U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,337,011 times
Well, i hate to say it, but our area is not very diverse, it's all black and white. Warren has a decent number of black singles/families, but if you want me to be honest most of them are not professionals, same with many of the white families in town.

Sadly our area has a lot of unskilled, non-educated types. Now, i'm not saying all blue collar people are unskilled or stupid, because i used to be a grunt on the line at Delphi making wiring harnesses, not because i have a low skill set, but because when i was offered the job i was a 20 year old college student working for $6.25/hour in 1999. When i got hired at Delphi i doubled my hourly rate to almost $12/hr. By the time i left 7 years later i was working (still hourly) in engineering doing testing and validation on electrical components and i was making $40k-$50k/year. Now i'm "educated" with a degree in business management, i run a business office at an elder care facility, drive further and make $12/hr again, just like i did 11 years ago as an "uneducated" person.

So, as you can tell the mahoning valley is a blue collar area. Many people in their 50s and 60s worked at GM, Delphi or the steel mills. Most of those people's children went to college and moved away for good. Nowadays some city children (in Warren) and a good percentage of suburban children get degrees and move because they can't find a job around here. Unfortunately what you have left in our cities are low-class people w/minimum wage jobs or no jobs at all, sadly. In Youngstown and some seedier areas of Warren (especially those areas on the west side heading to Lordstown) a lot of people are desperate, they're miserable, we're talking drug addicts, broken families, prostitutes, etc. Everyone else is stuck there with no means to get out.

Anyway (sorry for the rant, just wanted to give you some background).................

Most of our suburbs are 98% white and some are rural. If you want to be near like minded people within your class (lets face it, america is divided by class), i would suggest Howland. There you will find a good mix of people. Lots of professionals, business owners, doctors, lawyers, GM employees, ex Delphi management, blue collar workers, teachers, office people, etc. You can rent a nice condo here: PMD Builders - Sawgrass Condominium Rental Community in Howland Township, Warren Ohio (http://www.pmdbuilders.com/index.cfm?method=Communities.CommunityDetail&ID=8 - broken link)

If you want to take it down a notch i would look into Simco_NorthburyColony it's in Warren, but Howland schools so it's a pretty safe area for the most part, but it's from the 70s and not as nice as Sawgrass, but cheaper. You also may want to look into renting a house on the Ne side of Warren. Somewhere north of E. Market around Genesee or near the Trumbull Country Club. Check out www.tribtoday.com for home rentals.

I would suggest Cortland/Bazetta, but we don't have the rentals that you're looking for here and let's face it, you would be kind of rare here. My parents live in a neighborhood ($300k homes) where there is one black family, they aren't from the area and the dad works in management for GM. I don't think they get treated badly. When i was going to school the 5 or 6 black kids (pretty sad, huh?) in my high school were treated pretty well as far as i can tell.

So i hope i wasn't too much of a downer, i don't want to scare you about the area, but i'm sure you've heard your share of bad things or bad impressions from the reputation our area has, but there are many good things going on here, it's just going to take time and patience for things to turn back around. I for one am not leaving anytime soon. I'm 31 now and i figure by the time i'm 60 or 70 people will be flocking back to the rust belt, hopefully reviving our nearly dead cities, but while we wait for a that to happen we have to start the change ourselves.

Good luck with your transfer and finding a place. Welcome to the Mahoning Valley.

~Cort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM

6 posts, read 9,606 times
The condo looks like what we had in mind . . . thank you!!

Where could I go in the Howland area to watch some football and have a beer . . . chill, unwind, have a drink and a few hot wings? Is there a movie theater?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM

I thought you might like those condos, nicest i've seen in the area. Most of our rentals around here were build pre-1975 when the area was still growing.

Do you want to see some good high school football or college? Football in general is huge around here, especially high school football. If you move to the Howland location you can go watch the Howland Tigers, their stadium is not far from those condos at all. They are pretty good this year. My dad tells me they have a sophomore running back that is pretty awesome (supposedly Ohio State is looking at him) and a good offensive lineman (?), i forget, he told me about it last week! lol You might also want to check out some Warren Harding games (also not far at all, maybe 5 minutes), they play all the big Ohio Schools, Lakewood St. Ed's, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Canton McKinley, Massillion Washington, etc. The Warren area has a history of producing some great players, Harding - the Browner brothers, Paul Warfield, Korey Stringer, Clarett (he's from Ytown though), Manningham, Burgess, Herron, etc. Howland's had some good players as well. Doug Datish that played for the Buckeyes a few years ago is from Howland.

Check out Ohio High School Sports: Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Scores, Rankings - JJHuddle's Ohio High for the high school football rundown.

You might also want to check out a Youngstown State game if you get the chance. They aren't what they were when Tressel was there, but it's still a good time.

If your looking for a movie theater, drive 5 minutes to the Eastwood Mall. There is a Boulevard Center there and a cheap theater. Also, Warren has two drive-in theaters, Skyway and Elm Rd. I prefer the drive in, it's cheaper and you get 2 movies for the price of one. http://www.elmroadtripledrivein.com/
Skyway Drive-In Theatre I prefer Elm rd and if you live in Sawgrass it's very close, maybe 5 minutes.

For some beer and hot wings: BW3 at the Eastwood Mall complex, Cleats on Elm Rd., Little Wing on Mahoning Ave (i think, never been there, but heard good things). You also definitely have to make the drive over to Sharon, Pa and try Quaker Steak and Lube. Best wings!! They have a location in Austintown right off of I-80, but you have to go to the original in downtown Sharon. Quaker Steak and Lube® : Coop Rocks the End Zone

You also have to try Eli's Barbecue on Niles Rd. just don't go at night, it's in a not so nice area, plus i don't think they have a dining room, just go in pick some up and go home to eat.

Here's some more great food you have to have if you live here:

Uncle Nick's Greek Fried Chicken at the Buena Vista Cafe in Warren (everyone goes here before the Harding games)

The Sunrise Inn on E. Market in Warren, you can't live in the Mahoning Valley without trying some Brier Hill Pizza. You can't get it anywhere else!

The Hot Dog Shoppe, just chili dogs and fries anywhere!
YouTube - Homeplate - Hot Dog Shoppe - Warren, Ohio

For fine dining you should check out:
Alberini's Restaurant- Dining at its finest!
YouTube - Metro Monthly - Homeplate - Alberini's Restaurant

Youngstown Eats: Cafe 422

Restaurant, Italian Dining, Gourmet Dining, Banquet Facilities, Culinary Excellence, Suberb Hospitality, Warren, Ohio, Trumbull County, Howland OH, Leo, Leos Howland OH
YouTube - Homeplate - Leo's Ristorante - Warren, Ohio

Eat at The V

Welcome To Enzo's

Big City Chophouse Restaurant - Locations Canton, Warren Ohio. (http://www.bigcitychophouse.com/Big_City_Chophouse2.html - broken link)

Ok, i know that's a lot of stuff, but we love our food here, especially Italian as you can see. Please notice these are all locally owned places, my boyfriend and i rarely go to chains.........once you have our food you'll never want to go to Olive Garden again! lol

YouTube - Metro Monthly - Homeplate - Guy's BBQ Sauce

YouTube - Homeplate - 2009 Italian Festivals - Mahoning Valley, Ohio

YouTube - Metro Monthly - Homeplate - Burton, Ohio Maple Syrup

Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChild06 View Post
The condo looks like what we had in mind . . . thank you!!

Where could I go in the Howland area to watch some football and have a beer . . . chill, unwind, have a drink and a few hot wings? Is there a movie theater?
OMG, i'm such an airhead! I don't know why i was thinking live football. You meant on tv! There are a good number of bars and restaurants that show college and nfl games. I think the wing places are most popular, but there are others as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,606 times
LOL . . . i might pass on the HS sports --- a good sports bar, large screen, and a cold one is more up my alley. I love football, so going to see YSU play might be a good bet too. Unless I see something that blows my mind between now and Wednesday, I will likely be a Sawgrass resident. I did see another condo on Craigslist that was rent to own. It was nice, but I don't want to buy right now, until I'm sure that I will be here for a while. Once again, thank you CortlandGirl, for all of your time and suggestions . . . for everything. You ever consider working for the tourism bureau, lol.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

122 posts, read 280,155 times
CortlandGirl...thank you so much for posting those video clips. I really enjoyed watching all of them. Brings back good memories, esp. the Burton maple syrup.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChild06 View Post
LOL . . . i might pass on the HS sports --- a good sports bar, large screen, and a cold one is more up my alley. I love football, so going to see YSU play might be a good bet too. Unless I see something that blows my mind between now and Wednesday, I will likely be a Sawgrass resident. I did see another condo on Craigslist that was rent to own. It was nice, but I don't want to buy right now, until I'm sure that I will be here for a while. Once again, thank you CortlandGirl, for all of your time and suggestions . . . for everything. You ever consider working for the tourism bureau, lol.
You are very welcome! lol You don't know how many people here and in real life tell me that. My friends are always teasing me because i love the Mahoning Valley so much. They consider me a fountain of useless knowlegde when it comes to these things. Thankfully there are people here that consider my knowledge useful. hehe

BTW, keep in touch and let us know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I would especially be interested in hearing how you are treated by people in the area. I know you are concerned with the race thing, so i would be interested in hearing what you experience when it comes to that as well.

Good luck in your new home and always feel free to hit me up for some info. Welcome again!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
CortlandGirl...thank you so much for posting those video clips. I really enjoyed watching all of them. Brings back good memories, esp. the Burton maple syrup.
You're welcome. I enjoyed watching them too! I know Burton isn't really in our area, but i love taking that "one tank trip" so much. When i was a kid my dad always took us there to see them make maple syrup and maple sugar candy (still a fav of mine). Dad still buys my the little "people" candy whenever he is up that way. Last year my brother brought his girlfriend up from North Carolina and she was blown away by the whole thing. BTW, you can order sugar and candy on the Burton Chamber website. I just discovered this the other day, might have to send some as a gift to soem out of town friends for xmas.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 AM

2,844 posts, read 1,861,071 times
Quote:
lets face it, america is divided by class
America is divided by wealth status, not by educational achievements. A status of a Ph.D. making 25k while temping from one lab to another for many, many years before being discarded (there are tens of thousands of these) is just about the same as that of a GED man making 30k (doing equally (or less) brain numbing work). His/Her 25k and no clear career future will not buy them a membership to a country club or acceptance by higher status crowd.

Humans are status animals and maximizing your status is what keeps "civilization" and economy going. As long as there are folks with lower status than yours, your life is "success". If you can't find many real lower status folks to feel better about yourself you can imagine them, you can imagine entire lower status groups if you wish. Persistent racism of white working class, trailer trash & redneck jokes, skilled-unskilled, educated-uneducated, etc., etc. is nothing but attempt to create lower status groups in ones mind in order to feel better about his/her lot & "success". And it is cheap, by the power of imagination alone you can boost your status to infinity and beyond

Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
I have been reading all these messages and am being transferred to the gm plant in lords town. Looking for a rental house, that is not old run down or in a bad are any suggestions please e-mail me at [email]candiovert@aol.com[/email]
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio