Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyf3491 View Post
to five lakes -- yeah your right with the old stats , much of the crime doesn't --get reported as there is no one to follow up and many of the petty crimes don't get solved -- if one wanted to get into the crime business , this is a good place to be - the county is 720 sq miles and one sherrif to patrol the whole place per shift , geneva onthe lake police dept is a minimum wage outfit so they have the best quality people for the money and they have to cater to the local political enities ( IE: don't stop the drunks as it would drive the business away from the local gin mills) there have been a few accidents involving drunks and the bars are never cited for serving the intoxicated , they stagger in and stagger out and it is business as usual -- The authorities are more than likely greased to stay away or just don't want to become involved --- this whole place has carnival type atmosphere and the same quality people to go with it -- it will be interesting to see the new census stats , one thing for sure , the village Gov't will be crying for more money to keep up with the joneses
Well, I grew up in the area and know it well. Pretty much all of my Family is from and lives in Ashtabula County. My mom even worked at Eddie's Grill when she was in high school back in the 60's LOL. I have not lived in the area since 96, but from what I can tell the county is pretty much the same or worse depending on where you go. Geneva-on-the-Lake, however, does not appear to be nearly as bad as other parts of the county, and at least it draws in some people and maintains businesses. Geneva-on-the-Lake actually looked worse when I was a kid than it does now, or at least that is how it appears on the surface to me. You are right though, many of the people it draws are on the shady side. I would imagine loud bikes and roughnecks coming out of bars would be annoying if you lived right near the strip. I have heard that the county has really started to increase DUI checkpoints. Do you find this to be true? I would not imagine that Geneva-on-the-Lake wants business scared away, but that would not stop other parts of the county.

I don't know what could ever revitalize Ashtabula County. It is economically obsolete and the towns lack any sort of civic vision to make them attractive places to live. Most of the decisions that get made there are utterly ridiculous and just lead to a further downward spiral of the place. I have seen much worse places though. There are some pretty screwed up places in the rural south and in isolated areas out west. It probably does not get much worse in Ohio though, unless you live in an inner-city ghetto.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 04-09-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 PM

7 posts, read 35,878 times
to five lakes -----I live on the outskirts of town although I don't go to the strip that often as I try to stay out of harms way -- the streets are dirty as they don't sweep them or at least i haven't seen it ( gum , cigarettes butts , trash are always present ) in front of my place in the summer the ditches are full , I can fill a garbage can once a week from the beer bottles / trash -- then the bikers open them up going out of town all hours of the night , I have politely spoken to the police about a number of issues( trash , drunken bikers, the smell of mexican parsely, etc.) and their philosophy seems to be don't make any waves , take a close look at them and I'll ask you ,would you feel safe having them "protecting you " they are good at hiding in the bushes giving speeding tickets and the like again money for the general fund -- there were a herd of break ins, never did hear if they solved them -- ten or twenty years ago , although rough , it was almost fun to go there and watch the "characters "walk down the streets and take a wiff, you tell me? they had a police chief pulls a gun on a kid and threatens to kill him , never went to jail then they have some ass--- cop pull a gun and shoot someones dog that was on a chain of course no reprecussions , look at the people in the city hall , you tell me ?? they have a police chief , a village adminastrator and a couple of others for forty grand apiece in wages plus perks ( cars, bennies)-- a population of 1400-- there are about four people who own the town and run things pretty much to their liking-- maybe that's part of the reason things are the way they are -- and of course the place used to be for the working mans vacation ( when your mom worked at Eddies ) and now there are no working men as the steel mills and the like are no longer -- seems to be many have tried to make it here on the strip and have left broke , I'm sure some were capable but couldn't handle the perasites and some other business enities-- where do ya think it will be in ten years if things stay the same ?? love to hear your reply

Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyf3491 View Post
where do ya think it will be in ten years if things stay the same ?? love to hear your reply
In 10 years? I would say Geneva-on-the-Lake will be about the same. I do think it has potential though. Right know it caters to a lower class type of tourist to stay competitive, and that is where it has made it's niche in recent decades. If it's ever to get beyond that it needs a way to draw in some higher income people down there. How is that going to happen? I don't know. Maybe it can play off of the regions winery business and mold itself into a Napa Valley style tourist town? But then again, Ohio is no Northern California. I do think that increasing the winery business and creating a more bed & breakfast type atmosphere would be a legit way to tone down the place though. That being said, I would not want to see Geneva-on-the-Lake being taken over by a bunch of annoying wine drinking yuppies either. LOL

I think many of the problems you have with the place come with the territory when dealing with a tourist destination, especially when one of the main draws are the bars. Anyplace that has a bunch of people partying and drinking is going to have a certain amount of unruly behavior associated with it. I'm sure having a big biker crowd does not help matters, but I think there will always be a certain amount of such behavior as long as Geneva-on-the-Lake remains a tourist town. If it was not a tourist town it would probably be a deserted dump bringing in no tax dollars like some of the other central business districts in the county, which I don't see as a better alternative. Geneva-on-the-Lake has at least maintained a consistent business presence, and I bet Ashtabula or Conneaut would love that kind of business activity in there downtowns or on Bridge Street in the Harbor.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,340 times
Default Ashtabula Featured in "Deliverance II"

I grew up in the Tulsa, OK area - then lived in Houston, TX for about 5 years - moved to Holland, MI for a year - Painesvile/Mentor for 11 years and have now been living in Ashtabula for about 6 months. I lost my home in Lake County and had to move in with my boyfriend who is a lifelong resident of Ashtabula. Now living in a trailer park for the 1st time in my life. This is the epitome of "rock bottom" by Oklahoma standards and this garbage heap of a town fills in all the other details in the horror novel that is now my life. This town is literally like either an alien planet, or a 3rd world country. This is the most economically depressed town I've ever experienced with a shockingly undereducated population. Proper grammar and common knowledge is foreign around here. Haven't met ANYONE who speaks beyond an elementary level and common manners are unheard of. Young girls and women who burp, spit, fart, smack their food, chew with their mouths open and eat with the utensil dexterity of a toddler. Men too, but, hey............let's admit that to be a little more socially acceptable. I've been looking for a job in Ohio for over 2 years now because I was stupid enough to quit a decent job thinking that I could just go out and find another due to my talent and experience. It's been a nightmare of epic proportions and now that I'm stuck in this hellhole.............employment is but a pipe dream. Speaking of..........EVERYONE in this town is either shooting meth or shooting oxycontin. I'm truly embarrassed for this town's existence and most especially for the sad fact that I have to call it home. I have zero chance of rebuilding my life here. People may rave about the beautiful landscapes of the outskirts and what fun it was back in its hey day, but this town wasn't pumping out Rhodes Scholars or MENSA members back then either. Nor, was a book of etiquette EVER checked out of the library by any resident. That's why the children aren't any better. It's really sad meeting people, most of whom went to private Catholic schools, with absolutely no evidence of having received a basic education. But, hands down, I'm the most appalled by the lack of table manners and social skills here. And don't EVEN expect good service in the hospitality industry here!!!! Hospitality, common decency and courteous customer service is a completely foreign concept in Ashtabula. I wouldn't recommend that anyone come here for any reason. Unless you are only coming into town to buy drugs or bail a friend out of jail. If it's the latter, you better be loaded because that's the only funding this town gets. Bogus arrests and 10-times-the-national-average-sized court costs and fines. I think that any random ghetto in Mississippi would be a better choice than Ashtabama. And, for all of the hometown feathers I might ruffle here..................I WOULD MOVE IF I COULD AND HAVE THAT AS MY #1 HOPE AND FUTURE DREAM.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybell View Post
I grew up in the Tulsa, OK area - then lived in Houston, TX for about 5 years - moved to Holland, MI for a year - Painesvile/Mentor for 11 years and have now been living in Ashtabula for about 6 months. I lost my home in Lake County and had to move in with my boyfriend who is a lifelong resident of Ashtabula. Now living in a trailer park for the 1st time in my life. This is the epitome of "rock bottom" by Oklahoma standards and this garbage heap of a town fills in all the other details in the horror novel that is now my life. This town is literally like either an alien planet, or a 3rd world country. This is the most economically depressed town I've ever experienced with a shockingly undereducated population. Proper grammar and common knowledge is foreign around here. Haven't met ANYONE who speaks beyond an elementary level and common manners are unheard of. Young girls and women who burp, spit, fart, smack their food, chew with their mouths open and eat with the utensil dexterity of a toddler. Men too, but, hey............let's admit that to be a little more socially acceptable. I've been looking for a job in Ohio for over 2 years now because I was stupid enough to quit a decent job thinking that I could just go out and find another due to my talent and experience. It's been a nightmare of epic proportions and now that I'm stuck in this hellhole.............employment is but a pipe dream. Speaking of..........EVERYONE in this town is either shooting meth or shooting oxycontin. I'm truly embarrassed for this town's existence and most especially for the sad fact that I have to call it home. I have zero chance of rebuilding my life here. People may rave about the beautiful landscapes of the outskirts and what fun it was back in its hey day, but this town wasn't pumping out Rhodes Scholars or MENSA members back then either. Nor, was a book of etiquette EVER checked out of the library by any resident. That's why the children aren't any better. It's really sad meeting people, most of whom went to private Catholic schools, with absolutely no evidence of having received a basic education. But, hands down, I'm the most appalled by the lack of table manners and social skills here. And don't EVEN expect good service in the hospitality industry here!!!! Hospitality, common decency and courteous customer service is a completely foreign concept in Ashtabula. I wouldn't recommend that anyone come here for any reason. Unless you are only coming into town to buy drugs or bail a friend out of jail. If it's the latter, you better be loaded because that's the only funding this town gets. Bogus arrests and 10-times-the-national-average-sized court costs and fines. I think that any random ghetto in Mississippi would be a better choice than Ashtabama. And, for all of the hometown feathers I might ruffle here..................I WOULD MOVE IF I COULD AND HAVE THAT AS MY #1 HOPE AND FUTURE DREAM.
Um, I don't have the best things to say about the place either (see my other posts), but this is over the top. I assure you that not everyone form Ashtabula is some Jerry Springer Show type degenerate, even if it has more than its share of them. Sounds like your situation has made you bitter (understandably so). Believe it or not I have been to worse places in this country.

As far as jobs go, Ashtabula is an easy drive to Cleveland, Akron, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Columbus for interviews. So it's not like it's isolated from civilization.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM

the first time I have been on in while , now lets see what is happened , 43 % of the population is in absolute poverty, a few more factories , businesses have closed , the police are have more shoot outs , armed stick ups are on the rise , they even have gone to holding up the salvation army, now ya to admit that's getting down there -- taxes are doubling and going up even more as many people are leaving the area-- tired of shopping for illegal drugs , no problem , we have door to door delivery -- just last week, a young couple were shot in the back of the head ,excution style , this is an excelent place to come if ya like the thrill and rush of the low lifes -- walk in a restaurant and listen to the people eating with their mouths open and the heavy weight ladys emitting a foul gas oder, just the place i would like to come for a little R&R-- but of course the local leadership states that thing are great , roads are not plowed , no police on patrol , homes and businesses burglarized , but is an on going investigation --one family had a alert system installed in their home for protection and got a call from the alarm company to inform them that their home was being broken into and they called the police , 25minutes later the alrm company called them again to state the bandits were in their bedroom helping themselves and of course the police arrived two hours and forty four minutes later to investigate and this is what happens in the land of losers and high taxes --what is incomprehensible is the fathers of sewer ville on the lake wanted the locals to up their taxes so they could remodel an out dated golf house and build all new buildings for maintence people -- there are plenty of empty houses to be had so come on up and join this highly advanced society

Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 AM

11 posts, read 32,951 times
Ashtabula County is the largest county in Ohio as far as area. I moved out here just last spring to a little town near Andover about 20 minutes south of the city of Ashtabula. We chose this area because we love the country. My experience out here has been all good, the people are very friendly, I got nice neighbors, The houses are affordable and the taxes are not outrageous. We got a beautiful little farm house on 3 acres for a great price. We live near Pymatuning State Park a very nice park with a great swimming beach area. I might have to drive 20 minutes to get to Walmart but after living all over the Ohio area and farther. I would rather drive a little then be in the hectic chaos of a larger city or suburb. Life is a bit more simple out here. I wouldn't live in big city anywhere, you might have the convienance of shopping anywhere, whenever, but how much stuff do people need. It's ok with me we go and get all the stuff people think they need at their yard sales for like 95% off what they paid for it, some still have price tags on them. The country life ain't for everyone but if your looking for a nice affordable area, I think Ashtabula County is a good choice. As far as the City of Ashtabula it seems just like any other city I've driven through. We actually like there little mall they have and the lake front is beautiful with the docks and shipping yards. I think Jefferson is a nice little town and Geneva on the Lake is pretty busy during the summer months. So all in all I like this area . Every area has its problems and bad people. I know there are bad areas in Ashtabula, but where aren't there bad areas? One bad neighbor can make your life miserable no matter where you live. Most people that hate an area are usually part of the problem. I have heard in the news recently that heroin usage is up in the USA but they are white middleclass areas mostly young white girls that live in nice areas. So whats the difference between a black person smoking meth in a poor depressed area or a rich white girl doing heroin in a upper class area? The problems we are seeing are because of a decline of the family unit and values. We want to take God out of everything, then we want to blame everything on God.

Last edited by TRUTH4YOU; 02-26-2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM

to truth 4 you -- you must work for an out of town concern or at the lodge at sewer ville on the lake , as you seem to be removed from reality , the mall , buildings vacant , stores vacant , buildings abandoned , vacant houses for 3 to 5 years , copper thefts and on and on -- peoples taxes have jumped dramatically in the last couple of years as to pay for the LODGE and all these NEW SCHOOLS -- as the population dwindles , these leader ship idiots tax and spend more than will ever bring in -- I personally know of people living out in your area with 2 and 3 thousand $ tax bills for glorified crap houses on little one type roads , maybe the appraiser needs to look at your pad but you more than likely have the income to suffice -- drive down lake ave and tell me what kind of people you see , the type that you want your daughter to date , or for that matter go to the mall at 8:30 pm on a given night -- must be you go to work and go home and are missing the homeless in jefferson or the copper pipes in conneaut -- are there a couple hundred good paying jobs where you're at or is your company like the peoples republic of walmart @ $7.70 an hour -- I don't think the good lord would condon the way *******bula is going-- wanna bet that it will be worse in two years than it is right now with the economy recovering -- try a nice first quality neighbor hood like station ave , lake ave , east 38th street etc. get out in the real world and then say what you see have a nice day and God bless

Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 32,951 times
LOL. No I dont work for anybody like that, I am self -employed my taxes are only 1200 a year for a nice 3 acre farm with house, 3 car garage, and 2 small out buildings, Like i said i would never move into any larger city. I try not to go to the mall at nite anywhere, why take a chance. If you live smartly you can avoid trouble. trouble is in every city and more populated areas but it sure is nice and peaceful out here in the sticks. Why would I want to go to a known bad area to expeience crime? Do you think Ashthabula is the only city with crime in it? I don't, thats why I said its best to live in the country, Like the Bible says...stay out of the cities....PEACE

Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,865 times
ya thats true
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
beautiful, clear, and completely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio