Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,873,093 times

Advertisements

Fifteen Midwest counties made the list of U.S. Census Bureau's list of America's 100 fastest-growing counties*.
Nearly all of these counties could be considered exurban, as most are located on the fringe of an urbanized area. I've included the rate of population growth and the metro area/nearest major city:

Two of them are located in Ohio (Columbus and Cincinnati)

2. Kendall County, IL- 61.7% -Chicago
12. Lincoln County, SD- 45.9% -Sioux Falls
13. Delaware County, OH- 42.5% -Columbus
21. Scott County, MN- 38.7% -Twin Cities
26. Hamilton County, IN- 37.3% -Indianapolis
33. Dallas County, IA- 33.7% -Des Moines
36. Will County, IL- 33.0% -Chicago
38. Sherburne County, MN- 31.9% -Twin Cities
54. Christian County, MO- 29.9% -Springfield
68. Lincoln County, MO- 28.7% -St Louis
73. Wright County, MN- 27.6% -Twin Cities
80. Warren County, OH- 26.8% -Cincinnati
81. St Croix County, WI- 26.7% -Twin Cities
85. Hendricks County, IN- 26.0% -Indianapolis
87. Boone County, IL- 25.9% -Rockford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
I'm not sure that this is cause for celebration. It's just evidence that an increasing number of Americans are choosing to live 1 county away from their big-city jobs. The more expensive fuel gets, the more dubious a choice that is.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,334,780 times
Yea that list looks like a clear indicator Ohio is barely puttering along. It has seven cities over five hundred thousand people and only two counties seeing decent growth in the top eighty-seven you listed. Those counties could be growing from people leaving other instate areas too. Booooo~

Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm not sure that this is cause for celebration. It's just evidence that an increasing number of Americans are choosing to live 1 county away from their big-city jobs. The more expensive fuel gets, the more dubious a choice that is.
I got $20 worth of gas the other day, that's 4.79 gallons @ $4.16/gallon ... DT Cincy is the largest center of employment in the region with Clifton (Uptown) being second, we will be seeing a huge increase of people moving closer to the city center if this keeps up. Which it will.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,701,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Yea that list looks like a clear indicator Ohio is barely puttering along. It has seven cities over five hundred thousand people and only two counties seeing decent growth in the top eighty-seven you listed. Those counties could be growing from people leaving other instate areas too. Booooo~
Well said! Nothing like debunking spin! It is one thing to say that an area is growing in population, but when you are robbing peter to pay paul, the increase is irreverent! The population is just transfered, not increased overall.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM

67 posts, read 369,132 times
Not sure whether this really matters, but for the record, Warren County is closer to Dayton, not Cincinnati. I was just on vacation in North Carolina, told someone I was from Dayton, and heard the usual "Oh, isn't that an old industrial town?" question in response. The fact that Warren County is actually growing should be a bright spot for the Dayton metro area ("Miami Valley"). Instead, Cincinnati gets the credit .

Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile42 View Post
Instead, Cincinnati gets the credit .
We'll be one metro by 2010 anyway.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,873,093 times
Yes, as you can see with this new population growth, the sparwl is getting ridiculous. You can see this in many of the major metros on this list. But this is a national thing these days. Look at cities out west. Phoenix and Las Vegas. The sprawl is terrible.

People need to move back into the cities. Urban living is starting to become a popular trend, but it needs to move quicker IMO.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 34,030 times
Nope. I do Not live in either one.
God Bless.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,817,071 times
We moved to Franklin County, but not too far from the Delaware line. IMO, this just shows that Columbus and Cincinnati MSAs are holding there own and not losing populations.

On the subject of suburban sprawl, I agree that it has gotten out of hand, but this is not a new phenomenon. IMO, urban areas have done little over the past several decades to entice the majority of middle class families to pick the city over suburbia.

We picked suburbia because it offered us what is most important to us - good schools. I would love to be closer to Columbus proper - and the only option that seemed viable was Upper Arlington. Homes there we found were okay, dated and over-priced. The Columbus suburbs offered us the schools and housing we were looking for.

Even knowing that gas prices will most definitely rise higher, I don't feel the urge to move closer in. The suburb I picked offers everything my family needs / wants at the right price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio