Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 PM

53 posts, read 338,187 times

Advertisements

My husband is a medical student and is looking to doing his residency in Ohio. The areas that he is looking at are Cleveland, Columbus, and Akron. I'm a high school social studies teacher and was wondering how hard it is to find teaching jobs in Ohio. Does anyone know what the job market is like for teaching in these areas? Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:33 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,210 times
Well i know teaching jobs in Ohio are doing much better than some other sorrounding states. The suburbs of Cleveland and Columbus offer some good teaching jobs. Check out the SE suburbs of Cleveland. If you are looking into the medical field which is booming all over NE and Central Ohio then the SE suburbs of Cleveland are close. Close to the Cleveland Clinic, and many other great hospitals around the area, and not a far drive from Akron. Columbus as well has a booming medical field. The schools are doing very well in the suburb of Hilliard. Also check out Dublin, Delaware, Worthington, Westerville, New Albany, Lancaster, and Heath around Columbus. Near Cleveland, get ready for a long list, North Olmsted, Avon, Avon Lake, Bay Village, Rocky River, Westlake, Brook Park, Olmsted Falls, Sagamore Hills, Solon, Independence, Brecksville, Mayfield Heights. Bay Village and Avon Lake were in the top 50 school districts nationwide in 2005.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 PM

22 posts, read 207,504 times
Default education jobs

http://www.ode.state.oh.us

Check out the ohio dept of education's website above, it's a good place to start. You can also check out www.dioceseofcleveland.org for teaching jobs in Catholic schools in northern ohio.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 207,504 times
Exclamation cont'd

I forgot to mention there is a "jobs" link that lists several hundred education jobs in Ohio on the dept of educations website, with some larger school districts with their own link section within the jobs section.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM

79 posts, read 333,650 times
Wink dr's and teachers

Lorib49-

All three areas offer great choices for a medical residency.

However, finding teaching jobs isn't so hot. I would HIGHLY recommend only the Columbus area for finding a social studies job. It's a booming area that has generally funded the school systems well.

Akron and Cleveland have good intentions, but the teaching jobs are far and few between unless you have a specialty.

Last edited by trtlflwrs; 01-05-2007 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 28,611 times
Dayton is actually short on teaching staff and greatly needs dedicated teaching professionals. As far as residency, I can't say, but there are very reputable hospitals here and they are certainly worth looking into. Further, the housing market is more accessible and reasonably priced in Dayton compared to Cincinnati or Columbus. Although I love Columbus (it's my home town), property values and rent are going through the roof, plus, with the renowned OSU Medical School there, residency jobs are hard to secure.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Thank you for the advice. My husband is looking into Doctor's Hospital in Columbus. I hope that I'll be able to find a job there.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 AM

11 posts, read 60,899 times
The teaching jobs in Columbus are great and expanding. Columbus Public Schools offer fairly high income but I wouldn't recommend them. If you are looking for a good place to teach I would highly recommend Dublin because of its fast growing population. In the past five years, Dublin has added many new public schools including a new high school. Columbus also offers a lot of Catholic School teaching positions such as Bishop Watterson, St. Charles, Bishop Hartley.
As for your husband, Columbus has a few nationally ranking medical centers such as Grant, Riverside, Ohio State University Hospital and any of the Mt. Carmels. Of the three cities you mentioned, Columbus would probably be your best choice for a good teaching job and a good medical residency.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks to what you have all said, my husband and I are seriously considering a move to Columbus. We are acutally going to visit in two weeks to check out the area and see how we like it. We are currenlty living in Roanoke, VA but are originally from NJ, so we are used to large cities.

We have a couple of friends from Ohio and they told us that you have to know someone in order to get a teaching job in the state. Is this true? Doe anyone know if I will have difficulty because I'm not from the area. I have 4 years of experience and a Master's degree. Will this help?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:51 PM

110 posts, read 490,960 times
^ That will definately help. The Olentangy school district just north of Columbus in southern Delaware County is fabulous. You should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio