U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2022, 12:31 PM
 
11,489 posts, read 8,977,152 times
Reputation: 7064

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
I can assure you in my part of Ohio (North Central), Fried Yellow Perch Sandwiches ARE the trademark sandwich. The Sandusky Fish Company and DeMore's Fish Den both see plenty of my business from May through October.

And a personal, central North Coast Ohio, yellow perch favorite, Berardi's in Huron:


https://berardisrestauranthuron.com/dinner-lunch/


https://danielebrady.blogspot.com/20...nt-memory.html


https://www.hollyeats.com/berardis/



https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...uron_Ohio.html


Berardi's Family Kitchen in Sandusky is operated by a different branch of the family. I've never dined there. How are the Lake Erie yellow perch dinners and sandwiches there?


http://www.sanduskyberardis.com/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2022, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
2,908 posts, read 1,073,079 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
And a personal, central North Coast Ohio, yellow perch favorite, Berardi's in Huron:


https://berardisrestauranthuron.com/dinner-lunch/


https://danielebrady.blogspot.com/20...nt-memory.html


https://www.hollyeats.com/berardis/



https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...uron_Ohio.html


Berardi's Family Kitchen in Sandusky is operated by a different branch of the family. I've never dined there. How are the Lake Erie yellow perch dinners and sandwiches there?


http://www.sanduskyberardis.com/
Comparable. The Sandusky restaurant tends to be busier in my opinion. Being that it is a 3 minute drive from my home I visit there far more often. The portions are very generous!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2022, 06:42 AM
 
13 posts, read 4,209 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No need to be rude. And the question is Ohio's best sandwich, not Ohio's trademark sandwich. Reading is fundamental.
Sure is tomatoes tomatoes. Back to what I said Corned Beef is the best sandwich in OHIO IMO !!! Not Perch. Lol please pack up and leave Ohio. You guys are misrepresenting the state on this forum. Ohioians are not that up tight nor politically correct. You baby boomers are out of touch with the real Ohio. You make us look bad.

Last edited by tmills330; 04-15-2022 at 07:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2022, 07:03 AM
 
13 posts, read 4,209 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Please document that "we" are the largest consumers of corned beef in the nation. Fascinating, if true, but it's a claim that sounds ridiculously made up, especially given our relatively small Irish and Jewish populations compared to NYC.



If you weren't a one-post wonder and had read this forum for years, you wouldn't have any doubts about where I was from, so no other place to "go back" to, especially when requested to do so by some obnoxious poster. And many Greater Clevelanders, including several posters in this thread if you had bothered to read it, will gladly keep our perch sandwiches!
Lol Bro you guys (baby boomers)are sensitive and uptight "politically correct" You guys are misrepresenting true Ohioians. We are not that up tight in Ohio. It may be time to retire
Who cares how many post you have read or made? I don't care about your cliques. I'm allowed my own input. Fried perch sandwiches are not Ohio best sandwich IMO that's just silly to me. And duh NYC has a larger Irish population ;That has nothing to do with the fact native Ohioians particularly North East Ohio enjoy corned beef more than a majority of of the rest of the country. You keep pointing out " if actually I read" I did read I don't have to agree with you..Don't get so offended. Just because you post thousands of times does not make you immune to someone disagreeing with you. Lol I've read is Detroit and Cleveland are the largest consumers of Corned Beef sandwiches. Not really that ridiculous. I am born and raised in Cleveland. And traveled many time back in forth through are state and region. Yeah perch is ok. I don't care how many greater Clevelanders you say many agree. The majority of real youthful " boots on the ground Clevelanders" will go with the the Corned Beef sandwich Polish boy or Roman Burger... You baby boomers may have been offended If I offened you I meant too, I was offened when you said a fried perch sandwich...lol... We need some life on this forum. All of you miserable "cliquey" folks step aside. Your perspective is unrealistic and outdated most of you don't ever leave the suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2022, 07:21 AM
 
13 posts, read 4,209 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
I can assure you in my part of Ohio (North Central), Fried Yellow Perch Sandwiches ARE the trademark sandwich. The Sandusky Fish Company and DeMore's Fish Den both see plenty of my business from May through October.
I can understand you there. Good point.
That may somewhat be the case for that portion of Ohio. But then you have to split that up over all demographics as well. But I can understand maybe North Central. I'm coming from Northeast Ohio. Here it's Corned Beef, kielbasa , Polish boys, or Roman burgers. That's not up for debate I live and breath NE Ohio been living here a majority of my life. So when you have person who post thousands of Post on this forum and the first thing he can say is fried perch sandwich coming from Cleveland Im thinking that's totally misrepresenting. He must be from Willoughby or Ashtabula. Lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2022, 09:44 AM
 
11,489 posts, read 8,977,152 times
Reputation: 7064
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
Sure is tomatoes tomatoes. Back to what I said Corned Beef is the best sandwich in OHIO IMO !!! Not Perch. Lol please pack up and leave Ohio. You guys are misrepresenting the state on this forum. Ohioians are not that up tight nor politically correct. You baby boomers are out of touch with the real Ohio. You make us look bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
Lol Bro you guys (baby boomers)are sensitive and uptight "politically correct" You guys are misrepresenting true Ohioians. We are not that up tight in Ohio. It may be time to retire
Who cares how many post you have read or made? I don't care about your cliques. I'm allowed my own input. Fried perch sandwiches are not Ohio best sandwich IMO that's just silly to me. And duh NYC has a larger Irish population ;That has nothing to do with the fact native Ohioians particularly North East Ohio enjoy corned beef more than a majority of of the rest of the country. You keep pointing out " if actually I read" I did read I don't have to agree with you..Don't get so offended. Just because you post thousands of times does not make you immune to someone disagreeing with you. Lol I've read is Detroit and Cleveland are the largest consumers of Corned Beef sandwiches. Not really that ridiculous. I am born and raised in Cleveland. And traveled many time back in forth through are state and region. Yeah perch is ok. I don't care how many greater Clevelanders you say many agree. The majority of real youthful " boots on the ground Clevelanders" will go with the the Corned Beef sandwich Polish boy or Roman Burger... You baby boomers may have been offended If I offened you I meant too, I was offened when you said a fried perch sandwich...lol... We need some life on this forum. All of you miserable "cliquey" folks step aside. Your perspective is unrealistic and outdated most of you don't ever leave the suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
I can understand you there. Good point.
That may somewhat be the case for that portion of Ohio. But then you have to split that up over all demographics as well. But I can understand maybe North Central. I'm coming from Northeast Ohio. Here it's Corned Beef, kielbasa , Polish boys, or Roman burgers. That's not up for debate I live and breath NE Ohio been living here a majority of my life. So when you have person who post thousands of Post on this forum and the first thing he can say is fried perch sandwich coming from Cleveland Im thinking that's totally misrepresenting. He must be from Willoughby or Ashtabula. Lol
Do you own a deli or something?

"Best" implies a certain amount of uniqueness. Having lived in Cleveland for decades, I resent some fool who says I should leave because I point out that corned beef sandwiches aren't unique to Cleveland, and not even superior here. I once was told that Slyman's imports their corned beef from Chicago by an employee there.

Perch sandwiches are readily available throughout Greater Cleveland, especially in northern areas closer to Lake Erie, most especially during Lent, when fish fries sprout up everywhere. Actually, finding a good corned beef sandwich may be more difficult during Lent than a perch sandwich in many areas.

You're welcome to your opinion, just don't insult others with your brazenly inflated sense of superiority. You're not convincing anyone of anything more than that you are a jerk.

BTW, read through this thread and notice that personally I thought the entry of the Romanburger was excellent, especially since it's not available outside of Ohio!!! A much better sandwich IMO than a Polish Boy loaded ridiculously with French Fries. Also, you've not substantiated your claim that Clevelanders, even on a per capita basis, consume more corned beef than residents of NYC and Chicago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2022, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
39,981 posts, read 70,673,576 times
Reputation: 64373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
Back to what I said Corned Beef is the best sandwich in OHIO IMO !!!
That's not what you said, but whatever.

Quote:
Lol please pack up and leave Ohio
LMAO. The rest of y'all ... Should I tell him/her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
You guys are misrepresenting true Ohioians.
Actually, you are, because when it comes to food, Ohio is too regional for there to be any "true" Ohio food - or any "true" Ohioans, for that matter. I've lived in three of the four corners of the state. If you went to Cincinnati or Dayton or Portsmouth or almost anywhere in southwestern Ohio, your claim of Polish Boy (meh) or Romanburgers (yum, but I haven't had one in a few decades) would be met with curious stares and a possible attempt to run you out of town. All my waxing poetic about my favorite walleye and perch sandwiches fell on deaf ears of my Cincinnati and Dayton friends.

However, Cincinnati, because of the popularity of the local Izzy's chain and its killer reubens, does know about corned beef.

https://izzys.com/about-izzys/

Bottom line: Each of our opinions about Ohio's best sandwiches are opinions only. Not gospel. There's too much regional variety for their to be a trademark sandwich in Ohio.

It's not a difficult fact to grasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
He must be from Willoughby or Ashtabula.
Got a problem with that? Are those two cities no longer in Northeast Ohio?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2022, 06:32 AM
 
11,489 posts, read 8,977,152 times
Reputation: 7064
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
The majority of real youthful " boots on the ground Clevelanders" will go with the the Corned Beef sandwich Polish boy or Roman Burger...

Your argument is muddled by the fact that you confuse popularity with best.


Personally, I greatly enjoy corned beef sandwiches and Reubens. However, culinary trends are decidedly away from meat, and even more decidedly away from ethnic specialties, such as corned beef, and this is especially true among the "youthful," in my personal experience. Persons younger than 40 in my orbit often cringe when I mention my love for corned beef around St. Patrick's Day. And my mention of my passion for veal Wienerschnitzel almost can generate a gag reaction among the young!


https://www.thespruceeats.com/wiener...recipe-1447089


I actually thought of mentioning a veal Wienerschnitzel sandwich, but they are almost impossible to find.


See post 1, where I mentioned that many persons would pick a corned beef sandwich as the best in Greater Cleveland, so I wouldn't have objected to your passion about corned beef sandwiches, as I also share that passion.


Your ridiculously offensive statement was that persons should leave Ohio if they suggested yellow perch as a candidate for "best" over corned beef. Persons suggesting yellow perch were professing not only their enjoyment of yellow perch, but also the certainty that it's a regional specialty not available elsewhere in the country, unlike corned beef.


If you want to judge "best" by popularity, then some hamburger such as from Swensen's, or even McDonald's would have to be considered.


Your elevation of Polish Boys to some holy grail of sandwiches is flat out ridiculous. Where do you buy your Polish Boys??? From my home, I would have to drive at least 20 miles to find a Polish Boy.


Post 19 lists three restaurants that offer Polish Boys. There likely are several others, but they aren't an easy menu item to find. If Polish Boys are such a Cleveland favorite, as you claim, surely you can offer many additional restaurants that serve Polish Boys! Go for it, and provide us with such a list to buttress your claim.


I think Romanburgers are a great suggestion, but they are proprietary to Mr. Hero's. They aren't a generic sandwich such as corned beef or yellow perch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2022, 06:45 AM
 
11,489 posts, read 8,977,152 times
Reputation: 7064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Actually, you are, because when it comes to food, Ohio is too regional for there to be any "true" Ohio food - or any "true" Ohioans, for that matter. I've lived in three of the four corners of the state. If you went to Cincinnati or Dayton or Portsmouth or almost anywhere in southwestern Ohio, your claim of Polish Boy (meh) or Romanburgers (yum, but I haven't had one in a few decades) would be met with curious stares and a possible attempt to run you out of town. All my waxing poetic about my favorite walleye and perch sandwiches fell on deaf ears of my Cincinnati and Dayton friends.

However, Cincinnati, because of the popularity of the local Izzy's chain and its killer reubens, does know about corned beef.

https://izzys.com/about-izzys/

Bottom line: Each of our opinions about Ohio's best sandwiches are opinions only. Not gospel. There's too much regional variety for their to be a trademark sandwich in Ohio.

It's not a difficult fact to grasp.

Your emphasis on Ohio's regional preferences is excellent. When national culinary media pick a Polish Boy or a Troyer's fried balogna sandwich as Ohio's best, they clearly are ignoring availability, even within any given region, let alone the entire state.


Can't give you more cred currently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2022, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Kansas City MO
597 posts, read 493,373 times
Reputation: 1816
Blast from the 70's Cardo's Gondola sub, from the east side of Columbus. A unique sub sandwich on a unique style of bread. Doing a brief internet search, there appear to be some locations still open in Grove City and Pickerington. Try it if you get a chance, hopefully it has not changed too much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top