Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM

65 posts, read 253,222 times

Advertisements

for those of you in the Youngstown area, i need some information about the school system of Springfield Local. we will be moving to North Lima, but just technically within New Springfield Township. we thought our daughter, who starts kindergarten next year, would be going to South Range Schools (the ones her older step-siblings went to), and after asking around and reading their state report card, was rather impressed. my bf is from that area too (he went to Poland, Boardman and Springfield Local).

i am originally from Canton and went to Jackson Local (another excellent, if snobby, school district), so i was rather hopeful... now, after reading the report card for Springfield Local (which, by the way, was rated effective), i am kinda cautious. that cautiousness arises from the fact that there is little racial diversity. we are of mixed race (my daughter and i) and when i see scores only for white children because there is either not enough or no children of any other race...well, i know sometimes there can be problems... (when i went to Jackson, i was pretty much it as far as diversity for the first 2 years of elementary school and i did have some problems with racism).

my question is, does anyone here know anything about that school district? is it good? do the teachers seem to care and work with the students? i am pretty sure about class size, this is a rather tiny place, but i would like some thoughts about it.

thank you in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I don't know much about that school system, but I'm sure SouthRangeFamily can help you out w/that.

As for diversity, i would venture to say that most areas outside of Warren and Youngstown tend to be over 95% white. Especially places that have really small school districts in a rural setting. Some of the big districts like Boardman would have more diversity, as well as big $$$$ areas that have doctors from other countries. Otherwise you are going to be hard pressed to find much diversity in this area.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
I've always thought pretty highly of Springfield Local, but I can't answer those specific questions.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default move to Springfield Twp

Here is a link to a site that may help you with school information.

GreatSchools.net

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

ty for that site, Mike Dunn. between that and the report card the state gives it, i am pretty confident of the academics! it's just i've never encountered a school system where there was pretty much only one race.

all in all, this might be an interesting experience for my daughter.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I graduated from Springfield Local. I am currently an elementary teacher (15 years) and have heard a lot of good things about South Range schools. IMO they support their schools much more than Springfield Township. For example, the state recently said that the district needs to make about $10 million in renovations/ upgrades to bring their schools up to code. It would take $30 million to basically build all new schools and the state of Ohio was ready and willing to give the district $20 million to build those schools if SL would pick up the additional $10 million through a bond issue. One way or another they will have to spend the $10 million. Seems like a no-brainer to me. $10 million for patches, or the same money for all new schools. Getting a bond issue to pass in Springfield Twp.for the schools is very tough to do however and it did not pass. Why not is beyond me. Many people there have a "If it was good enough for me..." and "Teachers make too much..." attitude. So now, the School Board won't get the money from the state, and still have to go back to the voters to try and get the money to make patches.
Google the Springfield Local Schools levy from this past November and you will find articles.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Here is one:

New Schools in Springfield? - from 33 News - We Believe in This Valley

Last edited by tgbwc; 06-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: taking extra info off of link

Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM

since our mailing address is North Lima (but we are technically within New Springfield), i was thinking of seeing if i can get my daughter enrolled in South Range anyhow. i would be willing to drive her to school every day if need be--but i really do want my daughter to get the best education available to her in this area and South Range is the closest and best bet.

hopefully, that will work. she will be starting kindergarten the fall of '09. if it doesn't, i will have to make other arrangements.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikaranotori View Post
since our mailing address is North Lima (but we are technically within New Springfield), i was thinking of seeing if i can get my daughter enrolled in South Range anyhow. i would be willing to drive her to school every day if need be--but i really do want my daughter to get the best education available to her in this area and South Range is the closest and best bet.

hopefully, that will work. she will be starting kindergarten the fall of '09. if it doesn't, i will have to make other arrangements.

I would say that your chances of pulling that off are slim to none.

Beaver, and Green Townships make up the South Range School District. We all have addresses from Salem, Columbiana, Canfield, Greenford, North Lima, and Youngstown. That is why I always tell people to search for a house by school district, not by towns.

When you go to enroll, they don't just ask where you live. They make you prove it. I had to show the deed for my property. Once they establish your address they will go to this website. Mahoning County, Ohio

They will type in your address and all of your county tax information will come up. The very first thing listed is the school district. After that, they will say, "I'm sorry Mam, but this is a closed enrollment district. Your house is in the Springfield Local district."

You don't get to be the best district in the area by hiring stupid employees.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Since I last posted, I have heard some good things about some of the charter and private schools in the area. One of those charter schools is The Youngstown Academy of Excellence. I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about them beyond what is on their website. I also was going to check their state report card as I did with Springfield and South Range.

thank you in advance for any replies i receive.

oh, and we were trying to find a good home with a good price in a really good school district, but with the economy and finances as they were, something with a roof is better than no roof at all. kind of the lesser of two evils predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio