U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM

146 posts, read 735,644 times

Advertisements

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...1110333/-1/all

Ohio again leads the nation in home foreclosures, an indicator of how the state's lag in adding jobs is leading people to have trouble paying their bills, economists say. Ohio lost 4.5 percent of its jobs from 2001 to 2003, more than double the national rate of 2 percent, said Richard DeKaser, chief economist at Cleveland-based National City Bank. Since then, he said, "The nation has since recovered those jobs and added more, but Ohio hasn't."

Ohio had the highest rate of foreclosures for one- to four-unit residences in the third quarter of 2006, according to a study by the Mortgage Bankers Association. Here are the top five states, compared with the national average:

State...Foreclosure rate

1. Ohio...3.32%

2. Indiana...2.90%

3. Michigan...2.20%

4. Mississippi...1.90%

5. Oklahoma...1.66%

United States...1.05%

Source: Mortgage Bankers Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 90,365 times
That's mostly due to companies like Dominion pushing dangerous mortgages. on ignorant buyers who want to live above their means.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 28,068 times
Default Foreclosures in Ohio

Part of the problem is predatory lending, but it is also do to the double whanny of job loss combined with catastrophic health problems. That is more than most of us can take. Then the predators come to "help out". Always important to look at your options when you start to get into financial trouble. There are options like short sales, and legitimate financing that can really save your credit before you face foreclosure.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM

24 posts, read 96,943 times
Not only does Ohio lead the nation in Foreclosures , it also leads the country in Preditory Lending. In fact , about 50% of the foreclosures in the state are due to preditory lending practices. I don't know how many times i run into individuals who are facing foreclosure that have been the victim of a preditory loan.

Whats even sadder is the fact that that statistic doesn't even include short sales or deeds-in-lieu which are pre-foreclosure properties. If you factored that in , it would be even higher.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:49 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,714,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNerd View Post
That's mostly due to companies like Dominion pushing dangerous mortgages. on ignorant buyers who want to live above their means.
Yes, it's the minimum wage Wal-mart greeters and $7.00 an hour factory job workers that are living beyond their means by actually eating meat, milk, and cheese once or twice a week instead of their daily ration of ramen noodles and 2 for a dollar white bread at Aldi's or Save-a-lot.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,081,404 times
I am really supprised Ohio leads in forclosures. I thought it would be California, Florida, New Jersey or some other expensive state! Much of Ohio has very affordable housing, I always wondered how someone can get a house he paid a few thousand forclosed!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM

79 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Yes, it's the minimum wage Wal-mart greeters and $7.00 an hour factory job workers that are living beyond their means by actually eating meat, milk, and cheese once or twice a week instead of their daily ration of ramen noodles and 2 for a dollar white bread at Aldi's or Save-a-lot.
I miss Aldi's. Anyways back on topic here...Even though foreclosers are not a great thing, it is a nice thing for people like me who are trying to buy a house in an area that has a lot of them. Lots of houses for sale and few people buying means lower prices for people like me.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:34 PM

79 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am really supprised Ohio leads in forclosures. I thought it would be California, Florida, New Jersey or some other expensive state! Much of Ohio has very affordable housing, I always wondered how someone can get a house he paid a few thousand forclosed!
Because what happens is that people find that cheap house and then they realize they don't like the town they are living in. They don't pay the property taxes and the city forecloses on the house.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:31 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,081,404 times
They would be better off selling it than just walking away from the house. Forclosures ruin their credit!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 34,782 times
Maybe if there were better paying jobs people wouldn't face foreclouser. When your factory closes and all you can find is wal-mart at a quarter of what you were making it is hard to keep up. There are alot of good people who love to own there house but the poor quality of jobs won't allow it and banks don't care your nothing more than a number to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or