and Rte. 37, off Rainbow Dr. and other avenues). Secluded pockets of new upscale homes pop up all over town, occasionally.

Hope this helps!

-LN

Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79HSC View Post
bracing for the downsizing of yet another major employer.
Yes, the loss of Lancaster Glass hurts. Perhaps even deeper than the economic impact is the emotional/psychological shock to the town of a loss in this particular industry: this is GLASS, for goodnessakes! Lancaster and glass are practically synonymous. No denying, it sucks

Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM

39 posts, read 215,397 times
Default Love Lancaster !!

We relocated here 7 years ago and LOVE IT.............great hiking in the Hocking Hills, not far away. Friendly people, decent schools, feel safe. Small town feeling, but all the amenities you need. Relocating again and headed to Georgia................hate leaving this town, it is a treasure in my opinion. A younger person may not find enough night life or other activities. It would not have been my choice earlier in life. But now as a mother of three this is the type of community I want to raise a family in...............SAD to be moving. Anyone know of communities like this in Georgia, outside , way outside of Atlanta?????????????

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,561 times
My wife and I loved Lancaster and all the things available in and around it. However, if you have children, think twice about having them attend the public schools. Drugs are rampant in Lancaster High School, and outsiders remain outsiders there. Our kids, who were well-adjusted with many friends in a small town up north, were never able to break into the clique system in Lancaster. Medill Elementary was a God-send for our younger kids, but our older ones never adjusted to the high school. There are some church-related schools that offer a good alternative. Also, open enrollment in the county schools offers a good possibility as they still have good reputations.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 AM

192 posts, read 394,205 times
I too have heard very bad things about drugs in Lancaster City Schools. Look on the outskirts so your kids can go to a different school. We are in Logan and the schools are great. Berne Union is another good district so I have been told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio